Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Xantrex breaker trips when plugged into 50amp

I bet this is simple, but I don't see the answer obvious somewhere. I'm plugged into a 50amp service at my house. I want to keep the rig warm and have two space heaters in there. If I draw too much power, the breaker on the Xantrex trips. Why? I'm plugged in and getting power from shore. It should be the house breakers it is running through. I was assuming that the xantrex should only pop when running off of battery.

I had the remote set to charge batteries, which I understand engages the xantrex and batteries. Does this also mean that all power will have to come from it when charging? I can't charge the battery and run from shore?

Not sure if I'm missing something, confused or have something not connected properly under there.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
There are circuits in your coach that work off the inverter, and circuits that do not. For instance, A/Cs, washer/dryer, fireplace, etc are high current circuits, and are wired only from the main circuit breaker box.

There are other circuits that get their power from the Xantrex, which has an internal transfer switch inside it. In my case, my Magnum is powered by the main circuit breaker via a 30amp breaker. I have 4 circuits that are connected to the output of the Magnum (via a subpanel in the circuit breaker box), and those circuits each have a 20 amp breaker.

However the input to the Magnum only at max gets 30 amps, of which some of that current also powers the charger portion of the Magnum. So if the combination of those circuits exceed 30 amps, the breaker will trip.

Most all of my sockets(plugs) are on circuits that are wired thru the pass thru of the inverter, but I do have one circuit that is not. Therefore I plug one heater into that circuit which gets it's power directly from the main circuit breaker box. I can put another heater on a circuit thru the inverter, but only put it on low power else the total load will trip the breaker. I also have access to the washer/dryer plug, so I'll unplug the dryer and plug a heater in there, as that is another circuit that does NOT go thru the inverter.

I'll attach a schematic of my coach which I created, which visually shows this. You'd have something similar but obviously not identical. Using my graphic, you preferable want to find sockets that are connected to the 4 circuits on my 'green' colored leg, OR you want to find sockets that are connected to the main breaker box 3 'red' colored leg (not the top one which powers the inverter).

One other idea for you. My Magnum is configurable so that I can set the maximum current that the charge portion can use (of the total 30amps that is available). When I'm connected to 20 or 30 amp shorepower, I'll set the charger to the minimum current setting, which leaves the bulk of the remaining 30 amps available for the circuits attached to the passthru transfer switch portion. Hopefully your Xantrex has a similar capability.

You may have a breaker box like mine which is actually electrically two pieces and has what is called a 'sub-panel', or you may have a totally separate small circuit breaker box. Functionally they are similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrical Shore two legs and SubPanel circuits large.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	178850  
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Easy fix is to just run drop cords from house to inside Rv and plug in heaters, then you can let the inverter work and keep batteries charged and avoid overloading it. I would suggest you learn how your electric is set up as Kiawah suggest, you will probably need to know that info at some point.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
I bet this is simple, but I don't see the answer obvious somewhere. I'm plugged into a 50amp service at my house. I want to keep the rig warm and have two space heaters in there. If I draw too much power, the breaker on the Xantrex trips. Why? I'm plugged in and getting power from shore. It should be the house breakers it is running through. I was assuming that the xantrex should only pop when running off of battery.

I had the remote set to charge batteries, which I understand engages the xantrex and batteries. Does this also mean that all power will have to come from it when charging? I can't charge the battery and run from shore?

Not sure if I'm missing something, confused or have something not connected properly under there.

On my 05 Monaco Sig. all the outlets go thru the Xantrex.
If you look at your Aladdin monitor you can see as a batteries get charged the amperage will drop also if you plug in a heater you will see what total amperage is being used on that leg.

You will also be able to tell which outlets are connected to leg L1 or L2 by watch the monitor.
You will only be able to use 50 amp of power, by adding the 2 leg amps together, is your total amps used.

C&SL
05 Sig.

Just look at your signature info & seen you have a Silverleaf monitor installed, not sure how that shows the power, as I do not have one of them.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Just look at your signature info & seen you have a Silverleaf monitor installed, not sure how that shows the power, as I do not have one of them.
Silverleaf VMSpc is an application which displays engine, transmission, fuel, mileage, speed, etc information "Gauges" for diesels (ie chassis info). I also have it running on a small laptop on the dash.

It doesn't monitor/display (house) AC voltages or currents.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club

I was thinking he had a HMS365 Silverleaf unit installed on his coach.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #7

Thanks, I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookAtUSNow View Post
Easy fix is to just run drop cords from house to inside Rv and plug in heaters, then you can let the inverter work and keep batteries charged and avoid overloading it. I would suggest you learn how your electric is set up as Kiawah suggest, you will probably need to know that info at some point.
You're hilarious! Don't you think this is why I'm asking? Trying to learn on an older rig. Others out there have a Monaco with Xantrex. Hoping to get actual experience from them so I can learn how this works.
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 10-05-2017, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
On my 05 Monaco Sig. all the outlets go thru the Xantrex.
If you look at your Aladdin monitor you can see as a batteries get charged the amperage will drop also if you plug in a heater you will see what total amperage is being used on that leg.

You will also be able to tell which outlets are connected to leg L1 or L2 by watch the monitor.
You will only be able to use 50 amp of power, by adding the 2 leg amps together, is your total amps used.

C&SL
05 Sig.

Silverleaf monitors the engine and provides data from the transmission as well....not house power. Very cool and works well.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
There are circuits in your coach that work off the inverter, and circuits that do not. For instance, A/Cs, washer/dryer, fireplace, etc are high current circuits, and are wired only from the main circuit breaker box.

There are other circuits that get their power from the Xantrex, which has an internal transfer switch inside it. In my case, my Magnum is powered by the main circuit breaker via a 30amp breaker. I have 4 circuits that are connected to the output of the Magnum (via a subpanel in the circuit breaker box), and those circuits each have a 20 amp breaker.

However the input to the Magnum only at max gets 30 amps, of which some of that current also powers the charger portion of the Magnum. So if the combination of those circuits exceed 30 amps, the breaker will trip.

Most all of my sockets(plugs) are on circuits that are wired thru the pass thru of the inverter, but I do have one circuit that is not. Therefore I plug one heater into that circuit which gets it's power directly from the main circuit breaker box. I can put another heater on a circuit thru the inverter, but only put it on low power else the total load will trip the breaker. I also have access to the washer/dryer plug, so I'll unplug the dryer and plug a heater in there, as that is another circuit that does NOT go thru the inverter.

I'll attach a schematic of my coach which I created, which visually shows this. You'd have something similar but obviously not identical. Using my graphic, you preferable want to find sockets that are connected to the 4 circuits on my 'green' colored leg, OR you want to find sockets that are connected to the main breaker box 3 'red' colored leg (not the top one which powers the inverter).

One other idea for you. My Magnum is configurable so that I can set the maximum current that the charge portion can use (of the total 30amps that is available). When I'm connected to 20 or 30 amp shorepower, I'll set the charger to the minimum current setting, which leaves the bulk of the remaining 30 amps available for the circuits attached to the passthru transfer switch portion. Hopefully your Xantrex has a similar capability.

You may have a breaker box like mine which is actually electrically two pieces and has what is called a 'sub-panel', or you may have a totally separate small circuit breaker box. Functionally they are similar.
Thanks. I think that probably answers it. What doesn't make sense to me is why th red line goes through the circuit breakers. Seems like it should go straight to a transfer switch and then breakers. This is a part of what wasn't making sense. It seemed to me that with 50amp plugged in, I should be tripping the breakers on the Xantrex. If I turn off the charging of the batteries, it appears to not trip, but either way, would love to think that with 50 plugged in there wouldn't be a trip of a breaker that is outside in the basement. Would rather flip a breaker in the back bathroom.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:00 PM   #10

It seems strange that every outlet runs thru the inverter.

I would turn off the inverter 120volt breaker and check for outlets with power and use one of them.

A 50 amp RV has 240 volt 50 amp, OR 100 amp, 120 volt power, avalable to use.

These are 2 hot legs split at the breaker center sending 50 amp, 120 volt power to aprox half the breakers and 50 amp 120 volt to the other half.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #11

That's what it would have thought. I agree work you on the logic, which is why I'm asking in this thread. Maybe I need to check all the wiring?
Old 10-05-2017, 06:33 PM   #12

As stated, on most 50 amp rigs, all the high watt appliances are routed directly to the main breaker box for power. This also includes a number of common outlets scattered thru-out the rig. Those lower watt circuits that are routed thru the inverter, are by necessity, limited in total amps as the inverter and batteries cannot put out a lot of 120v AC power over an extended period. In what is called by-pass mode, the inverter is simply passing AC from the main breakers to the same lower watt plug-ins and appliances, eg, lights, TV, stereo, fridge, etc. My 50 amp coach has a 30 amp breaker going to and from the inverter [some inverters, eg, those rated for 2000watts, may have a 20 amp internal or external reset breaker]. So-----if you inadvertently plug-in two 15-20 amp space heaters into the inverter circuits, you will exceed the 20 amp breaker in/on the inverter. Yup--plugging in electric space heaters are a very effective way to "learn" about your rig's electrical system. We'll all been there--most of us anyway.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Yes sorry, I did not explain that correct at all.
Sorry for any confusion I have caused.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:25 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
You're hilarious! Don't you think this is why I'm asking? Trying to learn on an older rig. Others out there have a Monaco with Xantrex. Hoping to get actual experience from them so I can learn how this works.
Apologies, I thought your primary concern was heating the coach for winter as would be mine. Glad I could bring a bit of humor though.

FYI, xantrex is a xantrex regardless of coach. I think old scout put best with his space heater comment.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, xantrex