RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #1

Winterizing Samsung RF18HFENBSR icemaker?

Just replaced the dying Dometic with a Samsung RF18HFENBSR. Don't know what to do with all the room and an icemaker that works. The installer didn't have specific information on winterizing nor did the product manual.

I went on live chat with Samsung customer support. They said to disconnect the water line 24 hours before turning off the refrigerator but leave the icemaker on. This would dump the ice tray and allow the solenoid to open numerous time thus allowing the water to drain into the ice tray and back down the water line.

This makes sense to me. Is this how you winterize your Samsung icemaker?
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 09:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I "winterize" my Samsung RF-197 (similar to the R-18 model) by driving farther south until the average temps are in the 70's.

Seriously, the ice cubes left in the tray are nothing to worry about as they are frozen anyway. You have to clear the water supply line and water solenoid at the rear of the fridge. How to best accomplish that is up to you.

You can try air pressure and blow them out, disconnect and drain them, or pump the "RV Pink Stuff" through the water supply lines. In the spring just clear the antifreeze by running the ice maker until the ice cubes are clear of any leftover antifreeze.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I "winterize" my Samsung RF-197 (similar to the R-18 model) by driving farther south until the average temps are in the 70's.

Seriously, the ice cubes left in the tray are nothing to worry about as they are frozen anyway. You have to clear the water supply line and water solenoid at the rear of the fridge. How to best accomplish that is up to you.

You can try air pressure and blow them out, disconnect and drain them, or pump the "RV Pink Stuff" through the water supply lines. In the spring just clear the antifreeze by running the ice maker until the ice cubes are clear of any leftover antifreeze.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for your reply. I was wanting information specific to the instructions from Samsung. I really don't want to put the pink stuff through the icemaker.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I installed my Samsung 197, I installed a straight coupling connector at the rear of the fridge for the supply and fridge lines to facilitate winterizing. I winterize mine by disconnecting the water supply and leaving the ice maker on. The first cycle that it attempts to refill the tray, all the water in the fridge line drains out. I also blow out and put anti-freeze in the supply line but do nothing more with the line to the fridge.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
When I installed my Samsung 197, I installed a straight coupling connector at the rear of the fridge for the supply and fridge lines to facilitate winterizing. I winterize mine by disconnecting the water supply and leaving the ice maker on. The first cycle that it attempts to refill the tray, all the water in the fridge line drains out. I also blow out and put anti-freeze in the supply line but do nothing more with the line to the fridge.
Thanks! That is basically what Samsung told me.

Tags
winter