Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Wiring 4 group 27 in parallel

Hello all, I installed my 4 Trojan 27tmh deep cycle battery in the rv. My issue is, do the batteries need to be wired in a certain way? Example, the battery tray is 2 batteries front, and 2 batteries behind them. I do left front to left rear and right front to left rear and connect in a criss cross with cables.
The problem started because old cables were worn out. So I use a series of small 2 Guage cables to connect them. I had new battery cables made, and they will not make the bends that need to happen to parallel the batteries. Any ideas? I'd appreciate your input. Was also thinking about welding cable, and just having the things made again. Thanks, Chris
crockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
your best bet is for all cables to be of the same length
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

This should be what you are looking for.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #4

This is how mine are done. I made the cables to fit using 00 welding cable.
Sorry about the upside down pic. Only seems to do this when I post to this forum???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	84345  
Old 01-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

Thanks Dennis for your reply. Mine are 12 volt, so the batteries are only in parallel. I'm just not sure if the batteries have to be wired in a certain sequence so only one battery is being used. Chris
Old 01-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

Pds47, thanks for your reply. Cable the same length? Do you mean 1 cable each for positive and negative? .. I went to using short jumpers because to remove the battery cables is a PITA. Thanks, Chris
Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #7
KIX

I've found that a good source for custom battery cables using welding cable is via a golf cart shop.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #8

Kix, thanks for your reply. That's a good idea. I had regular cables made, and they just couldn't make the bends necessary. So, it didn't work. Spent over $100 on cables I can't use. I tried to have the shop cut them down, but still would not work. Chris
Old 01-26-2015, 11:33 PM   #9

Copied from marksrv.com,
batteries are wired like this usually.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:58 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
This is how mine are done. I made the cables to fit using 00 welding cable.
Sorry about the upside down pic. Only seems to do this when I post to this forum???
I was going to say that that looks like a Newmar then I read your sig!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #11

Why does everyone keep sending 6 volt battery wiring plans? Tha OP has 4, 12 volt batteries!

You could pick up 2, 400 amp power posts or buss bars. Run your jumpers to them and then connect to your outgoing cables.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Why does everyone keep sending 6 volt battery wiring plans? Tha OP has 4, 12 volt batteries!

You could pick up 2, 400 amp power posts or buss bars. Run your jumpers to them and then connect to your outgoing cables.
Left side of Ray's pic is all 12vdc but I think you can't answer the physical connection question without a picture of the tray and battery orientation. Basically, all the positives together and then all the negatives together. As suggested, buss bars or power posts make it simple.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...ost_Connectors
Old 01-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #13

As long as we are talking short cables the answer is electrically there is no discernible difference. Throw a 20 ft cable in the mix and I might change my mind. ;-) Mechanically it might be a lot easier to alternate batteries. As long as it's electrically correct there is no problem.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockwood View Post
Thanks Dennis for your reply. Mine are 12 volt, so the batteries are only in parallel. I'm just not sure if the batteries have to be wired in a certain sequence so only one battery is being used. Chris
"so only one battery is being used"?????? Either I don't know as much as I think I do about parallel wiring, or "we" need to do some more research and develop a better understanding of what "we" are doing.

Am I reading this wrong??
stik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring