Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #43

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Your perspective on this is different from mine Wayne. I always attributed the rush to the CB store to Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason and their insane "Smoky" movies. Prior to that almost nobody outside our CB club knew what the heck a CB was.

XM4617668 (CC here and on the side)
Funny you would mention that movie. DW and I are watching as I type this and the movie Convoy is next! I've got a old cobra CB but it doesn't work anymore. I'm looking for one but funds are tight right now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Your perspective on this is different from mine Wayne. I always attributed the rush to the CB store to Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason and their insane "Smoky" movies. Prior to that almost nobody outside our CB club knew what the heck a CB was.

XM4617668 (CC here, loud proud and on the side)
That, and shows like 'BJ and the Bear', and 'Movin on'. And songs like 'Convoy'.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragingbull View Post
Funny you would mention that movie. DW and I are watching as I type this and the movie Convoy is next! I've got a old cobra CB but it doesn't work anymore. I'm looking for one but funds are tight right now.

You can pick up a little Cobra 19DX for about $35. Works great. I have one in my dually that has been in there for goin on 10 years, never missed a beat.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep I looked at that one Ramblin. But I'm wanting a few more bells and whistles
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #47

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I have a Ranger RCI-63FFC4 ( RCI-63FFC4 ) in my pickup and love it. I will be at my campground in lower Delaware and talk to my home locals at night in upper DE. PS. nothing but the radio no help.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #48

Folks, I had a CB radio in my truck a long time ago but haven't used one in roughly 20 years. Do you find them of value in your RV? With cell phone coverage so good these days, I didn't think I would use the CB.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #49

I 've not used mine. Last time i used one was in 1976. What channels are you monitoring ?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #50

When we co out on the Harley with other riders we communicate with the cb radio . we normally use 30 or 31 channel
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #51

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short haul, (IE: The 20 miles from here to church via country roads which take me home to the place...er, that is a song) (Ok, 17 miles) I do not usually turn on the CB, Long haul (IE: 60 miles between summer campground, via Freeway) I run both Chan 19 (Truckers) and 13 (Good sams) neither radio system is "the best" (The 19 antenna is INSIDE the coach, behind the couch in fact, good SWR though (1:1 on the Cobra's built in meter) the Chan 13 antenna is a short (Less than 2') Magnetic mount stuck to an ammo case in the basement, I would HATE to think of the SWR, I don't use it for transmit) Not a lot of traffic but I've had some good chats on rare occasions.

Mostly I monitor 2mtr and 70cm Ham.. Eventually I will finish setting it up so I can do 6 mtr as well.. but not yet. All FM. Had some good chats there too.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #52

Forest River Owners Club
I've used CB since the 60's, though I went most of the 80's and early 90's without. I have one in the MH and keep it on to hear traffic info ...it also has weather band. Have one in the toad but rarely turn it on unless doing a long highway trip ...K40 antenna makes it easy to put antenna on the roof when I want to use it, but keep it off most of the time to get toad in parking gatages and the garage at house.

Also have dual band HAM units in the MH and toad. I hear some traffic chatter in a few areas around the country ...NM has a few linked repeaters on mountain tops that enable you to talk across a big chunk of the state. HAM 2 meter is great in bad weather ...I listen to the local storm chasers and know what is happening before it comes over weather radio. Since we bought a house and DW thinks the toad should be garaged, I laid the magnetic HAM antenna down on the toad roof with end of the antenna shaft tucked into a plastic notch in the roof rack. ..it works surprisingly well laid down as long as we are in the local area of a repeater (up to 15 mi or so).
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootie-Owl View Post
Folks, I had a CB radio in my truck a long time ago but haven't used one in roughly 20 years. Do you find them of value in your RV? With cell phone coverage so good these days, I didn't think I would use the CB.

Any thoughts appreciated.
I turn mine on when there are traffic problems to find out what lane has the best view of the wreck I should be in to safely get past the wreck.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto here.......Jim
Old 03-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
There is no reason you can't have both amateur radio and CB. We prefer ham radio, but started out in the mid-60's with CB.

JoAnn - ka7suz, Art wb7auk
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I got Tinker back home yesterday and the first thing I did was hook up the CB in a new position because where it sat will be the new home for something else. I turned in on to check the SWR and hear a local information call.

I get an attaboy for helping a fellow RVer find the Lady Rose Marine Services dock and also for directing him to close by free parking. I hope they have a fun St Patrick's day going out to Bamfield on the day cruise.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio