Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 08:03 AM   #1

Xantrex Freedom 3000 xc on generator issues

I have a freedom 3000xc Pro and a Onan 10k diesel generator. I get power thru the inverter on shore power. On generator power I get power up to the inverter but not out of the inverter. The generator is putting out 119.6 at 60 HZ. Xantrex people say that if inverter works on shore power but not on generator power it is not there problem. Sounds logical but WHAT could be the problem with the generator.

I can run three A/C at one time with no problem. I did replace the breaker going to the inverter.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #2

Are both breakers on the genset actually turned on?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:21 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
How long has this been going on? The wiring from the ATS to the power panel is the same for shore or gen power. The only thing I can think of is there is a wiring issue from the gen set that the rig doesn't care about, but the inverter does. It's strange.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #4

Xantrex Freedom 3000 XC PRO

As posted above, wiring after the ATS is common to both shore power and generator power. The 3000 XC has a built in battery charger and its own transfer switch to switch between battery powered 120 volt output and pass through 120 volts. The XC will pass through 50 amps at 120 volts.

When shore power or generator power is not available the XC will switch and draw 12 volt DC power from the battery bank and output 120 volts.

https://xantrex.com/library/inverter...guide-english/

Q1: Does your RV have a 30 amp 120 volt shore power system, or a 50 amp 240 volt split phase power system?

Q2: Does your generator produce 120 volts or 240 volts split phase? Onan makes many versions of 10,000K generators. Some can be configured to output 120 volts single phase.

Q3: The XC should output 120 volts when shore power, generator power, or battery power is available. You said your system outputs 120 volts on shore power, but not on generator power. Does it output 120 volts when using the battery and neither shore nor generator power are available?

Q4: Does the XC display panel light up? What does it say? Is there an error code?

Assuming the shore power is 50 amp 240 volt split phase and the generator is 120 volt single phase, L1 and L2 of the shore power are hot. L2 of the generator power may not be. The XC has only one set of 120 volt input connectors. It may be connected to the L2 which has no 120 volt power. This would be uncommon.

“On generator power I get power up to the inverter but not out of the inverter.”

Q5: Did you measure the voltage on the input connectors of the Xantrex? If not, where exactly did you measure the input voltage?

Q6: Exactly where did you measure the output voltage?

Half of the RV outlets may be powered from the Xantrex. The other half of the outlets would have to be powered by the generator directly.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
As posted above, wiring after the ATS is common to both shore power and generator power. The 3000 XC has a built in battery charger and its own transfer switch to switch between battery powered 120 volt output and pass through 120 volts. The XC will pass through 50 amps at 120 volts.

When shore power or generator power is not available the XC will switch and draw 12 volt DC power from the battery bank and output 120 volts.

Q1: Does your RV have a 30 amp 120 volt shore power system, or a 50 amp 240 volt split phase power system?

Q2: Does your generator produce 120 volts or 240 volts split phase? Onan makes many versions of 10,000K generators. Some can be configured to output 120 volts single phase.

Q3: The XC should output 120 volts when shore power, generator power, or battery power is available. You said your system outputs 120 volts on shore power, but not on generator power. Does it output 120 volts when using the battery and neither shore nor generator power are available?

Q4: Does the XC display panel light up? What does it say? Is there an error code?

Assuming the shore power is 50 amp 240 volt split phase and the generator is 120 volt single phase, L1 and L2 of the shore power are hot. L2 of the generator power may not be. The XC has only one set of 120 volt input connectors. It may be connected to the L2 which has no 120 volt power. This would be uncommon.

“On generator power I get power up to the inverter but not out of the inverter.”

Q5: Did you measure the voltage on the input connectors of the Xantrex? If not, where exactly did you measure the input voltage?

Q6: Exactly where did you measure the output voltage?

Half of the RV outlets may be powered from the Xantrex. The other half of the outlets would have to be powered by the generator directly.
Q1 50 amp

Q 2 120 volts on the black to white and 120 volts on the red to white
Q 3 I will have to check
Q 4 I get 120 volts at the transfer switch on both L1 and L2
Q 5 Power from the breaker comes in and exits the inverter on the

left. there are clamp on connectors that have a small hole for meter test lead.

Thank you for the help
Old 08-17-2022, 06:55 AM   #6

Troubleshooting

See page 81 of manual.

So; on the 120 volt input connectors of the Xantrex, the voltage measures 120 volts at 60 cycles.
On the 120 volt output connectors the voltage measures 120 volts 60 cycles when shore power is connected.
On the 120 volt output connectors the voltage measures 0 volts when generator is connected.

Since the pass through on the inverter works exactly the same for both generator and shore power, the only difference would be the quality of the incoming power.

The inverter detects incoming 120 volt power. If it is low voltage, noisy, or off frequency the detector may not find it. If so it should try to switch to 12 volt battery power.

Of course it will not switch if 12 volts is not available.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:34 AM   #7

It will run on shore or battery power. When I start the generator it stays on battery power. The generator is running at 60HZ and 119.6 or 7 volts
Old 08-20-2022, 09:14 PM   #8

So the inverter transfer switch is not detecting the 120 volts on the input connectors when the generator is running.
Voltage could be to low or none existing
Frequency could be off to far
Voltage from generator could be carrying high frequency noise that registers on the voltmeter as high enough but does not trigger the transfer switch

I would double check the voltage on the inverter input connectors when the generator is running and shore power is disconnected.

Very unusual. Big mystery.
Old 08-21-2022, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
So the inverter transfer switch is not detecting the 120 volts on the input connectors when the generator is running.
Voltage could be to low or none existing
Frequency could be off to far
Voltage from generator could be carrying high frequency noise that registers on the voltmeter as high enough but does not trigger the transfer switch

I would double check the voltage on the inverter input connectors when the generator is running and shore power is disconnected.

Very unusual. Big mystery.

At the transfer switch I have 119.6 on input from generator, on output at transfer switch I have 119.6 volts at 60HZ. I can trace that to the inverter breaker then to input at the inverter at 119.6. All this while unplugged from shore power.
Old 08-21-2022, 07:03 AM   #10

Lots of good input here--so I am probably not much help. Assume all A/Cs are working while on genset--do they work on genset with inverter off/disconnected? Also assume the 3000 XC is a hybrid so it will use battery power to invert and boost genset or shore power if low voltage is detected? This boost function is unique to hybrid inverters. The average owner without the boost function wont experience this. So, there must be an issue with the boost function itself or the inverter settings? Only guessing, obviously.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:31 AM   #11

Yes the A/C's run but are not wired thru the inverter. The inverter is running and putting out power to the refrigerator, I start the gen but the inverter still stays in invert mode instead of switching to generator power. I am also not getting battery charging when the generator is running but I do get battery charging on shore power.

Xantrex was basically no help. Their response was if it works on shore then it is not their problem. I am going to the FMCA rally this week so maybe there will be a Onan expert there to help me.
Old 08-22-2022, 09:55 AM   #12

The installation instructions say the neutral must be bonded for the pass through to work. Could be the problem.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:01 AM   #13

Did you just install this thing?
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, generator, xantrex