Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Amateur Extra AE4GW. I have Yaesu handhelds in all vehicles, boat and motorhome. Also have a portable unit for stronger signal I can carry.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 04:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmDutchstar View Post
You all have given great advice and lots of ideas. I think I will start with a good handheld then work my way up as my interest grows. Ham radio has had my interest for years. I guess it's time to jump in. Iv been looking at the yeasu radios.
. I have a Yeasu ft-3D it is a great handheld. It is 2 meters and 440 Be advised you need the program software and the cable also. An ordinary USB cable does not work. Roger
rmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
We had a deaf ham in our club. He used all of the digital modes with a computer.
Really!? So how would he comm with hearing hams? Tell me more or PM me. I'm interested!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Really!? So how would he comm with hearing hams? Tell me more or PM me. I'm interested!
Wikipedia can help!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ur_radio_modes

I have lost track of these modes because I have not been terribly active for a few years. However, packet radio is very, very easy (based on a modified X.25 protocol called AX.25). I don't know its current level of popularity but it's one way, at least. There are also Morse Code generators and readers, both computer-based, though outside the contesting world I don't know how much Morse traffic there is these days.

Then, there's RTTY ("R" for Radio), very similar in most respects to the old-time telephone-based TTYs you might be familiar with.

Some of these modes might have gateways to e-mail or text, too.

Which modes are most popular probably depends on where you live. (Adding that information to your profile or signature lines can't hurt.)

(As an aside, I'm a hearing if rusty ASL signer. I visited a Wal*Mart a couple of days ago near a campsite. Looking for a solution to our shower skylight providing unwanted morning light, and finding the automotive ones in stock too narrow I thought I'd see what they had for windows. So I asked a clerk where they were. She was deaf, and clearly--and reasonably--expected that would be the end of the enquiry, but I said, "hi," and asked her where the window shades were. I don't know why, but whenever I've run into deaf sales clerks they seem to know where things are in large stores better than their hearing counterparts. She led me right to them without hesitation. Her name was Nicole.)
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #19

AnotherMIKE , are you old enough to remember ARC5's converted to Ham use ?

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Did you look for information on PSK31?
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #21
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
I am. I was licensed in 1971 or 1972 in high school. Jefftronics in Cleveland, OH had racks and racks or WWII equipment. I really miss that store even now. You never knew what you would find when you went there.

Ray
Old 07-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #22

Exclamation

Hi friends, I am also a radioamateur and I intend to install an Icom IC-7100 on my Winnebago Ultimate Advantage.

I put below an image with the technical characteristics so that you can get an idea of the excellent frequency coverage.

There is one problem, however, that puts me in difficulty and it is the assembly of the antenna.

As you can see the Icom IC-7100 allows you to transmit and receive on different bands and is very versatile, however, for reasons of height, obviously you cannot put a fixed vertical antenna on the roof of the RV.

It would take an electric automatic antenna that, with the appropriate controls, can rise vertically and change its length.

A few years ago I had seen one on a US website that worked like this and cost around $ 500. I looked for it again but I couldn't find the website anymore.

Have any of you already done such an installation?

Do you know a similar products?

Could you give me some advice?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3071spec.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	294222  
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post

CLIFFORD
Yup! They were WONDERFUL receivers to learn on, and simple transmitters... they were well designed and well documented...
Mine all came from C&H Electronics in Pasadena, CA. They still exist, but only on the web (C&H Surplus). They closed their retail store a few years ago. My dad actually met Fred Drake, the designer of the ARC-5 family at a ham convention in the 1950s...

I had a 190-550 KC receiver that I used as a low IF (at 455 Kc), and both a 3-6 MC and a 6-9.1 MC receiver, and both a 3-4 MC and a 7-9.1 transmitter.

I gave away the last ARC-5, the low IF receiver when I made the last move... I had to downsize the workshop space from a 4-car-garage-sized-space to a 1-car-garage-size. My HF comms these days is limited to a TS-440 (presently in storage) and I'm mostly on VHF and UHF local stuff.

BTW if you love ARC-5s look here: https://aafradio.org/flightdeck/arc5-1.htm

Mike
Old 07-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #24

Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread with the ARC-5 ,,, But I'm sure the OP
NMDUTCHSTAR got all the information he needed to launch his new venture, yes Hamming is a fantastic experience.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #25

I have a Kenwood TM-D710GA in my MH.
50 watts, dual band with APRS.
Outside antenna.

