Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Really!? So how would he comm with hearing hams? Tell me more or PM me. I'm interested!
I have an Icom 51A that you can connect by a cable to an old smart phone.
You can send text and pictures to another Icom radio with the same setup (the smart phone is ONLY used as a picture viewing and texting device and does not need to be connected to cell phone towers).
If connected to D-Star digital that is connected to the internet you could send text and pictures all over the world.

For this to work the ham on the other end would need to know that you are sending text or pictures so they can setup their end to receive.

Not 100% sure but Icom has a new radio that can do the above without needing a smart phone.
It is about to be released Icom 52A.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Wish I could be a "ham." But unfortunately, I am deaf. Thomas Alva Edison, believe it or not, was deaf. However, he became an expert telegrapher and later "wireless" operator. He was able to do so because all radio back then was done in Morse. Today, Morse code is dead!
Not agreeing with your statement that CW (morse code) is "dead". Youtube is full of videos proving otherwise. Even got me to blow the dust off the straight key. Would be able to hear the tones thru a set of headphones?
Larry N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #31

Our radio club had a deaf operator that used PSK31 and other digital modes to communicate. He used to participate in Field Day and made a lot of digital contacts. The bonus was he could be close to the generator (his choice) and the noise wasn't a problem.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Wish I could be a "ham." But unfortunately, I am deaf. Thomas Alva Edison, believe it or not, was deaf. However, he became an expert telegrapher and later "wireless" operator. He was able to do so because all radio back then was done in Morse. Today, Morse code is dead!
With all due respect, deafness is NOT a barrier to joining the ham radio community.

As an example there is an annual contest based on a emergency deployment scenario - it's called "field day"... it's always the fourth full weekend in June. Several years ago I helped a local club set up two stations in a city park. We (with permission) deployed two large antennas. I was surprised that the best morse code operator that year was totally deaf, and had been since birth. He had an earphone-based transducer plugged into the earphone jack of the radio, it was attached to a watch band and the device buzzed against his skin. I watched him copy morse code a lot faster than I ever could - and he did it efforlessly!

So don't use the "I'm deaf" as a reason for not getting a license.

There is a group called Courage Handi-Ham ...

From Courage Handiham:

> The Handiham Program is non-profit organization that helps
> persons with any combination of physical and sensory disabilities
> by providing tools, technology and education to become effective
> amateur operators.
>
> Handiham Program
> 3915 Golden Valley Road, Mail Route 78446
> Golden Valley, MN 55422
> E-Mail: Lucinda.Moody@allina.com
> Phone: 612-775-2290
> Toll-Free telephone: 1-866-HANDIHAM (1-866-426-3442)

Hope this helps...

Mike
Old 04-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #33

Well said Mike. Ham radio is a great companion and beside's my base, I have radio's in my tow vehicle/daily driver that can be taken out quickly if not in safe parking areas. But they are great companions. It's a lot of fun to drive down the road and have a conversation with a ham in Norway and talk about whatever. I've done that many times and it's a blast and helps eat up miles. Ham radio is a great way to make new and lifelong good friends.
W1AST is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio