Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:04 AM   #1

Ham Radio or CB

I have been tring to read up on both CB and Ham radio. I'm looking for a Radio I can use in the camper/truck and home. That is capable to have hand held units also.

Also has weather channels and all. Only be used most likely in emergency not a everyday thing. I have looked at

Uniden CMX760 Bearcat

Midland MicroMobile 15W GMRS

does anyone have any feed back on these? My head is swimming with all the information.

thanks
dubber
dubbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am a ham radio operator. I have not used a CB in well over 10 years. A ham radio requires a license which requires passing an FCC license test. Sounds like yo need a CB. I would go with Midland or Cobra radios.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ham radio and CB are services that have their own unique purpose with very little overlap. So knowing who you want to communicate with will determine which one you'd want to have.

CB's are license free, and have a limited amount of power and channel capacity. Because they're license free, inexpensive and simple to operate there are some groups that use them for local and site communications. Depending on where you are folks can use them to communicate in rural areas between homes.

Ham radio requires an FCC license that requires a technical test. You are issued a callsign and with that in hand, the door opens up to a host of equipment options that operate over a wide frequency range, modes, and networks that can be very far reaching. But it's not plug and play, it's more about experimentation and technical exploration than utility communications. But I consider it more versatile and useful than CB.

Other services to look at depending on the end goal is FRS/GMRS and MURS. GMRS requires a license but it's a matter of an application fee and you get one. FRS and MURS are good for point to point communications and can offer simple operation and less interference (usually) than CB.

Upshot of all this is define what communications need you're trying to accomplish, then the service/equipment you need will be easy to pick.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I use a cobra 29 lx cb with a firestick ant. In the coach we also have onn handheld walkie talkies with up to 5 mile range
Old 12-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Ham or CB are both pretty limited in popular use.

If you are just looking for limited emergency use, ham will reach out better, even without a license.

For use around the campground and out in the sticks, FRS or GMRS would be your best and cheapest way to go for short range.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #6

Well put. I was thinking up a similar response, but you beat me to it.

I used to have CB but I've had my amateur license for about 7 years and enjoy the hobby. As Mark said, define your needs including who will be on the other end of the conversation and go from there.

I'll add that the GMRS allows family members to communicate under one license, so if family is the focus, that might be a good option.

W7DAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Ham radio and CB are services that have their own unique purpose with very little overlap. So knowing who you want to communicate with will determine which one you'd want to have.

CB's are license free, and have a limited amount of power and channel capacity. Because they're license free, inexpensive and simple to operate there are some groups that use them for local and site communications. Depending on where you are folks can use them to communicate in rural areas between homes.

Ham radio requires an FCC license that requires a technical test. You are issued a callsign and with that in hand, the door opens up to a host of equipment options that operate over a wide frequency range, modes, and networks that can be very far reaching. But it's not plug and play, it's more about experimentation and technical exploration than utility communications. But I consider it more versatile and useful than CB.

Other services to look at depending on the end goal is FRS/GMRS and MURS. GMRS requires a license but it's a matter of an application fee and you get one. FRS and MURS are good for point to point communications and can offer simple operation and less interference (usually) than CB.

Upshot of all this is define what communications need you're trying to accomplish, then the service/equipment you need will be easy to pick.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
CB radios are inexpensive and easy to use. A lot of traffic info to be found *if* you're willing to listen to some very foul language (or expose others to it).

Ham radio has many many more options, from frequencies to power, etc. etc. Yes it does require a license, the entry level license is Technician which will allow you more than you may think. The exam is pretty easy if you study it for an hour or so a day for a week to 10 days. Many online study guides will even give you the questions that will be asked on the exam.

I carry a HT (CBer would call a walkie talkie) in my coach (5 watt), I monitor the two national call frequencies (on 2 meter and 70 cm) while traveling. I hear almost no traffic on it, but it's on and I'm monitoring.

In my toad I have installed a 50 watt mobile unit. With this radio I hit the local repeaters (think of them as relay stations) and I find traffic on them constantly. Some times I join a conversation, but mostly I ask the locals for their favorite restaurants, things to do, and any travel tips for the area. I get a lot of local information everywhere I visit!

If out walking I can link my HT to my mobile radio to get very extended range. I can link to digital repeaters that are linked into the internet, with these I can talk all over the world from my car or HT. You can do all this with the tech license.

