Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winegard Carryout, mounting, splitting wire/cable

I've had the Winegard Carryout for several years now, have decided to mount it on the rear ladder of my rig. Capable of most things; however, disclaimer here, being a woman not too sure about running lines to the front of rig for connection. So this is my idea to solve the problem, cut the coax cable, along with 12v line about 10ft down from ladder mount. Install connectors to the 2 ends, one a coax female, the other for the 12v line. Question what would I use to connect and disconnect the 12v line, is there some type of plug. OR, I could leave it long enough to reach the battery bank, use the clip on cig lighter to a battery, and install the male end on the line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
GoldmyneGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we have the portable Winegard and had it a ladder mount on our Holiday Rambler...the cables that came with it were long enough to travel down the ladder and under the coach into a bay....we had cables attached to the side of the ladder using double sided 3M tape and dicor. We eventually made a roof mount from the ladder mount and permanently attached that to the roof.
We now have the ACE which has a TPO roof so I don't think it would be wise to mess with that. Our Winegard dish is now used on the ground. We ran the plug in cable from the receiver down behind the window cover and into the bay area used for shoe storage. It is wound up on a spool so it is nice and neat...we plug the other cable into the cigarette lighter and out the window, once the receiver gets the signal we disconnect that cable.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My thinking is, I don't want to deal with 50' of cords, it's gotta go somewhere. If the carryout was permanently wired up on the ladder with 10' or so of cords down the ladder with plug ins. It would then be possible to bring the cables out the pass window, down the rig plugging into cables at ladder. Make any sense?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

I'm kinda anal about wires being seen, so bear with me. Mounting on the ladder sounds OK. Cut the end off the coax and drill a hole in the ladder uprights. Run the coax inside the ladder and bring it out the bottom. Go to West Marine and buy a thru deck fitting for the size coax you are using, about 6 bucks. You can terminate the coax inside the coach at any place using a household cable jack. Then you may run the interior coax any where you choose to.

I do things better than I write about so I hope you get the idea.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldmyneGD View Post
I've had the Winegard Carryout for several years now, have decided to mount it on the rear ladder of my rig. Capable of most things; however, disclaimer here, being a woman not too sure about running lines to the front of rig for connection. So this is my idea to solve the problem, cut the coax cable, along with 12v line about 10ft down from ladder mount. Install connectors to the 2 ends, one a coax female, the other for the 12v line. Question what would I use to connect and disconnect the 12v line, is there some type of plug. OR, I could leave it long enough to reach the battery bank, use the clip on cig lighter to a battery, and install the male end on the line. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
We put a 12 volt cigarette lighter plug in the electric bay tapping into the light fixture there to provide 12 volts. The Cable in connector is also there so it is a short 6 foot run from the carryout to the connection in the electrical bay. Works for us on the 2003 KSDP. Good luck...
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coaster 1 and Calhyatt, THANKS for your suggestions. Really like the idea of running the lines through the ladder uprights, nice and clean. Will definitely do it. The 12v cig lighter plug and coax connecter in a bay works also.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have ours in a back bay with the 50' coiled up. I too have a cig lighter wired to the light. Have had to on a few occasions remove it from ladder to use on ground as there was signal blockage.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #8

The ladder mount kit comes with a plate. The instructions say to drill a hole in the roof and put the wires through using the plate and Dicor to seal. But where to drill ? Once you get through the roof is there room to maneuver and go down the side wall into the basement?If that is possible then I could connect to the campground connection provided. I already have a 12v connection there. Stan B.
stan38jean37 is offline   Reply With Quote