RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #15

There are 3 leads on those semiconductors with only one lead going underneath that metal bar. The other 2 leads melt fine with no problems. The one that goes underneath is the one that won't melt at all. I purchased a higher wattage soldering gun off of Amazon. I'll let you all know how that goes.
Also, please forgive my ignorance as I have very little knowledge or experience in dealing with circuit boards, but what is a heat sink and what does it do?
Thanks everyone for your comments.

alexr237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 09:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr237 View Post
There are 3 leads on those semiconductors with only one lead going underneath that metal bar. The other 2 leads melt fine with no problems. The one that goes underneath is the one that won't melt at all. I purchased a higher wattage soldering gun off of Amazon. I'll let you all know how that goes.

Also, please forgive my ignorance as I have very little knowledge or experience in dealing with circuit boards, but what is a heat sink and what does it do?

Heat sink dissipates heat, no matter the source, soldering iron, components ect.

If you have a heat gun preheat the heatsinks with it. Might need to get creative with nozzles and deflect air away from the board components.. Keep heating with the gun while desoldering.

ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:45 PM   #17

Apparently there is a reason Xantrex says their units are not user serviceable.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:46 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If they put it together, it can be taken apart

RV solar is for RV solar. Moderation is for the budget conscious. Common sense dictates system design. Politics and social engineering are for another forum.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #19

I admire your tenacity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr237 View Post
As mentioned, you have to cut the package off first, then the one that is bent over just requires a bit more heat. I doubt it is under the 'T' bar, which I assume is there as a heat sink/high current connection, but just needs that extra heat. Now the problem will be to get the new package in w/o overheating it. The two solder joints will be fine, just you will need that extra heat to melt solder to the heatsink lead. With the new MOSFETs(?) leave the leads their original length, put a connector clip near the package end to dissipate the heat before it reaches the package (good chance that lead will be the one that is also part of the MOSFET heatsink too!) then quick, high heat to solder that lead in, make sure it is good the first time, otherwise a cold joint will happen and those are hard to re-do...
Once you get them all in, I would tie all of them to an insulated tyrap or stick to prevent vibration from breaking the package leads (if you left the leads at the original lengths)
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
If they put it together, it can be taken apart
It is putting it back together (and work) that is difficult...
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
Well yes, that would be the ultimate resolution, but itís already busted, so why not give it a try? At least you learn something. And maybe get lucky. Worth a try on my book.

RV solar is for RV solar. Moderation is for the budget conscious. Common sense dictates system design. Politics and social engineering are for another forum.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Well yes, that would be the ultimate resolution, but itís already busted, so why not give it a try? At least you learn something. And maybe get lucky. Worth a try on my book.
I've gotta agree with that logic, if it is broken what more can happen, only good.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:56 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a 5500w xantrex inverter fail (something inside burned up) and I just sold it off with some other equipment. Now I wish Iíd tried to fix it.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #25

Well, I finally got the new semiconductors installed. I couldn't remove that heat sink so I just soldered the connections on top rather than underneath. It's as gamble but I'm hoping it holds. I hooked up my inverter and everything seems to be working fine, thank God. That saves me a bunch of money. I appreciate everyone's input and I really hope that I didn't have to go through this again. Overall, it went well though, except for the 4 little screws I have left over. oops,��
Thanks everyone!
alexr237 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think this is great - hope the repair holds!Makes me think I might be able to tackle repairs like this. Thanks for the play by play on this.

Old Today, 06:11 AM   #27

Alexr237:

Great news. Thanks for sharing. I hope the unit continues to function for many years!

Paul

pbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, xantrex