Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2021, 08:16 AM   #1

Winterizing - Water filters require a lot of antifreeze

Has anyone come up with a slick way to "fill" water filter canisters so they don't require so much anti-freeze in the winterizing process, or has anyone found a "dummy" canister maybe only an inch or two tall to install in place of the filter canister for winterizing?

Too bad they don't install by-passes like they do for water heaters. I remove the canisters so I can remove the filters before pumping the anti-freeze, but it takes a lot to fill the empty canisters in the process and then it always makes such an anti-freeze mess removing the canisters again when the job is nearly complete.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our RV dealer had a round rubber circle that fits on top of the gasket so you don’t fill the canister. You can also use a empty plastic soda bottle to fill up space on the canister,but you will have the pink stuff still in the canister.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #3

I remove mine and store indoors. The water that's inline to the drinking tap in my MH is run in a way that the water or antifreeze can be drained through the low point drain.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #4

I blow mine out using compressed air, remove the old filter and leave the housing empty.
My winterizing line goes to the pump inlet and bypasses the filter so the housing remains empty.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #5

i just remove the filter and replace it with a plug that came with the unit. if you don't have the plug ang RV dealer should have them or be able to get them.
Old 10-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've used a large plastic soda bottle.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #7

They sell a rubber seal and metal plate that fits the canister and prevents having to fill with antifreeze.

Purchased at the local RV Dealer parts store.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:46 AM   #8

Ok, all, some great ideas. A couple of them were on my list of "Gee, I wish someone would make something like that!", but I didn't know that some one did. Yay!

Alan and Gigatime both described what sounds like a GREAT idea! I will check out one or more of the local RV stores and see if they have those. Winemaker2's plan of doing it with air is not bad, but it won't work for our coach for two reasons. One, a tankless water heater, like the hydronic (AquaHot for example) units should not be winterized with air, alone. Two, my filter is plumbed in a manner that I can not bypass it. Dang! I like RK911's description. That may be the same as Alan and Gigatime, but maybe not. I'll look for something with that description at one of our RV stores, too. As for 96Wideglide, that's what I'd tumbled to yesterday afternoon. I need about 2 ¾" x 9", and one of our Gatorade bottles comes pretty close. That may actually be the simplest and easiest solution.

The nice thing about a floatable "plug" is the fact that as the full canister is unscrewed after winterizing, the plug will rise and that will lower the fluid level in the canister beginning immediately thus minimizing the spillage.

Great ideas, all. I'm not so concerned with wasting anti-freeze, as what I take from the canisters at the end of the process, I put into the drain p-traps to winterize them. More than anything it is reducing the mess and minimizing the size of the "accident" when removing the canisters after the winterizing is finished. As I get older, I find that I'm more "clumsy" and mishaps are more frequent. Plus the filter in our coach is in an awkward location (aren't they all???) that makes it difficult to get it out without bending and twisting. I'd rather spill a couple of ounces than a couple of quarts.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use this one. Works great. Watts Winterizing Plate
Old 10-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why not just pull the filter canister off and store it in the sink, so you remember to put it back in the spring ?
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Winterizing - Water filters require a lot of antifreeze

When I first installed my filter set I plumbed a bypass into the system, for use when changing filter elements, as shown. Could also be useful for winterizing. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	347262
We’re fulltime and never winterize, and I soon realized this was overkill in terms of filter changes, so some years ago I removed the bypass to regain the vertical space.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After removing the cartridge from the filter canister I blow my lines out with air. I then let the canister fill with antifreeze so I can winterize my electric toilet and washing machine.

When I'm done I pour the antifreeze from the filter canister back into one of the antifreeze jugs for next year's use.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #13

Thank you, RichKimball. I placed my order. Looks like a remarkably simple solution. Reviews suggested some had issues, but it looks pretty simple and easy to avoid cockpit error.

As for saving the antifreeze for another year, I've done that, too. ButI label it so that it does NOT get pumped into the coach's fresh water lines. Contamination is not our friend. I do use it in the p-traps or for winterizing them.

Thank you all for your ideas. I still prefer winterizing by taking our coaches south for the winter. We did that for 15 years with our '06 Dynasty. Now we're in a '21 Entegra Esteem 27U and things are way different. Cheers all!!

Tags
free, water, winter