Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2022, 07:26 AM   #1

Winterize for two days?

Not done fall camping but have two days of freezing temps coming. One 28 degrees, next night 24.

Can I keep the heater running to avoid putting anti-freeze in the pipes. Have an enclosed under belly.
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2022, 07:37 AM   #2

When winterize late when it’s below freezing I keep the heat set at 55f.
Did it for many yrs and camped until late November here in Pennsylvania.
Make sure it’s about 55f
If it’s below freezing for one or two hours I do nothing.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
Not done fall camping but have two days of freezing temps coming. One 28 degrees, next night 24.

Can I keep the heater running to avoid putting anti-freeze in the pipes. Have an enclosed under belly.
Without knowing what RV you have, it's really not possible to give you an answer, plus what happens if someone here says no problem, then your RV freezes ?
In gambling, sometimes your win, sometimes lose.

To vaguely answer your question, as long as it's getting above freezing during the day, you're probably ok.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It takes many days of temps consistently below freezing for those temps having any effect on the mass that is a RV. Especially if the RV is being heated. Any warm ups during the day preclude this from happening as well.

Your city water hose is the only thing that will freeze that quickly. You should remove it and live off of your fresh tank until temps rise during the day.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:55 AM   #5

Got a 2022 Keystone Passport SL 229rk. Just getting back from a trip today and I can leave it in my driveway until the freezing is over. No water hookup and I can use the propane or space heaters or both. Have a 30 amp plug with easy access.

It has the extended season package. Which from what I can figure it just a 2" pipe blowing from the furnace to the underbelly.
breeves2245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post

Without knowing what rig you have all answers from me are generic.
The enclosed underbelly on 5th wheels and travel trailers are the yard sign material you see around town. The heated underbelly is a furnace duct is left opened and that heats the under belly.
If the temp gets down to 24 degrees for an extended period of time, if you have low point drains, if these are exposed outside the rig, they could freeze. If this low point drains freeze, it could go up inside the rig, resulting in freezing a section of the water lines, blocking water to the rest of the rig.
Now, how about your hot water tank? Will it freeze up, maybe, maybe not.

Are you going to have the rig plugged in for the 2 days you are talking about? Assuming you are not going to be plugged in and you only have 2 12V batteries, will these last for your furnace for the 2 days if not plugged in to a 120VAC outlet. Your furnace uses 12VDC to operate the fan blower.

Apparently, I was typing and posting while you were talking about the rig.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #7
Community Moderator

If camping for a couple of days I would not worry about it. Camped in my fifth wheel trailer over a couple of winters in South Lake Tahoe with very cold temperature on long weekends from mid October to end of April and did not find I needed to winterize the trailer between visits.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:22 PM   #8

24 is a hard freeze. You need some heat piped into the underbelly. I live in Montana, All kinds of people lose rv plumbing, mobile home plumbing, boat motors etc on bad advice. A 300 watt ceramic down in the belly close to the water pipes and heat in the coach should cover you.

Tags
winter, winterize