Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
CB Radio?

Bought a 2002 HR Endeavor recently. Our first. It has a CB radio which at first seemed like a good gadget to have, but why I don't know. Actually, I was a little surprised it came equiped with a CB. I did use it our second trip out to snoop on the truckers when traffic came to a complete stop due to an accident. I didn't talk, just listened. Other than that, do we RV'ers have a channel of our own? Just wondering if any of you use yours?

Oh by the way, I have really enjoyed the drinking threads. Someone start a new one!
Parkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just reviewed my Whiskey Please thread and didn't see your preferences posted. After today - may post on reds - as there are some interesting bottles out there like this one today -

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-348677284.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	560.6 KB
ID:	29458

I had not heard of it but came with good recommendation. It was a little lite on body but sure greased the skids and played well with others.

I'm gonna watch for your posts form now on - jumping from CB radios to drinking in a single bound is a remarkable achievement that may require supervising.

Well played my friend.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
CB Radio?

Sorry, but I was drinking when I posted this.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkers
Sorry, but I was drinking when I posted this.
X2. Happy Thanksgiving! Actually still have my 28 Cannel Kraco SSB with added channel 50 radio and Turner +2 db mic - let the Siltronix Model 90 VFO and Skipper 200 watt heater go - all were in full swing in the late 70's when skip was a "hobby".

We'll see where this goes - we're QRT. Lol.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Next question. (OK I'm new to this). Forget the CB. Is drinking and threading allowed?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkers
Next question. (OK I'm new to this). Forget the CB. Is drinking and threading allowed?
To read some posts you'd think it was required. Next question?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Phil - sent you a PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkers View Post
Bought a 2002 HR Endeavor recently. Our first. It has a CB radio which at first seemed like a good gadget to have, but why I don't know. Actually, I was a little surprised it came equiped with a CB. I did use it our second trip out to snoop on the truckers when traffic came to a complete stop due to an accident. I didn't talk, just listened. Other than that, do we RV'ers have a channel of our own? Just wondering if any of you use yours?

Oh by the way, I have really enjoyed the drinking threads. Someone start a new one!
Well, to answer your question most MH's don't use their "own" channel. The main channel for traveling on CB is 19 and 9 is reserved for emergency use. 19 is used because it is in the middle of the spectrum. As a Amateur radio (HAM) operator I am having my rig decked out with multiple radios in the house and a CB at the drivers bay to communicate with other drivers. It can really come in handy for knowing the location of police activity or just joining a convoy at 2am (Let the 18 wheeler hit the deer for ya).
JayRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
To parkers,
what did you hear snooping on the truckers? I do the same listen and don't say much. It is very handy to hear which lane if any is open at a wreck scene.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jay - obviously I skirted the edges of proper radio protocol. A good friend of mine was a HAM back in the 70's - still is - and there were quite a few people on the fringe during the heyday of sunspots.

Not sure of his reach these days but he's on the High Noon Net out of ABQ. He keeps telling me there's no more ditty bop and easy entry these days. May make it a priority when I retire. I know he has really enjoyed running a net - helping others - etc. It's a great way to give back without making a show of it.

Thanks for providing the OP with the proper reply.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a trucker ( mostly local runs) and when my CB stopped working I yanked it out and left it at home. Now the only person that swears at me is my DW If you are traveling down the middle lane in your MH doing 60 or less, turn your CB off.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350
I'm a trucker ( mostly local runs) and when my CB stopped working I yanked it out and left it at home. Now the only person that swears at me is my DW If you are traveling down the middle lane in your MH doing 60 or less, turn your CB off.
LOL - Either that or be prepared to join a self help group, grow a think skin and check both parents last names on your birth certificate just to be sure.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
LOL - Either that or be prepared to join a self help group, grow a think skin and check both parents last names on your birth certificate just to be sure.
Good one LOL!!

C B's are like a bad reality show with more language!
Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Just thought it would be nice if we had a channel to monitor, given all the MH on the road these days. It is pretty handy to monitor if the traffic is stalled. Other than that I guess I will leave it off. (my skin if pretty thick regarding bad lanquage after working in Max Security Prisons for most of 30 years) Just wondering if new rigs come equiped with CB'S?

Tags
radio