Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 12:00 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Wire size and type for inverter install?

Getting ready to upgrade my battery and inverter. Using a 280ah battery lifepo4 battery. I'm thinking of using this kit to install it.

0 Gauge Amplfier Power Kit for Amp Install Wiring 1/0 Ga Cables 4500W 200 ANL https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014S32UMU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_8Y1SAHHCNSSZGCPNA4F3

What are people's thoughts? I've been using it in many high powered stereo installs for the last 30 plus years with never a problem.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 12:23 AM   #2

My 3000W inverter calls for 4/0 wire and that's what I used. Also use a 300A fuse.

What size inverter? The max discharge specs of the larger Ah lithium tend to be lower than the typical 100Ah batteries. So you need to be aware of that limitation as well

Big inverters call for big wire
Old 09-13-2021, 12:24 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Depends on the size of the inverter and how much current you expect the battery cables to carry. Most inverters have the manual on line, so you could look at that. I have 600 AH LI/ON batteries, and use 2/0 welding cable. Much less voltage drop, and normally required by the inverter/charger maker for a 2k inverter.
Old 09-13-2021, 02:19 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
So as long as I use the right size wire. There should be no problem with the type of wire? This wire is so much cheaper than welding wire.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:47 AM   #5

Welding wire is a lot better to use than standard automotive cable. It has more and finer wires so it's a much more flexible cable.

Inverters should be installed with the positive and negative cables both going directly to the batteries. Steel isn't as good a conductor as copper and at high power will become a factor in the inverter's operation.

At a quick glance the second set of lugs is optional and uses a set screw to retain the cable. Connections should be crimped and sealed for longevity. I'd keep looking, maybe a solar place that builds custom cables, some welding suppliers make custom cables.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:58 AM   #6

I guess I dont see the advantages of welding wire in an application where the wire is run once and fastened in place. Flex can actually hurt you unless it is very well secured more closely so it doesn't flex. For marine applications welding wire is not recommended due to the vibration and potential flex adjacent to a secured location. The flexing at the same location over time can cause breakage of strands.
More important IMO would be the quality of terminals, crimps and the protection ( shrink wrap) at terminals.
Using tinned power lugs (vs starter lugs) and good / professional crimps worth paying attention to.
See for more details & tips.
https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:40 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
You can use whatever suits you. We are just making recommendations based on our own experience.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I guess I dont see the advantages of welding wire in an application where the wire is run once and fastened in place. Flex can actually hurt you unless it is very well secured more closely so it doesn't flex. For marine applications welding wire is not recommended due to the vibration and potential flex adjacent to a secured location.
Sometimes cable has to flex. The battery tray on my current motor home extends 24". Controlling welding cable was relatively easy with springs and saddles to support the cables. I did another sliding battery tray that was much more confined and used welding cable inside pieces of flexible conduit clamped together so they moved like a drag chain.

Sometimes it's nice when cable flexes. When you upgrade and have to drag 14 ft of 3/0 cable where the #2 was originally routed (during, not after, construction) flexibility is really nice. There are reasons to use welding cable.

RVs aren't recommended for marine applications either. I'd be willing to bet if you put a hull under an RV and start flying across the water the welding cable would be fine after the RV had disintegrated. Problems in one machine aren't necessarily a serious concern in another.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Getting ready to upgrade my battery and inverter. Using a 280ah battery lifepo4 battery. I'm thinking of using this kit to install it.

0 Gauge Amplfier Power Kit for Amp Install Wiring 1/0 Ga Cables 4500W 200 ANL https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014S32UMU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_8Y1SAHHCNSSZGCPNA4F3

What are people's thoughts? I've been using it in many high powered stereo installs for the last 30 plus years with never a problem.
If you read closely, that is Copper Coated Aluminum (CCA) not copper. That's why it's so much cheaper than pure copper. Big, huge, ginormous difference from pure copper welding cable. The other issue is they never list a temp rating for the insulation. That makes a difference when picking the gauge you need.

Pay the money to get the good stuff.
800W Solar > 412 aH LiFePO4 > Victron MultiPlus II
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter