Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:06 PM   #15

When the double nickle came in to effect I found CBs useful, even exciting. Around the late 70s it lost its charm.

By the mid 80s it was the same, same for my Valentine One radar detectors.

About 5 years ago I decided to give CB another try; I quickly gave it up.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I found this...Looks like 13 is the one we should use, besides 19. Never heard of using separate channels for north south vs East west traffic.
Attachment 310401
Rob thanks for the post and the chart, the next time we hit the road I will try that channel to see if I get any response. I know a lot will depend on them having a CB.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got into CB back in the mid 60's. Back then it was interesting and people respected one another. Over time we moved to SSB to get away from the potty mouths. For many years we got out of it but when we got into RV'ing we did put one in the bus. At that point we became a family of RV'ers. Son & family and daughter and family all have a CB and when we travel together, which is mostly all the time, we are close and chat with one another. It's fun for us and it breaks up the monotony of the drive. We also get to talk with the grand kids. Not sure we have ever chatted with another RV'er but I would if I knew they were out there.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #18

Ask an old retired trucker and he will tell you channel 13 was the unofficial rv channel. Not used much anymore. Since I retired and bought a camper I have only run into a couple that even have a cb. Although there was an attempt to resurrect it on this forum. I think that it failed due to many knocking cb thinking ham or gmrs. Many diverse opinions. No agreements beating down the idea. Do I have a cb. Yes several. One at home, one in camper and one in tv. I also have a couple hand held.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:44 AM   #19

Just look for the vinyl. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0032.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	310676
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:02 PM   #20

Ham license for 35 years, GMRS license for about 8 years. I have a CB in the Class C motorhome, just AM no SSB. Antenna is a 2 ft Super Flex mounted in the driver's side front hood channel with a fender bolt mount, and tuned with an antenna analyzer. Resonates on 27.275 MHz or so, but it doesn't cover the whole band with better than 2:1 SWR. The 2 ft short length is needed to fit underneath the cab overhang.

The setup is good enough for road conditions on Ch. 19 or vehicle-to-vehicle chat when in a caravan. I've done some range testing with the pickup truck which has a 9 ft whip on the rear, and the range of the 2 ft antenna CB setup in the Class C motorhome is somewhere between 1.5 to 2.5 miles in gently rolling terrain. I'll put the radio in 40 channel scan mode in a campground from time to time, but there's very little CB chatter in the campgrounds anymore. GMRS/FRS is of more utility when camping.

Channel 13 is the RVers channel. Been that way since the CB magazine "S9" was publishing suggested channel usage charts in the 1970s. See page 66 of the October 1979 issue of S9 for example:
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archiv...S9-1979-10.pdf
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee