Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:54 PM   #1

How to get started

I got my technicians ticket several years ago, but didn't have time to do anything with it. I am now retired and have time to get involved. We are traveling full time and I don't know how best to get started.

I don't even own a radio yet. I downloaded the echolink app with the intention of listening to the radio only to find out that it isn't the best protocol.

Any input would be appreciated.
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I suggest joining an amateur radio club in your area.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I suggest joining an amateur radio club in your area.

-Tom, W3TLN
We are traveling full time and don't have an "area" for any extended period of time.

I'll get it worked out, just will take it slow and talk with Ham's in parks every chance I get.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

I got my technical a little over a year ago and just got my general. I am not expert but I can make some suggestions:

Get a 2 band hand held radio that will do 2 meter and 7cm bands. Those bands are pretty open to technician class. There are many repeaters around the country and many nets that you can search out a join to get some radio time and experience. My wife and I started with a pair of Yaesu FT 60r which were recommended for their durability (our interest is emergency response). Their are a lot of Boefang radios out there in the $40 price range. They are Chinese but are good entry level radios that would get you started.

Get a computer cable and programming software. Some more experienced die-hard hams might frown on that but do it anyway. It is the easiest and quickest way to get some frequencies programmed that you can scan to find conversations or nets. The programming software I use links to several repeater directory web sites and lets you download selected frequencies wiht offsets, tomes, etc.

Consider other antennas. The rubber antennas that come with most handhelds (also call HT) do not maximize the 5 watt output. I have a couple of longer antennas, a j-pole made from ladder line, and a couple of magnetic roof mounts that I use at for various situations.

I was lucky to win a 2m mobile radio that I use as a mobile/base. I put an antenna on the luggage rails of my class A and wired power form the house batteries. This can get habit forming and costly.

Once yo have some experience with the above, then consider other radios and maybe getting your general and going HF. I am right at that point and have an HF radio being delivered on Monday (used). Now to figure out the antennas for my home base and for the MH.

Fortunately, I have some great mentors through our local club that are helping me with the technical details and will help me install the antenna once I get one.

One last thing. You nay want to review the manuals just to update your memory on the procedures and rules.

Good luck. Maybe will hear yo on the air.

Dave
KG7JCA
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:41 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd520 View Post
I got my technicians ticket several years ago, but didn't have time to do anything with it. I am now retired and have time to get involved. We are traveling full time and I don't know how best to get started.

I don't even own a radio yet. I downloaded the echolink app with the intention of listening to the radio only to find out that it isn't the best protocol.

Any input would be appreciated.
Well, if you're talking about how to get started in ham radio generally, then I agree that joining a ham radio club in your area is a good idea. They'll show you how to get on to the local repeater, advise you on radio selections, and help you if you decide to upgrade to General. In the clubs I've been in, usually someone has a spare radio and can loan it to you, help you string an antenna, and otherwise get you on the air.

If you're talking about how to get started in using a ham radio in an RV, the local club may not be much help. I'd suggest the FMCA Amateur Radio Chapter. Their website is here: FMCA Amateur Radio Chapter :: Home. Unless you feel like driving cross-county to Kentucky by tomorrow, you'll miss this year's annual meeting, but I'm sure there are members in Arizona who could help you out.

73 Skip K4EAK
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #6

I would skip the Chinese handhelds (HT's), they can be a bear to program unless you have the software and do it on the computer. In fact for your needs I would skip the hand helds for now and get a good dual band 2M/70CM mobile rig. I like the Yaesu FT-7900 but there is a Kenwood Tm-V71A or even the Icom IC-V8000. Easy to program and good power selection. Get a good dual band antenna suitable for your RV, again good brands are Diamond and Larson.

You will need to know where the repeaters are and frequencies so either go on-line and search for repeaters in the area you are staying or better yet purchase a repeater directory from ARRL, (or the local dealer) a new one is published every year although they don't change much year to year. By the way the publish a big print version for us older folk.

Go on line to find the radios, Gigaparts is one of the biggest on-line vendors but you may want to go to a store and get face to face info. HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) is in many of the major cities, there is a store in Phoenix. Or check any area you are in for a local ham radio vendor.

Next, to get information about mobile radios you should go to this web site and down the left column select "OTR & RV". This is one of the best websites for mobile radio use, setup and problem solving, mobile radio in general.

www.k0bg.com

Check the ARRL web site for clubs in the area you are staying and also check for Hamfests during the year. You may run onto some good places to pick up some other gear.

Since you are a Tech try to find a 10M radio that can get you on HF SSb at 28.300 to 28.500 for good long distance communications but propagation right really sucks so not much going on there. There are some 10M only radios out there but may be a little hard to find. Also consider for other SSB try 6M's which is usually good only in the summer.

Do a Google search for "ham radio RV forums" to pick up other info. I could give you a couple but this forum and others don't like the competition and delete them.

Good luck, by the way start studying for your General license. The question pool for the General license will change effective July 1 of this year so if you get a study manual be sure to get one that has the new questions. The manual should state the July 1 2015 start date. I am a volunteer examiner in the Atlanta area and suggest anyone that is just beginning to study for the General to wait another month.
Marv
KT4W
Old 05-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #7

Thanks everyone

A lot of useful info.

I have opted go cheap up front until I have a better grasp on what I will get the best use out of. I ordered an BaoFeng HT with a better antenna and cable so that I can program it with the computer.

I have been reading forums, the links provided will help. I had already decided to study for the general test. The info on the pool question changing in July should save me wasted time practicing with the wrong question set.

Thanks again,

Jack
KF7FVX (I'll have to get used to including this)
Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #8

If you want to use an external antenna you will need a "SMA female to SO-239 adapter. They can be bought on Ebay at a reasonable cost. I looked at one website and they suggested using a SMA female to SO-239 pigtail to reduce stress on the connection. The Chinese HT's have a reverse SMA antenna port. Japanese radios have BNC connectors (mostly).

The "rubber ducky" antennas have limited range. With an external mag mount antenna you may have a much longer range. I have Wouxun HT and was able to hit a repeater over 30 miles away with 5W using a Larson dual band mag mount antenna. My biggest problem with the Chinese HT's is that the squelch is programed into the radio and not manually adjustable.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
My biggest problem with the Chinese HT's is that the squelch is programed into the radio and not manually adjustable.
As you stated, not manually adjustable, but you can change/set the squelch with programming software.

For my Wouxun KG-UVD1P I use KG-UVD1P V 2.11.exe programming software.

-Tom, W3TLN

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote