Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #1

920 Watts of panels and this is what I am getting?

Hey guys,
I just had solar installed and I am so (new to this)I just don't know if it's working right or not. Seems to me like I should be getting more amps considering the panel ratings but I just don't know. The a panels are 230w 24volt panels 4 total in parallel and series, and my charge controller is a flex Outback MPPT 80amp.

The panel specs and my current read out on the face of the outback are attached. Would someone more experienced let me know if this is normal. The panels are laying flat so I know there is gonna be some drop off. No shad on any panel when the pic was taken around 4pm. Los Angeles and sunny.

Thanks

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SolarCell Type.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	204538   Click image for larger version

Name:	OutbackWindow.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	373.5 KB
ID:	204539  

2018 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35E /2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland
AlanEBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #2

Looks like the batteries are full.
Try putting on a few big load on it.
RasMouSein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:10 PM   #3

It's plugged into 15amp service. I assumed the IN on the Outback would be reporting the actual amperage in which seems really low to me. I will unplug the coach tomorrow and see what happens by the end of the day with my residential fridge running.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanEBell View Post
It's plugged into 15amp service. I assumed the IN on the Outback would be reporting the actual amperage in which seems really low to me. I will unplug the coach tomorrow and see what happens by the end of the day with my residential fridge running.

Thanks
That's it !!!
RasMouSein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:18 PM   #5

The charge controller is in float mode , meaning the batteries have been fully charged and it is just keeping them at 13.6 v. With the setup you have, you should see close to 60 amps charging under ideal conditions . A lot depends on how big a battery bank you have and the depth of discharge of the bank . Your currents will be higher earlier in the day when the bulk charging is happening. To see the maximum current , the charge voltage has to be less than the controller set voltage. Once the battery voltage reaches the controller set voltage , the current is reduced to keep the voltage from exceeding the set point.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #6

Yep, solar will sit in float mode if batteries are full. Meaning your not going to be pushing any amps from the panels.

Need to look at it when batteries are 75% and sun is full on your array and its says bulk charging.....then you'll know!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #7

So many variables! Very possible with high efficiency panels, and 100% + wiring runs, and a good Controller (You have a good one.) to see a range of 5.5-7 Amps per 100W of panel, in peak sun. So roughly 57 - 63 Amps 'could' be pumped into a battery during Bulk charge mode. (If, the controller is not set to limit the max amps to a specific battery type and or battery bank size.)

That being said, not uncommon to loose power from the panels > cabling > switching > controller > cabling to battery runs... So IMO, a yield of 5 Amps per 100W would not be out of the question, for approximately 50A.

I may have missed it, but did not notice a spec on Efficiency for the panels?

Not saying this is the case here at all. But have heard from board members, and professional Solar Installers, that the quality of a panel can make a large difference on the actual yield of Amp output to the battery. So often I've read about buying 'the lowest dollar amount per watt' when panel shopping. But contrasting that input with other's that say, especially in a limited real estate space of many RV roofs, pay a bit extra for the higher efficiency panels.

Be interesting to see your numbers when you are in full sun and in Bulk charge mode.

Best of luck to you, and enjoy your free, and quiet, power!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

Update.
The system runs great. Can run my residential fridge and charge the batteries at the same time. Getting close to 45 amps mid day. Loving solar. Nothing like the freedom it gives while boondocking.
Thanks everyine for taking the time to comment and help a newbie like myself.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanEBell View Post
Loving solar. Nothing like the freedom it gives while boondocking.
VERY TRUE!!!
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #10

McRods simple answer is the best. Also I’ve been boondocking near the Arctic Circle with a flat mounted panel and it works great, any power lose compared to angling more at the sun seems minimal and insignificant.
vermontbuild is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel