Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Which Radio?

Greetings one and all,

I am in the home study mode for my Technician class license

Want to get a portable unit for use in the truck,in the trailer and at home or wherever. A few of my HAM friend have mentioned the ICOM ID-51A plus.

Would like to here from anyone with pros and cons on this unit and any other radio
recommendations.

Thanks,

WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hey there.
So there are a few really good radios out there that can be moved easy and work great.

The ID-51A is one I haven't played with but if you want to run something mobile, in the trailer and in the house, i would go with an actual mobile unit and not a handheld. I think of handhelds as a back up or a part time radio, not something to be running a lot mobile.

The Icoms with the D-Star feature is cool but that is up to you if you want to go digital. There are a lot of great radios out there but remember... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I would stick with the big 3 like Icom, Kenwood and Yeasu. Alinco's aren't to bad either. You'll have nothing but a headache with the Chinese stuff.

Another thing to think about is this... do you really want to stay with just a Tech? Down the road a General or Extra could happen so you could also give thought to some of the HF mobiles that not only cover HF but 6m, 2m 70cm, and even 1.2 ALL MODE. All mode VHF and UHF is pretty fun.

Look around at what AES and HRO has for radios and keep an eye out for some used equipment too. There is some really good gear out there for a pretty cheap price (the IC-706 MK2G from Icom was a great little rig)

73's and good luck in the contest.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #3

agree wholeheartedly with Dave. the cheap Chinese radios are tempting since they're essentially free (less than $100) but I wouldn't go there if I were you. I also agree with getting a good dual-band (V/UHF) mobile/externally mounted antenna for the RV or towed rather than a handheld. range will be better due to greater power output. but if a handheld is what you're seeking then I would avoid spending big bucks on a digital radio like D-Star, DMR, P-25 or even the new Yaesu protocol (System Fusion). look around at local hamfests and you'll be able to find a decent used handheld for $100-$125. stick with ICOM, Kenwood or Yaesu (I'm partial to ICOM and have a pair of W-32 ICOM handhelds). be sure to test whatever handheld you intend to buy.

good luck!
Old 01-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is nothing wrong with the chinese radios except for the manuals and the ease of use. If you are willing to put up with a difficult to use radio that is inexpensive to get into, than the chinese radios are worth a look. Especially if one is very computer savvy and can use the CHIRP software to program the radio. Home - CHIRP

If you buy a chinese radio from someone that checks each one for quality before they ship them, you have a very good chance of not having a radio that transmits too wide of a bandwidth, a dirty signal, or a few other problems. An example would be Main Trading Company. MTC Or Powerwerx. Wouxun Radios, Crimp Tools, Power Supplies & Power Poles for Sale | Powerwerx Amateur Electronic Supply (AES) was also mentioned in a previous post. http://www.aesham.com/

If you can afford it, get two radios: a dual band mobile, and a dual band hand held. Both will have their particular uses that they are both suited for. Using a hand held while driving can be a little problematic, but if you can only afford a hand held right now, get a magnetic mount antenna to get the radio signal outside of the car. It will work so much better than trying to get that weak little signal out of a metal cage.

There are a lot of users of the cheaper chinese radios, and while they have had their problems, they are providing some stiff competition to the larger radio manufacturers. There are plenty of accessories available for them, too. One that you probably cannot do without is a longer antenna, as a minimum "must have" upgrade to the little "dummy load" pencil of plastic they normally come with.

If you have to have D-Star, then Icom is your only choice at this time, and likely into the future.

I own a Yaesu VX8 handheld, and an 8800 mobile. They are great radios. If you can afford them, or others like them, I recommend those very highly.

But like many toys and hobbies, there are cheaper, and more expensive ways to get started. An inexpensive radio and a couple of accessories (mag mount antenna, better "rubber duck" antenna, and/or speaker/mic) for it to make it work well are great starting points for the new ham.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:38 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The ID-51A is a do all box. It does both analog and digital, It will auto-display local digital repeaters (And I think Analog) and more. Far as I can tell it is the cadillac of VHF rigs (Or VHF/UHF)

If you'd like to learn more about it check out episodes of Ham Nation or Amateur Logic TV from last two years ('14 and '15) ICOM is a sponsor and George often does ads for them where he shows off the radio.. In fact I think at least one episode of one of those shows FEATURED the ID-51A and demonstrations of it.