APRS can beacon your location/speed/direction so family members can follow you on your trip.
You can also text to other APRS capable radios.
You can send and receive e-mails if in range of a digipeater.

I monitor simplex frequency 146.52 mHz while on the road.
I find it is mostly quiet.
Don't expect the number of users that CB radio used to have.
Was stuck in traffic jams on the way to and from eclipse camping spot.
Put out a call for information both days and made a contact both times.
Talked to a ham on the top of Mt Washington talking on a Baofeng HT.
Programmed local repeaters while in Maine and joined many nets one of which was in Nova Scotia.

I also dabble in D-Star, a digital mode.
You can connect to local repeaters or you can set up your own mini repeater (hot spot) and talk to hams all over the world.
You can also use D-Star to send text and pictures to other D-Star radios.

This is just scraping the surface of what you can do with ham radio.

The technician level license is very easy and there are online practice exams to help you prepare for the exam at https://www.qrz.com/hamtest/
Old 08-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great info so far.

Just want to add that ham radio is not like cellular service, where you just turn one on and start talking to someone no matter where you are. Depending on where you are and what band you're operating on, there are conditions and complexities that may give you great success, or dead air. Experience and practice will improve your odds of contacting someone but if the expectation this will be a form of distress communication, it's not. It's recreational operating with a bit of utility, backup and emergency potential.

That being said, I have radios in every vehicle I own, I carry several when I hike and have a setup I take when traveling by air to operate at remote locations. Ham radio offers endless technical, social and recreational opportunities and in my case, has opened doors in the course of my professional career. It's a great fraternity and you meet other hams in every walk of life, most every place you go. So it goes beyond just having a squawk box in the car, it can be a lifelong endeavor that you continually learn, experiment, make friends and enjoy.

At a practical level in my RV, a basic V/U dual bander covers any operating I care to do in motion. I'm a big fan of HF mobile but I find operating the RV takes more attention than a car, and the distraction of the HF rig is too risky. When traveling, hearing conversations on repeaters as you go can be interesting, and if you care to participate you can. Sometimes I've gotten on and asked about interesting places to go or a good restaurant, and that adds to the trip. When parked, especially at campgrounds or remote areas without cell coverage my wife (also a ham) and I can stay in touch if I go hiking or if we do something separately.

Ham radio can be as much or as little as you care to do, so dipping your toe in the water by getting an inexpensive radio and a tech license can be a good start. As Craig36 mentioned don't let just that experience be the final word on what ham radio is all about. There is a whole world out there of communicating, from local to worldwide, simple to complicated. Every journey starts with the first step, so pick something to start with, anything. There's no wrong way to get into the hobby and no prescribed path, just have fun and take it as far as you like.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:29 AM   #27

Hi all

KT1F here. I've been a ham for about 50 years since I was at high school.

We just got an RV for the first time. Lots to learn of course so ham radio is kind of low on the priority list right now. My first big tech issue is installing a good cellular data system for work purposes but I'm definitely leaving room for a 2 meter mobile antenna.

Once I have a 2 meter radio installed, I think I'll make my Wi-Fi SSID "KT1F listening on 146.52". Someone might notice it in a campground.

When I get on the air at home, I mostly operate CW or digital modes. I'm looking forward to doing some QRP CW from the RV in remote places with a wire up a tree.

Ross
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #28

I am using a model of Runningsnail
I'm quite pleased with this little unit. It may not be perfect, but it's only twenty bucks.
The flashlight is not real bright, but good enough for most general tasks in the dark. There are no brightness or flash modes, just simply on or off.

The radio works well enough - the volume goes up very rapidly with the volume control - at 10% of the way, it's already quite loud. I haven't tried it all the way up. The tuning is quite sensitive (tuning changes quickly with slow turning of the dial), but not too sensitive to be able to tune to stations when you're careful. Sound quality is thin and bright, but who cares - this isn't for music listening. There is no headphone jack. The antenna works fine for FM and Wideband, it's kind of short, but helps with reception.

The charging crank turns fine, but it takes work to do so. One minute of cranking makes my hands tired and a bit sore. Five minutes of cranking is alot of work! Part of the problem is that it is hard to find a good place to hold the unit while cranking without having to grip it harder than you should have to. Also, the knob that you hold on the crank is somewhat small. But for a minute at a time it's all fine.
zeldaella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio