Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Wiring Generator starter battery & isolator

A friend's toyhauler has a generator starting battery and isolator that was installed by the previous owner. We were discussing the isolator function after the generator was started. (or on shore power). MY question is:

IF the house batteries and starter battery are isolated, how does the converter/charger "sense" the required charge needed to charge and maintain a set of deep cycle batteries and a standard starting battery with generator or shore power?

I found this isolator site
Hellroaring Battery Isolator/Combiner notes for Multi-Battery isolation in RV/Camper/Trailer Applications

It has diagrams, but not one for an RV with a gennie.

I think it would be an advantage to have a starting battery for the gennie. I think there is more to the install than wiring and an isolator. I wish it could be that easy. Then again, I do over analyze things Any input or info would be appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

My generator seems to start off of the engine battery rather than the house batteries.

In answer to your question...an isolator is essentially a diode that allows electrical current to flow in one direction only. Once the voltage on the input side of the system exceeds that on the battery side of the system, current flows, thus charging the battery. There is one caveat to this. There is a voltage drop of as much as .7V across the diode/isolator. This means that if there is an isolator, the batteries will always see less voltage than might be necessary for a full charge.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #3

In order to answer your question we would need a drawing of how this setup is connected. Additionall, given the PO installed this setup himself, is this a aftermarket generator that comes with a battery in it? Is this a diode or relay isolator? If diode, is the 12VDC charging output from the generator the isolator input? What type/model generator? Far to many possible varibles

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

The toyhauler (5th wheel) came from the factory with a 4k Onan. Which was started with house batteries. The PO added the starting battery and isolator which appears to be an off the shelf "blue" type. The converter was also upgraded to one with float charging capabilities. I will try and find out the exact make/models of the parts.

I do understand how this (basic) system works in a motorhome. Would like to know how it would/should work in a generator only, 2 separate battery bank system in a towable.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Some Onans do not have a 12VDC charging output so the converter would be the primary charging source (input to isolator). For Onans that do have a 12VDC charging circuit, it is only rated for 10 amps so you may still want the converter to be the primary input to the isolator.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
See if this meets your needs - includes a wiring diagram and description of how it allows charging either set/bank of batteries from either the engine (alternator) or converter (powered by either genny or shore pwr) by automatically and manually (with a dash switch) determining when to tie both sets/banks of batteries together for charging and/or emergency starting with 1 hi power solenoid. This is what our RV came from the factory with.

http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTE...300839.100.pdf
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Why not just installing a Battery Minder, Battery Tender or similar charger for this added starting battery and make life simple.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
Most likely, the PO, got tired of not being able to start the Gen if the house batteries were low, and since it does not have a starting battery, (Trailers have no engine)
The PO simply added a starting battery for the Gen. The isolator is to keep the starting battery from being drrained with the house batteries, while still being charged by the Converter. That way, if he were to drain the house batteries, too low, ( I know, bad for the batteries, yes) he could still start the Gen.
K.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Why not just installing a Battery Minder, Battery Tender or similar charger for this added starting battery and make life simple.
WOW! How simple is that! I feel so Homer Simpson! DOH! That sure does make sense. I am sure someone will or has devised a isolating method that I was thinking about. Let someone else buy it. Keep it simple! Thanks Mr. Wizard!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Your welcome.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:33 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Why not just install a Battery Minder, Battery Tender or similar charger for this added starting battery and make life simple.
I would recommend installing a Trik-L-Start versus a Battery Minder or Battery Tender. They are great keeping two sets of separate battery banks fully charged at the same time.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator, wiring