I have to admit, I would not mind having one myself.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The ID-51A is a do all box. It does both analog and digital, It will auto-display local digital repeaters (And I think Analog) and more. Far as I can tell it is the cadillac of VHF rigs (Or VHF/UHF)
(SNIP)
I have to admit, I would not mind having one myself.
If I didn't already have the Yaesu VX8, I'd be looking hard at one, too.

I'd like to clear up the "digital" part, though. The Icom digital radio products work a mode called D-STAR. There are D-STAR repeaters in many places, but if you're buddies aren't using it, there may not be a good reason to get a radio that is capable of that mode. I have an IC-7100 multi band, multi mode radio, adn D-STAR really isn't that popular in the places I've been. D-STAR repeaters are not multi mode capable like the Yaesu "System Fusion" repeaters are, and if there is no action on the machine, especially if it's not connected to the internet, it might be all but dead. Check with as many folks as you can if D-STAR is truly active in your area before shelling out the coin for a radio that will work in that mode.

For the record, I am very happy with my IC-7100. I think it's a great radio.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Get a simple radio and leave all the "foo foo" stuff alone until you become competent in operating and decide to stay in the hobby.

I recommend a mobile as you can do everything with it except walk down the street with it hanging on your belt. If you do go handheld, get one big enough that when you punch buttons, you punch one at a time. Some keypads are so small you can more than one at a time.

I recommend either Icom or Kenwood. Both of those brands are simple to operate and don't have menus within menus. Alinco is another brand that is a good radio and are simple to operate. Stay away from the $35 handhelds you can get on eBay. They aren't bad radios but programming will make you pull your hair out.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:38 PM   #8

I would like to thank all that have provide information so far,as someone just learning about this hobby.

Hopefully by the time I get my ticket I will be able to make a good choice.

It is a pleasure to hear form everyone and not feel like I am being talked down to.

73 WWR
wwron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
It is a pleasure to hear form everyone and not feel like I am being talked down to.

73 WWR
You have just described nearly every person I have met in ham radio. They don't talk down, love to help and share, and hopefully I can do the same, too.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

FWIW as I read this I was listening to a Baofeng UV-5R. Now some truckers somewhere around Texas are talking on IRLP. All I need is enough power and a reasonable antenna to hit the local repeater. I find the small hand held with a longer whip or better yet a mag mount and flexible antenna cable so the hand held works like a microphone works. Lossy cable but we are only talking a few feet. If something happens I order another one for less than $50. All the local repeaters in the WNY area are programmed in via CHIRP. That makes the poor menu system sort of a no big deal.

As far as quality goes it pays to have a friend or be a friend with the equipment to check any hand held. I got sufficiently annoyed with another unit to get a deviation meter. A club I belong to also does tune up sessions once a year. There used to be cheap deviation meters around but they seem to be a thing of the past. IMHO every new ham should have one just to figure out how to hold the microphone. ;-)

As far as who I am screwing over where I spent my money everything in the Ham market it currently made off shore thus I see no difference. There is an Icom mobile and a Yaesu handheld also sitting here but the cheapy is the handiest for what I need.

If I was only going to buy one radio I would consider a mobile and power supply as a better choice. OTOH given the cost... ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #11

Don't forget the hand held Yaesu FT60 dual bander for 160$
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter View Post
Don't forget the hand held Yaesu FT60 dual bander for 160$
My wife and I each started with the FT60R. It's a durable radio with good functionality. I used mine as a mobile unit with a mag mount antenna until I recently upgraded to a regular mobile radio (FTM 400XDR). I put a dual band antenna on the back of the MH and use it when traveling as well.

One reason I picked this radio was because several members of our radio club had them, which gave me a good source for help.

It's a good place to start and will still be functional after you get more c experience.

That said there is nothing wrong with the other choice PS mentioned.

Dave
KG7JCA
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio