Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

Yet another Norcold question

Hi all. I'm new to the forum. As my user name indicates, I have a floating RV...a boat. Lots of commonality between the 2 modes of transportation/recreation. A lot of the same headaches too. We also share a lot of the same appliances. I've been searching this forum to troubleshoot my refrigerator for a couple of weeks and I am very impressed with the knowledge here. Kudos to all. So, I'm hoping to pick your brains on this.

I have a brand new (last year) Norcold DE0061 that has issues. A friend bought it brand new last year. It never worked correctly. The fan would not run at all. Norcold sent him a new fan. No help. He couldn't find any local service people willing to help...despite being on the Norcold list for service. Anyways, he pulled out the fridge to the middle of his kitchen area and ran an external (AC) fan on it all summer. It worked fine. He finally connected with a senior person at Norcold and that person sent him a brand new unit....with no expectation that the "old" unit be returned. So, as long as the new one works, he's giving the "old" one to me. My question...I'm thinking that it may be the main control unit but I don't want to be throwing money and parts at this thing. So, I was thinking of just hardwiring the integrated fan (on the cooling coils) to run continuously...or alternatively, whenever the unit is turned on. Will this harm anything or hurt the performance?

I'm open to any other suggestions...other than getting support from Norcold.

Thanks in advance!
Floating RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #2

So, I was thinking of just hardwiring the integrated fan (on the cooling coils) to run continuously...or alternatively, whenever the unit is turned on.

Hardwire it to run WHEN the unit is ON.......IE: compressor not fridge turned on

Basically what the interface controller does

Service Manual
https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa..._and_above.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
[I]
Hardwire it to run WHEN the unit is ON.......IE: compressor not fridge turned on

Basically what the interface controller does
[/url]
I'm not sure that the controller turns the fan on as soon as the compressor kicks on. I was under the impression that a temp sensor turns the fan on....but I'm not clear on that. Could be the older models had the sensor?
Old 05-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #4

Check the wiring diagram in LINK
Old 05-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #5

Thank you, Old Biscuit! The troubleshooting guide was just what I needed. Turned out the ground was bad for the fan. I rewired it and it works fine now. Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2022, 08:28 PM   #6

Thanks for update!

Replacement fan, Norcold Tech 'duh', Replacement fridge all due to a bad ground wire

But hey...you got a deal!
Old 05-23-2022, 06:19 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

How to fix stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating RV View Post
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. As my user name indicates, I have a floating RV...a boat. Lots of commonality between the 2 modes of transportation/recreation. A lot of the same headaches too. We also share a lot of the same appliances. I've been searching this forum to troubleshoot my refrigerator for a couple of weeks and I am very impressed with the knowledge here. Kudos to all. So, I'm hoping to pick your brains on this.

I have a brand new (last year) Norcold DE0061 that has issues. A friend bought it brand new last year. It never worked correctly. The fan would not run at all. Norcold sent him a new fan. No help. He couldn't find any local service people willing to help...despite being on the Norcold list for service. Anyways, he pulled out the fridge to the middle of his kitchen area and ran an external (AC) fan on it all summer. It worked fine. He finally connected with a senior person at Norcold and that person sent him a brand new unit....with no expectation that the "old" unit be returned. So, as long as the new one works, he's giving the "old" one to me. My question...I'm thinking that it may be the main control unit but I don't want to be throwing money and parts at this thing. So, I was thinking of just hardwiring the integrated fan (on the cooling coils) to run continuously...or alternatively, whenever the unit is turned on. Will this harm anything or hurt the performance?

I'm open to any other suggestions...other than getting support from Norcold.

Thanks in advance!
Hi have to laugh, I hear this story day in and day out
Old 05-24-2022, 06:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Thanks for update!

Replacement fan, Norcold Tech 'duh', Replacement fridge all due to a bad ground wire

But hey...you got a deal!
Yep. Big believer in the KISS method of troubleshooting. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
Old 05-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating RV View Post
Yep. Big believer in the KISS method of troubleshooting. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)
EXACTLY^^^^^

Unfortunately 'service' folks use the R&R&RA Method

(Remove/replace/replace again-----throw enough parts at it might fix it)

Tags
norcold