Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Will portable gas grill work with LP tank on Coach?

Just bought my first motorhome which has a 30lb propane tank with an outside door with connection to the tank.

My limited understanding is that the Coach is a low pressure LP system while a typical portable gas grill is high pressure.

If the portable grill has a regulator, is compatible? If so, other than a hose to connect the two, do I need anything else between the Coach and the grill? Thanks
marco1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:00 PM   #2

Some grills are designed to work with a low pressure system, some aren't. I would think the owner's manual of the grill will designate what pressure are acceptable.
Your MH will have 11-14" of water column, roughly 1/2PSI.
If the grill takes a higher pressure, it will have it's own regulator and could run directly off the high pressure side of your LP system, which is before the MH regulator.
You don't want to "double" regulate LP going to the grill; it will get too low.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Normally the external LP connection is after the regulator. On mine, I had to remove the regulator on the grill to have enough pressure for the grill to work from the MH's LP connection. Try it and see if you have a full flame or not.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If your grill has a regulator, then just get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0014J...8-1&precache=1

It installs between the tank and the regulator. Now you have a high pressure outlet and hose for your grill. You also have an additional connection to add an additional bottle. Good for long stays and not taking the RV on propane hunts
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #5

My take is "Yes, but. . ". We have a Weber Q100 grill for the MH. I considered removing its regulator and connecting to the LP side of the MH regulator.

I then read a few posts on this site and a couple of others that hinted that the low flow rate of the grill was too low for the full RV regulator to manage. I then studied tapping into the high-pressure side of the MH propane system, but didn't like the idea of 15' or so of hose with HP propane in it draped across the landscape.

My final set-up is a "squatty" 10-lb tank, which uses the same base ring as the 20-pounders. I got a base stabilizer ring from CW and bolted it down in an external stow-bin. The "squatty' fits the ring well and I haven't found a need for additional tie-downs. If I keep it part filled, it's not too heavy to move around.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #6

Transport question

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
My final set-up is a "squatty" 10-lb tank, which uses the same base ring as the 20-pounders. I got a base stabilizer ring from CW and bolted it down in an external stow-bin. The "squatty' fits the ring well and I haven't found a need for additional tie-downs. If I keep it part filled, it's not too heavy to move around.
I was just wondering today about this very topic. We've got a 15-lb tank for our gas grill. It fits nicely in the big bay, upright, but the bay is not ventilated. We'd like to take it with us on a trip, but I've got some concerns about the lack of ventilation. Those of you who do transport portable tanks, where do you put the tanks - the bay, in the toad (if the rig is a motorhome), __??__?

Thanks!

Larry
GiddyupgoTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I just carry mine in a bay and have for years. If it leaked I wouldn't use it, let alone carry it.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two devices: Extend-a-flow, for trailers with removable tanks, Extend-a-stay for Motor homes with tanks that are firmly bolted in.

They both let you run a HIGH PRESSURE hose to a grill that is designed to work with the throw away bottles.. now the Tim-Allen "More power" Grills with the million BTU burners... Won't work with this device, they need a dedicated tank (ok, so nobody makes a million BTU job that I know of I was being,,, Tim Taylor for a bit there, What was the company, "Binford" he represented?)

In addition the extend-a-stay lets you use the luggable tank for the above grill to feed propane to the motor home should the main tank run out on you.. Done it a few times too I have.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed what Wa8yxm mentioned. The Extendastay or stay awhile Tee works great and goes between the tank valve and the regulator. Just watch because some only have the bbq port while others also include the port for the external bottle like he mentioned. For the few extra bucks get the one with both connections to open up your options. Bought one of those coleman grills that use the small disposable bottles because they are high pressure grills, a 12 foot hose and you can bbq like a champ without having to carry small bottles or a separate bbq tank around.
Yes and I think Binford does indeed make a 1 million btu bbq!

HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #10

I have the weber Q100 and use the throw away canisters. I have been camping since Jan. 1st and gone through 3 canisters. Unless you are cooking for very long periods of time the canisters are fine. You can move the grill very easily and store the unused canisters when moving. We cook out an average of three times a week and haven't found the canisters to be a problem even when we had guests. YRMV.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I also had extend a stay added and it works GREAT with my Weber Q100...gave my disposable propane cylinders away!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank