Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 02:58 PM   #1

Window a/c unit: where does condensation go?

Hi all,

I have a 2021 Braxton Creek Bushwhacker Plus 17BH (large teardrop/small travel trailer). It has a 5,000 BTU Frigidaire window AC unit. To avoid having the unit stick way out to the side, the AC is mounted with most of the bulk of the unit inside the trailer, and only about 1/2 - 5/8 of an inch sticking out.

When I run the AC unit, I rarely ever see any condensation dripping on the outside. I know it is generating condensation because I can hear water trickling for several seconds after I shut the unit off. I don't see any water inside the trailer, nothing on the wall beneath the AC or under the cabinet that contains it, and there is no water getting into the fridge chimney/controls compartment, which is located directly below the AC unit.

Any idea where the condensation could be going? My fear is that it is somehow going down into the wall, but so far I'm not seeing any evidence of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_151325_resized.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	344289   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_151337_resized.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	537.8 KB
ID:	344290  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210926_151451_resized.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	344291  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:20 PM   #2

I have had residential window units that are set up to blow the condesate through the condenser to help cool it. That could be why you only see a small amount of condensate. Also it will depend on what the humidity is where you are at.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of the window style units, use a slinger ring on the condenser fan that will pick up the condensation and throw it into the condenser. It helps a little on cooling and eliminated most of the condensate.

Ken
Old 09-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

The other posters are correct, most likely it's just evaporating, but normally window air conditioners are mounted slightly leaning back and if the condensation builds up it just drips out the back of the tray. Usually there's a little low point that it would drip out of. But if it's leaning forward, it will drip inside.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:43 AM   #5

Thanks for that info, guys. I didn't know about the slinger ring. I'm used to walking down the street and seeing lots of water dripping out of window units in the buildings.

The unit does appear to have a metal pan under it, which I can just barely see when I'm looking at it from the outside. I suppose that would prevent any condensation from going down into the wall. If it was tilted the wrong way, the condensation would end up inside the trailer, but that isn't happening as far as I can tell. One morning after the unit had been running throughout a rainy night, I did see some condensation dripping on the outside, so I guess it has to be really humid for it to generate enough condensation to run out.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:55 AM   #6

My old trailer had one mounted like that. Before I rebuilt the tray, it dripped down into the wall cavity, got the insulation incredibly wet, and eventually came out the bottom of the trailer. (heh) After I rebuilt the tray it dripped down the outside, which is what it was supposed to do all along.

Tags
wind, window