Why not do both, the CB is ultra inexpensive and a lot of beginner ham equipment is too.

Best of luck!
Steve

N4EAZ
Old 12-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the Cobra 75 WX ST which has all the controls and speaker built into the mic head. It has weather radio built in and works quite well. A CB especially comes in handy if you are caravanning or traveling with another RVer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CobraWXST.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	311815  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Very good response.

Best option would be getting a ham radio license.
Many more options for longer range communications than CB.
Negative of ham radio would be that few people in RV's are probably using ham radio. I did meet a camper next to me last fall that was a ham. I recognized his ham radio antenna.

I think it all depends on what you want to do with the radios.

Communication with other vehicles on the road for local information, possibly CB would be the best. I have had many contacts (social and traffic information) with ham radio on the road but I bet there are more people out there with CB's

Caravaning with a group, FRS/GMRS/MURS would be better.
GMRS/MURS have the option of using an outside, high gain antenna that can greatly increase range.

Communication around the campground with family/friends, FRS/GMRS/MURS would be better.

OP mentioned handhelds also.
CB walkie talkies seem to be big and clumberson compared to ham/FRS/GMRS/MURS radios. I can easily slip a FRS/GMRS/MURS/ham radio in my pocket but I don't think you could do that with a CB.

OP, let us know what you are trying to do with communications and we can better guide you to the best fit.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #10

when we caravan or convoy with friends or family we use FRS walkie-talkies to stay connected and cell phones for everything else but have been planning to gear up to a ham radio too. probably build a base station in my shop and get a hand held unit to take in our travel trailer for extra piece of mind.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 05:09 AM   #11

I have just about decided to get my Technicians license to carry a small hand held unit when I am out hiking or biking and wife stays back doing her craft stuff. I believe that 2-way communication is necessary so she won't worry too much.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
I have just about decided to get my Technicians license to carry a small hand held unit when I am out hiking or biking and wife stays back doing her craft stuff. I believe that 2-way communication is necessary so she won't worry too much.
Both you and wife will need to get a ham license.
Not hard and not a bad thing.
If not I would consider MURS radios.
Can be better quality than bubble pack FRS radios though significantly more expensive.
Here is an Icom MURS radio. Icom is a very good brand.
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/icom...BoCpeoQAvD_BwE

FRS would be much cheaper and used AA batteries and probably give you the results you need. I would try FRS first and see if that works.
Ham radio license will really open things up but can become a money pit. :-)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have 2 of the cheap Baofeng UV-5R radios that work well for us. Simple to use, and have a pretty good range. (Advertised as 5 watts)

They have a setting to recieve FM radio as well as weather stations.

Easy to program with the cable and a computer. You just download a program called CHIRP.

They can use FRS, GMRS, and many other frequencies. Price is good also. They're very popular.

BAOFENG UV-5R Ⅲ Tri-Band Two Way Radio VHF 1.25M UHF Walkie Talkies

Ebay has them.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
I have 2 of the cheap Baofeng UV-5R radios that work well for us. Simple to use, and have a pretty good range. (Advertised as 5 watts)

They have a setting to recieve FM radio as well as weather stations.

Easy to program with the cable and a computer. You just download a program called CHIRP.

They can use FRS, GMRS, and many other frequencies. Price is good also. They're very popular.

BAOFENG UV-5R Ⅲ Tri-Band Two Way Radio VHF 1.25M UHF Walkie Talkies

Ebay has them.
Only problem is these radios are not legal on those services.

Very, very, very slight possibility that if caught using those radios on FRS/GMRS/MURS you could be fined by the FCC.

The FCC has bigger and better things to do than worrying about that type of violation so I wouldn't worry about it if you went with the Baofengs.

Just be very careful that you don't accidentally use a commercial or public service frequency where you could possibly cause interference.

Do I have Baofeng's programed for those frequencies? Yes.

Have read about a guy purposely interfering with police frequency getting a $400,000 fine.

"This Forfeiture Order imposes a $400k penalty against Jay Peralta, for apparently operating a radio on frequencies licensed to the NYPD, without authorization, as well as broadcasting to disrupt police communications"
https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-issues-fine-dangerous-interference-nypd-radio-system

Tags
ham radio, radio