Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #1

I have not owned a CB since the 70s when they were the "thing to have." I just installed a new Cobra SSB CB today with a glass mount Midland antenna. I am not convinced this antenna will work for me.

I listened to all of the channels in AM then USB and LSB and heard nothing. I am rather far away from the trucking routes so I wasn't surprised.
What channels (and band) should I monitor these days?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #2

I have not owned a CB since the 70s when they were the "thing to have." I just installed a new Cobra SSB CB today with a glass mount Midland antenna. I am not convinced this antenna will work for me.

I listened to all of the channels in AM then USB and LSB and heard nothing. I am rather far away from the trucking routes so I wasn't surprised.
What channels (and band) should I monitor these days?

Old 04-19-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I listen to ch. 19, as that's where the truckers (and all the nonsense, profanity, etc.) are, but that's where the road and traffic conditions are found. After a while, I get my fill of all the nonsense and turn the squelch way up to block most of it.

If I was traveling with another RV, we would switch to a quiet channel to plan a stop, etc.

I had used a glass mount antenna before, and the transmit and receive range was much less than a roof top antenna.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:40 AM   #4

I have been told the RV channel is 13 but don't seem to hear many rvers over there. I use the Wilsom stick and works fine. I sometimes don't even turn the CB on for thousands of miles, until I come to a traffic jam.

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
I listen to CH. 19 fo traffic info. Our club uses Ch. 3 for traveling together. Like others, I have tried ch. 13, but I never found anyone.

I tried the glass mount antenna, and it didn't work well for me. I got the same antenna that Winnebago uses and installed it with the help of a couple of friends. For a 4 watt radio, it doesn'r do badly.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
For the antenna quesion, consider Firestik. They have kits for ground plane and no ground plane installations. Click here and see if there is anything you like.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Bob - W8RLM, where did you get the antenna that Winnebago uses. I'm thinking of the same antenna. Did you order it direcly from Winnebago, and if not what part # did you have?

My other choice is maybe the dual phased Firestik antennas. Any thoughts?
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
WA0MQE,

Bob, I was on an Alaska caravan. We were heading to Palmer, Alaska and passed through Ankorage. The Winnebagp dealer had one in his stock.

If you call owner relations in Forest City, I'm sure that they can give you the part number.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 04-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Back In the 70 and 80's we had a channel 9 for emergency's and I was with REACT for several years. I scan with my cobra,19,13 and 9. Also if there is a weather alert It gives me a wake up call, Even in the middle of the night. Using a Shakespeare Antenna. a single and it is mounted on the drivers side. Cobra 29wxt. Love it! I deo miss the donald duck with sideband! Maybe they will make a model like the 29 but with ssb.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote