Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Winterizing

I have been wondering about at what point damage will actually happen to your coach if it were left unattended and un-winterized. I have always been very cautious about this so when my coach has not been fully winterized and the forecast calls for temps to be below 34* I will turn the Aquahot electric element on in the late afternoon. If the temps are forecast to be below about 26* i will also turn on the burner. I have been thinking this is a little overkill and that I could get away with moving those temps down a little. My suspicion is that it also has to do with how long the temps will be below freezing and if there will be wind to blow that cold air into the far reaches of the coach. For instance, I have doubts that even if the temps got below freezing for 4-6 hours eventually reaching 25* on a calm night tha anything in the coach would actually freeze enough to actually do damage. I have always been too chicken to risk it though. Does anyone have any science to prove or disprove what I am saying?
BTW: Please don't answer with the "Why risk it?" answer, I am just wondering what the actual point is where damage will likely occur.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pardon the pun, but we are on "thin ice" here. Yes, if the water (coach) has been warm, and it's not windy, you have some time.. Even days. However, you must realize that the damage occurs at the freezing point... -when the water crystallizes. Colder than that, and the ice actually shrinks.
When it's close to freezing, I either run the furnace heat, or winterize.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concord View Post
Pardon the pun, but we are on "thin ice" here. Yes, if the water (coach) has been warm, and it's not windy, you have some time.. Even days. However, you must realize that the damage occurs at the freezing point... -when the water crystallizes. Colder than that, and the ice actually shrinks.
When it's close to freezing, I either run the furnace heat, or winterize.
I do the same, but this is just for the sake of discussion. So you are saying that another factor in this equation is the previous days temp as well. If it was in the 50s or 60s during the day as opposed to being in the upper 30s all day would make a big difference as well. That makes perfect sense.
Old 12-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I have doubts that even if the temps got below freezing for 4-6 hours eventually reaching 25* on a calm night tha anything in the coach would actually freeze enough to actually do damage.
There isn't a "freeze enough" point. When the water freezes, it expands by about 10%.

I suspect on a calm night there are places inside the MH that don't drop below freezing.

It would be difficult to predict exactly how the heat conducts out of any particular pipe or component and then reaches the freezing temperature. Obviously a pipe thats at 33 degrees and gets exposed to 25 degree blowing wind will reach the freezing point much faster than the same pipe thats buried inside a insulated wall.

Here are two examples of fail to winterize

This one we discovered immediately after we purchased our Southwind. The gray tank drain pipe burst. I suspect that water in the valve and in the tank froze first. plugging up both ends of the pipe. Then when the water in the pipe froze, it couldn't expand, so it burst the pipe.

Gray tank water leak – 1999 Southwind 35S

This one happened last year. This is a low point drain that didn't get drained properly.

Winterize – FAIL – Broken water pipe – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Colder than that, and the ice actually shrinks.
Say what!!!!!
Please provide your source for that information.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
Say what!!!!!
Please provide your source for that information.
https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...ing-ice.74593/
Old 12-22-2019, 07:29 AM   #7

If water is at low pressure in a pipe, then it won't swell to pipe bursting pressures until it get's into the low 20F's. Now if water in the pipe is at high pressure, say 60psi, then pipe bursting pressure could be attained at a warmer temp, say 28F.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty tough to ignore physics. (P*V)/T=k. Pressure times volume divided by temperature is equal to a constant. The exception being that water crystallizes at freezing, which makes it expand at the molecular level. After that, it shrinks as it gets colder just like everything else.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I run about the same program as the OP with the lower temps protocol. If it is 40 plus during the day and down to 25 or so at night for only a couple of hours I don't worry too much. Closer to freezing in the day time or below 25 at night and the heater goes on. If I am leaving the bus for a few days I turn the heater on just in case.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Can you provide a more credible source than an internet forum of people of unknown qualifications expressing opinions on the subject?
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/density_anomalies.html

Best I can find.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Pretty tough to ignore physics. (P*V)/T=k. Pressure times volume divided by temperature is equal to a constant. The exception being that water crystallizes at freezing, which makes it expand at the molecular level. After that, it shrinks as it gets colder just like everything else.

NO! Ice will expand when it gets colder, that is why it floats. Ice will be less dense than water, if ice were to shrink, then it would sink as it became denser.

(Internet search)

Does ice expand as it gets colder?
Ice, on the other hand, is very unusual in that, as it gets colder, although the particles are certainly vibrating less for the reason explained above, it nonetheless expands or gets larger. The reason for this is due to the strange shape of water molecules. ... And so ice expands when it freezes.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Between 0 and -4 C water expands as it crystalizes. The rest of the temperature spectrum it behaves a other elements... Expands with heat, contracts with cold.

You are welcome to believe what you like. My job is NOT to teach you remedial physics.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Where is Bill Nye the science guy when we need him?

Tags
winter