Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2022, 09:54 AM   #1

CB's for RV's

Who uses CB's and what is the best for full time RV'ers?
rtabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #2

Back in the day I was an avid CB user. Nowadays I consider Waze an equivalent except you donít have to listen to all the nonsense plus you get so much more. There are so many users and so many people posting, you miss very little in front of you.
MikeCh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:39 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome aboard!
I have always used Cobra 29's in all of my vehicles. And the language is hardly worse than anything taught in parochial school. Help's to break the monotony.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtabone View Post
Who uses CB's and what is the best for full time RV'ers?
I've got a Cobra that's mounted in the glove box opening on the doghouse of my Class C. Windshield (side cabover window) mount.

Mainly used for the NOAA radio, real time information for just about anywhere, especially when the weather is a concern.

It's hands free once you tune in a station and you can just let it rip and listen.

Forget about traffic with a CB. Mostly you'll hear chatter among local commercial drivers. Sometimes amusing
ChrisDParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We primarily use the CB when traveling with other vehicles.
Unlike a cell phone, they are easy (and legal) to operate while driving.
Bought a Uniden Bearcat SSB with Wx band that works just fine.
I recommend the Wx feature. Don't expect to get any kind of low swr match or range while attached to a big fiberglass box, but the range is fine for what we use it for. Maybe good for a few miles with a 3' fiberglass Firestick whip.
Forget handheld FRS or GMRS unless using them outside line of sight. We've tried them vehicle to vehicle and most of the conversations involved the phrase "I didn't copy that, please repeat".
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When I first got my rig it had a Cobra hand held unit. Tried to use it but didn't get reception. At one point it fried itself so I bought another and after doing some research decided that I needed a new Frestik antenna and bought the SWR tuner and got it about as good as I could but it still ain't great.

I've tried to use it on the road and don't get much of a signal.
But the weather radio does come in handy.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:08 AM   #7

We caravan to Mexico every April and I got a CB and bought several portables to pass out to the others so we could keep in touch, but nobody was the least bit interested. Nobody used them so now I have a box of CBs in the garage waiting for a yard sale, everyone just prefers listening to their music and having the passengers text each other.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:17 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is the sticky for that discussion. Have fun!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f55/
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 12:01 PM   #9

"sticky"? That's just a link back to THIS forum section. Got me curious now, did I miss something? I haven't seen any CB stickies.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:14 PM   #10

My RV came equipped with a Cobra CB. I’ve got no use for it, so I removed the antennas and the Mic.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #11

I mounted a Ham, a GMRS, and a CB in my 2022 Entegra Accolade Super C. All the antennas are on the roof on steel plates and tuned fairly well. My Gladiator toad is similarly equipped and i also have handheld versions of all for any dismounted things we get into. I'm appropriately licensed (KJ4VVA and WRJH219) but not really a need about it.

The CB is for nearby conditions and is still relevant and was especially useful during my recent travels in Florida post-hurricane Ian.

The GMRS is very useful for car to car when the toad is not attached for those shorter runs, when we have already disconnected and are moving to our campsite, or for the DW to back me in using the handheld.

The Ham has a myriad of purposes. I can tune in to local repeaters and helpful folks give me information on any topic I can think of. I frequently talk to people over 60 miles away. Mostly I leave it on the National Simplex 2m frequency (146.520) so other passing Ham operators can hail me if they so choose. On my rear ladder, I have a license plate that details the three radios and what channels I'm monitoring.

All three radios have WX capabilty and that's huge when traveling in unfamiliar territory.

It helps to pass the time as I travel. The truckers rarely abuse the CB channels like they did in decades past. It's simply not as common anymore. Attachment 381615Click image for larger version

Name:	20220617_172859.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	381617Click image for larger version

Name:	20220403_175643.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	381618
El Chapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:08 PM   #12

My new tow vehicle had an OEM spot for mounting a CB and already had an antenna.

I was always a fan of Uniden units. I picked one up for cheap, only because it was pre-wired and ready to go. If not, I would not have considered one at all.

With that said, with over 10k miles along the west coast in the last 18 months I rarely hear any traffic on it. The guy in NV trying to sell his wheel cleaning services was pretty amusing for sure. "Who uses them", hardly anyone.

I would say it depends on your goal of having one if it is worth it our not. Other options might be FRS/GRMS.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #13

The CB is pretty quite now days. You can talk to some 18 wheelers, not all have CBís like before. I sometimes hear two truckers going the same direction talking to each other. Thatís about it for CB radio.

FRS is only for around the campground. For car to car itís good for a quarter mile maybe. Itís a 2 watt power radio.

GMRS Itís better than FRS because of a higher 5 watt power output. Goes about a mile on the highway. I donít hear anyone on the highway on GMRS. Thereís not really a highway channel for it like 19 on the CB. You can set the radio to scan the channels which I havenít tried. In towns thereís talk from businesses or construction sites.

Waze and Google maps work well. Waze is good as long as you are on well traveled highways. On smaller two lane highways itís less effective. Out West can be the same. Both relay on a connection for realtime updates. In towns thereís no shortage of wazers.

For the radios, they are nice to have for local info. And a navigator can be entertained trying to communicate with others on the road, or a passenger could monitor them.

Mostly folks are on their phones though.

So good luck with it!
Old 12-04-2022, 11:38 AM   #14

CB radio is a pretty good idea. I have had one in my camper, truck and home for years. I also have a couple walke talkes for use. Great while out and about. The unofficial RV Channel is channel 13. I have been at a couple campgrounds that actually use them. They are not as popular as they were but that just means that they are not as crowded as they were. I have been in a few areas where cell service is dead. A backup communication system is a little peace of mind. I think that if enough of us get back to using them this could be a great way to communicate with each other as we travel. See you down the road hope you holler as you pass me by.
Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs