Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Xantrex inverter won’t turn on

Hi,
My Xantrex inverter will not turn on.

I have a Freedom XC series inverter charger on an Entergra Odyssey RV.

Product part numbers: 817-1050 817-2080

When I’m connected to shore power, both green indicator lights are on and the bottom light is red, but I’ve not seen an error code. All of my rig power works, and the batteries seem to be charging just fine.

When I’m disconnected from shore power, the inverter will not turn on.

Things I’ve tried to troubleshoot:
1. Tried the reset button, but nothing happened - it was the 20A supplementary protector with reset button - didn’t seem like that was connected to anything but I tried to hold for several seconds to see if it would reset.

2. Visual look to see if there was anything obvious out of place - nothing obvious.

3. There is an Inverter fuse, but not sure I know how to determine if it’s blown or not (photo attached). Not sure how to determine if there is flow across the fuse or not.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D1F25395-9C14-4EF6-9FAF-6C1E57FA9621.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	351278  
Gobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 04:52 PM   #2

That fuse is on the DC side of your inverter. This part is where the charging current goes to the batteries.

Your control panel may have a on/off function for the inverter. That would be the first thing I would check.

I reset my inverter (which is older tech) by turning it off for 15 seconds at the main AC panel. Then turning it back on.
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
To check that fuse, put a meter on each side to ground, you should read battery voltage on both sides. When the shore power and generator are both off.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:54 PM   #4

If the unit is charging the batteries, the fuse is good.
Inverter/chargers use the same cables for both funtions.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:04 AM   #5

Xantrex Freedom XC Inverter Charger

https://www.xantrex.com/documents/In...Guide)_ENG.pdf

See page 57, 81, and page 71

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #6

Old 12-13-2021, 06:01 PM   #7

Welcome to iRV2 Gobeach

I'm having problems with mine too so I'm here to see if I can find anything helpful
Old 12-14-2021, 05:12 AM   #8

Yogi Berra once said that you can tell a lot just by looking. In the case of your inverter/charger, look at the control panel. There is an indicator light that shows if your inverter is receiving AC power (AC In), if your charger is on, if your inverter is on, and the levels of power in your system. The panel below represents what mine looks like when all is well. The manual for the Freedom Control Panel is listed below the photo and provides detailed explaniations about the setup and monitoring capabilities of the control panel.

The "trouble" I have had with my inverter has always been caused by battery condition. The inverter has a low voltage cutout that prevents the charger from operating if the house battery voltage is too low. This past summer, when I was arrived at a new campsite, I'd run my setup (jacks, slides)
before I got out of the coach. The process would suck enough juice out of my 7 years old batteries that the inverter would alarm and not charge after plugged into shore power. I could reset the inverter by using the inverter breaker in the main panel, and see current levels in the DC Amps column go over 100 amps (100 amps is the alarm level of my inverter/charger) as the charger tried to respond to the battery condition. The charger would shut off in a couple of minutes. I learned most of this the hard way. It took a couple of stops before I understood what was happening. Since all my DC power comes form the batteries, and the batteries where not charging, equipment would quit working. The first thing in my coach that would quit working when the battery levels got low was the steps. I circumvented this problem by using an auttomotive charger on the house batteries to get them back to normal levels. New batteries are in my future.

https://productimageserver.com/liter...de/10850QG.pdf
Old 12-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Status - not much info yet

I appreciate all of the input I've received. Some additional info:

1. The Inverter/Converter does not turn on when I'm not connected to shore power or have the generator on. So, the control panel is blank when I have no external power (shore or generator) connected.

2. I've ordered a volt meter so will confirm where I have readings and where I don't.

3. I looked at my breaker box and there is a GFCI breaker that is not responding when I push the test button on it. It's different than any GFCI breakers I've seen on houses. That may be the next area to investigate.

Thanks again - will post results once I have readings from the volt meter.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #10

Metering is a good plan.

"3. I looked at my breaker box and there is a GFCI breaker that is not responding when I push the test button on it. It's different than any GFCI breakers I've seen on houses. That may be the next area to investigate."

GFI will not test or reset unless there is 120 volts to the input. So it is behaving normally.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:23 PM   #11

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
Metering is a good plan.

"3. I looked at my breaker box and there is a GFCI breaker that is not responding when I push the test button on it. It's different than any GFCI breakers I've seen on houses. That may be the next area to investigate."

GFI will not test or reset unless there is 120 volts to the input. So it is behaving normally.
Thanks!
Old 12-16-2021, 06:25 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
Trouble changing fuse

OK - so I confirmed that it was the fuse that was blown by putting my meter on each side of the fuse.

I ran into trouble changing the fuse. I was concerned about the power from the batteries - so I disconnected the battery cable on the positive post - changed the fuse -- but ran into significant trouble trying to reconnect the battery cables.

When I tried to put the red cables back together (batteries running in series) there was a arc, tried it again and the saw a bit of a flare coming from the Inverter. ::I think I fried my inverter::

I had rig power system off, had breakers for Inverter and AC off, but hadn't disconnected any negative leads. I also didn't turn off any breakers at the breaker box, but I had turned off the rig power so not sure breaker box would come into play.

Any suggestions on the steps I should take putting this all back together without setting the rig on fire or being electrocuted?

I'll go try and get a photo... thanks in advance for the help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1865.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	351622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1866.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	351623  

Old 12-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
I might expect a small spark, especially if the caps in the inverter are discharged, the spark would just be them charging, but if you saw something inside the inverter flaring, that's not good. Sounds like a loose connection or a defective component, which could explain the blown fuse. Can you get a picture of the area inside the inverter that arced? I'd look very carefully inside the inverter, with the batteries disconnected, as you have them, for damage/loose stuff.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
I might expect a small spark, especially if the caps in the inverter are discharged, the spark would just be them charging, but if you saw something inside the inverter flaring, that's not good. Sounds like a loose connection or a defective component, which could explain the blown fuse. Can you get a picture of the area inside the inverter that arced? I'd look very carefully inside the inverter, with the batteries disconnected, as you have them, for damage/loose stuff.
Thanks Harry, I’ll have to take the cover off of the inverter tomorrow. I think I’m close to calling in some professional help. I worked as an electrician’s apprentice on and off during lay-offs from Lockheed during my early youth so I’m comfortable with house wiring, even adding breakers, etc. However, I’m not at all familiar with how everything is connected between the solar, the inverter, the house batteries, the coach battery, the breaker boxes, the ATS, etc. etc etc.

If I were to connect everything back if I don’t see any damage in the inverter, would you recommend disconnecting the negative battery? Or should connecting the positive posts have worked the way I tried?

I agree, maybe this was the cause of the blown fuse…

Appreciate you taking the time to help.

Tags
inverter, xantrex