Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #1

Installing a Ground Plane (HF) On The Roof

I'm in a 36' diesel pusher and am currently using either a Tarheel M-100 Screwdriver (w/6' whip) OR an Eagle One 31' push up fiberglass vertical. Both are mounted to the rear ladder on the motorhome and also attached to the ladder is a 20' long x 1" wide stainless braided cable that attaches to the frame of the coach, then goes up one side of the ladder under each antenna clamps/brackets and then runs back down the ladder to the frame again (making a mechanical ground loop). This was the grounding method suggested by Tarheel.

I want to improve the system and am considering getting a foldover mount (motorized or manual) for the 31' Eagle One vertical. The question is; How to provide a good electrical ground plane. 2 different options have been suggested;

#1 Line the roof with multiple strips of aluminum tape. Each would run from front to back (full length of the coach) and be connected at multiple points along the path Bond the ground (frame and coax) of the antenna to the aluminum tape.

#2 I am installing (6) 200w solar panels on the roof this month. Option 2 says to install a self tapping sheet metal screw into each panel (frame) and connect each of the (6) frames to each other AND then to the antenna mount/coax. The aluminum solar panel frames would then be my ground plane.

Any thoughts on either of these methods? I can do either (or both)
herbsells is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Anything you do will be suboptimal, of course.

I envision a problem with the tape option simply because it's tape.

But I can really see problems with the solar option. I would keep any part of the antenna system as far from the panels and wiring as I could. I've heard stories of radial systems going hot and sparking.

I'm looking at mounting some type of vertical arrangement on my rig as well. I'm tempted to screw it into the side and use all that body aluminum as a counterpoise. Alternatively, you could run a long piece of copper wire down the roof and cover it with lap sealant. I'm considering a pole and a dipole just because of the inherent issues with verticals. I don't operate HF in motion, anyway.

Hopefully someone will chime in here who has some real world experience.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do *not* take the risk of the high AC voltage on your solar power system. Keep that seperate if for no other reason than to avoid getting strange readings or behavior from your charge controller and/or meter, etc.

How about just a radial wire that you can lay out or attach to a fiberglass driveway marker stake to improve your signal while parked? A single or multiple radial wires can also have an effect on the directionality of a vertical antenna somewhat.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #4

Thanks, I dont run mobile either, but when parked I want to keep the antenna on my lot and the vertical accomplishes that and is pretty discreet for those parks that dont like unsitely antennas.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

Thanks for your input. I DO have about 45' of #6 solid copper I could unroll along the length of the rig. Think I'll try that. Thanks

Tags
install, roof