Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Wire and Fuse Size for Inverter

I am installing an 1100 watt inverter. I am not very good with electric, but think I have the main circuit figured out. Image attached.

I think the cable from the battery to the inverter will be less than 8 feet.

Questions ...
1. What size cable and what size fuse would be appropriate?
2. Where can I get suitable connectors welded to the ends of the cables?

Thanx in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InverterLayout.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	11743  
CYingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Look in the manual for the inverter. It probably says what size wire and fuse to use. The manual for my Magnum does.

Call a local big truck repair shop and ask them who does their heavy DC power cables. I don't think they need to be welded, but they might need to be soldered. You can probably get the parts at a local auto or marine supply shop.

joe
Old 06-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Based on your requirements I would suggest your fuse size should be at least 150 amp “T” link fuse. This is a special link fuse with a slow blow characteristics. The purpose of the fuse is to protect the cable. For an 8 foot run and a maximum 3% voltage drop you could use a #2 copper stranded welding cable for a voltage drop of 2.68%. Welding cable is preferred because of its fine stranding making it very pliable and easy to train. You can probably get the cable connectors swedged on where you buy the welding cable.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Most NAPA auto parts stores carry flexible 2/0 battery cable in bulk. They can also cut and install the ends on the cables for you.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Thanx for the reply. I was thinking #2 and 100 amp. But I guess that would trip on surge startups of some devices, so I will go with #2 and 150 AMP.

THANX!!!
CYingling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had my cables made at a local battery shop.

02 gauge will give you about a 2% voltage drop for 8 feet of wire.
1/0 gauge would have about a 1.3% drop.
2/0 about a 1% drop.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two hints I found help.. ONe: Cable size,, If they say #2, try #1 or zero.

Second the two cables (positive and negative) for as much of the run as you can TAPE THEM together or use a wire loom to hold them together,,, Your inverter may well thank you.

Camping world followed the book on mine.. which lasted not a year.. The replacement (Warranted) I installed.. Bigger wire, Taped as recommended 5 years and counting.

Tags
fuse, inverter