Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #1

2000Watts Solar and 1120 Amp Hours Lithium in Showcase Build

It's actually a 2019 Holiday Rambler 33C, but the exact same thing as a Bounder 33C, except the paint.
The project started with the purchase of a slightly used 33C in March.
The Bounder/Rambler platform was perfect for the build. I installed 2000 Watts of solar on the roof in separate arrays and two charge controllers.
I removed the lead acid batteries from under the steps and cut a 2 1/2" hole from the under stairs to the basement bay adjacent to the battery compartment, lined it with a bushing to where the stock 2000 Watt inverter is located. I did not change out the inverter. That is a future project when I change to a 24Volt system.
I routed the two ground wires and the inverter and House positive to that basement bay and started to install my components, buss bars, fuses and breakers.
I purchased 1120AH of lithium Prismatic cells directly from China at 83% less cost than battle born, at 2.8 times the performance and 1/3 smaller footprint.

I am now power independent and can do all including, heat water without a worry. System turned out better than expected. The components are all the highest end and I'm talking to the distributor of the Victron Energy products to have this available in a DIY kit for Bounders and Vacationers.
Post any questions about the build and I'm happy to answer them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7738.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	291635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7690.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	291636  

Name:	IMG_7691.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	291637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7688.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	291638  

cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Are you using a BMS with those LiFePO4 cells? Which one?

Congrats on the build. You'll enjoy it.
n0mad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:04 PM   #3

Interesting. I did mine 3 1/2 years ago on a 35K Bounder.
'16 Bounder Solar and Lithium Upgrade
Curious how you got around the alternator charging the lithium all the time driving down the road?
I also have a separate thread on that issue.
Other issues are the split power panel and how you did that. Love to see some schematics like my post included.
You'll also find the problem with HEAT in that compartment. It is right next to the catalytic converter and being in the same compartment as the inverter it generates way too much heat.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
Are you using a BMS with those LiFePO4 cells? Which one?

Congrats on the build. You'll enjoy it.
I'm using a Daly 200 amp BMS on each pack. The packs are 280AH each, but four in parallel will never draw close to the 200A BMS (I would have to be drawing 800Amps from from my parallel pack to trip the BMS), so those work well. Even when heating water, I draw 40 amps per pack.
cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Kinda similar set-up here.....1600W of solar and 840Ah of Lithium batteries. I used the Lion Energy and love them, 30% lighter than BB and also a smaller footprint which allowed me to get 8 with room for 2 more in the same space that would only accommodate 7 BBs. If I was doing this again knowing what I know I might do the DIY cells but since the batteries were going at the foot of the bed I decided to go with a drop-in with integrated BMS.

Until yesterday I was running a Victron 150/100 with the panels, that was pretty much maxing out the Solar controller and we still had the 2001 Xantrex Fredom 458 (MSW) inverter. This actually worked pretty good even with a residential refrigerator and built-in wine cooler but..............it wasn't good enough

Over the last few days we converted the battery bank to 24V (See Picture) which meant adding 24-12V conversion, I wanted to have real time visibility to everything n the system so we decided to go with Victron gear. The first thing we needed was 2 24-12V converter to handle the large 12V load potential with the leveling and slide-out system, and also added (2) 12-24V DC-DC converter chargers to handle alternator charging while on the road.

For power we used (2) Victron 24/3000 multiples inverter chargers configured for split phase operation which gives us the ability to run a 240V device in the future (Mini-split AC unit) and added a 240 breaker in a subpanel and ran wire to future location of condenser unit.

Everything is wired through 2 Victron Lynx bus bar/fuse systems for protection and efficiency.

The results are nothing short of amazing.....today I was running one of the rooftop AC units AND the hot water heater at the same time no issues The screenshot was with the AC unit running with the water heater off.

I'm sure something like this will be your next step and thought I'd share....good luck with your next steps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0560.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	324.8 KB
ID:	292769   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556(1).jpg
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	292770  

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	292771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0530.jpg
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	292772  

2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #6

Wow, so you don't ever have to worry if you have enough juice to power anything right?

I have 600ah total in my batteries. I can run the TV and my desktop computer and of course LED lights without worrying My microwave too but I don't run AC or anything through it. I follow weather so I don't worry much about how hot it gets. This last week when I boondocked I went high altitude in NV on the eastern side of sierra nevadas near Carson City, and it was about 80 or so there so no biggie.

To run the AC I have a generator.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium, solar