RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
CB and Ham Operators Virtual Coffee Shop

Hi all,

I'm Ed, BlueSpark, KANB7743 (ok, 2 of the 3 names are from the 80s). I live in North Texas.

I recently bought and installed a CB in my new Class A. After posting about my new radio and antenna setup on the "what new thing did you do to your RV", it got a lot of replies from fellow radio operators....

I thought I'd create a thread here to continue the conversation, hear others stories, and share results on the resurgence of CB.

So, "who's got their ears on"?Click image for larger version

Name:	20201124_224919.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	309574
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
I also installed the CB that I was given by the previous owners of our rig.

Not much talk around my hometown, but it was very entertaining when we crossed into Nevada on 93. A few miles before we came to Wells, the CB started receiving all kinds of "interesting" messages. "Free parking for big rigs, well stocked bar, free showers, etc, etc," for all customers to the various "Entertainment Establishments"
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have not had a CB in a truck or RV since about 2007. Prior to that I had taken the test for amateur (ham) radio and now operate mostly HF bands. Ocassionally, I will get on the VHF/UHF bands.

Ken
KE5DFR
Old 11-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #4

Way back when, we had a base station with the tri-beam antenna and CBs in all three of our vehicles.
Over time the language got so bad it would probably make the devil blush.
A handheld CB mike system came with our coach and, in the ten years of ownership, I have never turned it on.
NITEHAWK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #5

Our used MH came with a CB installed by the first owner. Its one with speaker and all controls in the hand held mic. Ive turned it on channel 19 and adjusted the squelch a couple times but not heard much conversation. I, like many of us, had a CB back in the 80s and it was great fun. I wish more RVers used their CBs as I think it would be interesting to converse with folks you see on the highways, other than a horn toot and wave.
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:35 AM   #6

Well up in my neck of the woods good cell service is non existent.
This setup has been on our front porch for almost two decades lol.
We used to call it the redneck telephone network, however most neighbors have given up on theirs.
Yes, we have a regular network of CB'ers on the Olympic Peninsula, complete with Saturday night SSB check ins from Bellingham to Vancouver WA, and all points in between. Mountain Thunder Radio is alive and well.
73's, Mike
"Kokanee" KACD6077
Mountain Thunder 1327
https://www.dxzone.com/dx22031/the-m...dio-group.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	309590  
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #7

I installed a CB in my Renegade which is on the Freightliner M2 chassis and it was a real project as you can see....https://www.irv2.com/forums/f55/cb-radio-419406.html
2004 Blue Bird M380 (sold)
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #8

Had a CB years ago. Used mostly with a handheld while hunting.
Decided that FRS radios were more convenient for caravanning in close range.
Decided to look into better radios and discovered ham radio.
Installed 70cm/2m radio with APRS.
Probably more CB users out there but I only have room for one radio.
APRS is fun, family and friends can see where I'm at in real time.
Have made many contacts on the road on 146.52mHz, several for traffic conditions.
Ham radio on the road with 70cm/2m is not very busy.
I did talk to someone just last week while camping.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:50 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used a CB since the 80, s started out using them on motorcycles, when we got or first RV, I installed one in the RV. It has helped several times on avoiding accident backups. I normally tune in to channels 17 or 19 to listing for any problems down the road. I belong to Gold Wing Road Riders Association and most use channel 1. I have not seen any information like that for RVers, sure would be nice if there was one so you could talk to them when going down the road.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:20 PM   #10

I put a 62-inch Wilson 1000 magnet-mount antenna on the roof of my old F250 when towing my trailer. It allows me to talk a number of miles with a small CB.

Having a CB along is well worth the trouble when the SHTF and traffic begins to build up due to a wreck or some such event ahead of you on the Interstates. Usually there's a trucker on Channel 19 to let you know what the problem is, which lane you should be in for getting through the bottleneck caused by a wreck and/or which alternative route you can take to avoid the problem altogether.

It doesn't always work that way, but it has saved me a lot of time and trouble through the years.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:24 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
If you are on a major trucking route, there often is a trucker or 2 talking about problems along the way. You just have to figure out if you are heading towards it, or away!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
I normally tune in to channels 17 or 19 to listing for any problems down the road. I belong to Gold Wing Road Riders Association and most use channel 1. I have not seen any information like that for RVers, sure would be nice if there was one so you could talk to them when going down the road.

I agree, it would be nice if there was a dedicated channel RVers used. Somebody pick a number and well spread the word on the forums and Facebook RV pages.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
I agree, it would be nice if there was a dedicated channel RVers used. Somebody pick a number and well spread the word on the forums and Facebook RV pages.

I found this...Looks like 13 is the one we should use, besides 19. Never heard of using separate channels for north south vs East west traffic.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1635.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	310401
Old 12-05-2020, 11:31 PM   #14

Got behind a big rig in the middle of the night in Wyoming 40 yrs ago and it stunk so bad I had to ring him up on the CB and ask him why He said he was hauling a load of hogs

I passed him! Was wondering about the fine mist hitting the windshield when behind him
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee