Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #15

Since my run is usually alone now, instead of 3-6 others from my company, I run on 19...(company channel is different) It's usually very quiet now days on 19, ... Sure, just like any store you go into,, you hear things from time to time you don't like, or agree with.. That's what the little knobs on the left are for... BUT,, it can be a safety thing also... Like Gators or other problems on the road.. I will be putting one of my extra cb's in our rv,, as soon as I find a good way to mount the antenna without drilling a hole in the fiberglass... It would be nice to have an "RV " channel so like minded people could chat a bit while traveling...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #16

A CB is the only sure way of communicating no matter where you are. If there is an emergency and you are alone and out of cell phone range sooner or later, probably sooner, a CB will get you in touch with someone who can call the proper folks.

I think they are essential. I don't have mine plugged in or set up, but it's there if I need it. Wouldn't travel without it, although I do go to some remote places.

The folks who's GPSs lead astray would be alive if they had a CB.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I cant imagine it saving my life. If out of a cell phone area a CB to me might catch the attention of a passing trucker but so would a big " call 911 sign". A sign would pretty much have the same range as a CB.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I am guessing that if you are traveling with a couple other coaches a CB would be a good way to communicate with the other coaches. The CB, as previously mentioned, does have an advantage of learning about traffic problems before you have to experience them as well as a pretty good range. I dunno about the little hand held 6 mile (or so ) range units. The time I used one I was not impressed with the sound quality.

Jus my tu sents.....................
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I heard somewhere Ch 13 is the RVer's channel. I have only heard it used once in a campground for camp information. Most monitor Ch 19 for traffic conditions. Ch 9 is for emergency use. Keep the Squelch set high and you only hear when the person transmitting close. Turn the Squelch down to hear everything out there on a particular channel. When traveling with friends we set up two channels before we head out, and when we start getting harassed on one channel, we just say 'go to the other one'. This way we can keep the racket fairly kid friendly and the 'grouchy' people can't follow you to the other channel.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The CB is s good tool for helping with picking a travel lane in case of a back-up. Other than that, it's off.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I have a good CB that I would probably throw in the RV if I could easily mount an antenna but as another poster mentioned, don't want to drill holes.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #22

I guess I should have added that some of us in smaller RVs go places where no one will come along for days at a time.

And sometimes a tree can fall across a remote park road, the roadway can wash out, the RV break down, you can get buried in mud, or a foot of snow can fall overnight. A CB is essential in those conditions, and with the "skip" has an almost unlimited range.

I have a magnetic mount antenna and just slap it on my hood.

If, however, one stays on paved roads designated I-something, a sign is as good as anything, I'll agree. Many people would not need a CB, ever. There is a good deal of security in staying in sight of other people.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #23

CB Channel for RV-ers

Somewhere in the depths of my two remaining operative brain cells, I seem to recall that RV-ers monitored channel 13.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
If, however, one stays on paved roads designated I-something, a sign is as good as anything, I'll agree

Truckers usually operate their CBs with the squelch or RG gain turned down so as only to receive local strong signals. None of that skip would reach anyone. I suppose if you were trapped under mud with two broken legs, you might have some eventual hope that someone will hear you but I doubt it. Better then nothing I guess. They are good for getting radar reports, this way if I'm doing 61 in a 60 I have time to slow down
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Put your CB on channel 19 and turn the squelch up high enough so you only hear nearby transmitters. This way you'll only hear the stuff happening right around you which can sometimes be important.

I mostly use my CB for finding the best detour around traffic jams. The truckers usually know the best route.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Official" Good Sam's channel for RVers is 13.. If you ever hear anything on it don't pass out from shock please, you will loose control of your RV if you do.

I monitor 19 on the freeway (Monitor 13 too but like I said, don't pass out) Which on occasion has made a great improvement in my life For Example.. As I came south through KY, I heard of an accident up ahead, The road was completly closed but I got warned in time to take an exit an overnight in a wal-mart The next morn I continued on to my destination, no problems, got there with time to spare. (I'd planned on overnighting at a wal mart, just not that one).

No stress, No bother, Did get to see the police close the road... Just as I got off.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #27

"Truckers usually operate their CBs with the squelch or RG gain turned down so as only to receive local strong signals. None of that skip would reach anyone."

Hi. I agree if one were counting on truckers there might be a problem. And there are many, many other people on all channels. Open the squelch and try. I think that if anyone, anywhere in this country hollared for help on Channel 9 within 10 minutes they'd have it. On the other channels it might take longer, as your signal will be stepped on by people running power.

A lot of sets have channel 9 as default. In remote areas police and sheriffs cars and stations have CBs, tuned to 9, and so do farmers, ranchers and loggers listening for neighbors who may be in trouble.

There is a whole wide world out there which isn't dependent upon cell phones and 6 lane roads. They have had to develop other ways of taking care of each other.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I would agree that a CB could be used to call for help if it were still 1975. Go drive off the beaten path and see what kind of response you get on any channel. Truckers are the main users of CBs by the way. You've heard posts here, Rvers usually keep the radios off until they need them. Carry a cell phone and walk until you find a cell tower. ( if you are out in the boonies) can you hear me now

Tags
radio