Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #1

Xantrex Freedom 458 Basic remote

I recently purchased a HR ambassador with this install. It did not seem to work. I removed the remote panel and cleaned the contacts on both the unit and phone cord. I did the same thing at the inverter. This is when I noticed that the cord color did match what was inside. I traced the it to the battery terminal. The tsc and remote were plugged into the wrong ports. Change the plugs after cleaning the contacts and it still does not work (no lights on the remote panel). The inverter and charger do work if turned on at the unit. Any ideas as to the problem??
Medic8158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I doubt this will help, at this time, but a good reference.

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Acc...rs%20Guide.pdf

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Make a short jumper and plug the remote into it and the inverter thus eliminating the possible problem of bad wiring from the inverter to the remote.

If you end up needing a remote I have a brand new one I don't need for a 458.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

Thanks. Thought about that also, to rule out a wiring issue. What about having the ports reversed? Any thoughts on damage to the inverter board?
Old 04-23-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I doubt if you caused any problem. I have seen wiring problems between the inverter and remote though. A signal tracer is invaluable for that type of problem.

Something like this Standard (701K-G) Tone and Probe Kit-701K-G - The Home Depot
Old 04-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #6

hypoxia,

I got a short cable and tested the remote outside. Still no lights or anything working on the remote. You mentioned having a remote. How much do you want for it?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic8158 View Post
I got a short cable and tested the remote outside.
Make sure the short cable is wired correctly; with both connectors side by side the wire colors should be opposite. For instance yellow green red black on one plug and black red green yellow on the other. A phone cable won't be wired correctly.

Send me a PM if you do need it.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #8

Repurchased another cable with reverse wiring. Still not working. Sorry for the delay in response, this got push done on the list of things to do.

Tags
xantrex