Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 11:22 AM   #1

9BB Panels ??

Planning to install 2x 200w rooftop panels this year. Been holding off until I can get the straight scoop on 9BB panels. Are they worth the extra money? I understand that they produce more output in low light than traditional mono crystalline, which I guess would also make them more suitable for serial wiring. But I donít know how to separate the facts from marketing hype. Has anybody installed them? Whatís your experience with 9BB?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
Planning to install 2x 200w rooftop panels this year. Been holding off until I can get the straight scoop on 9BB panels. Are they worth the extra money? I understand that they produce more output in low light than traditional mono crystalline, which I guess would also make them more suitable for serial wiring. But I donít know how to separate the facts from marketing hype. Has anybody installed them? Whatís your experience with 9BB?

Here's a link to the first 9BB 200w solar panel...$299 each!
https://www.bougerv.com/products/200...no-solar-panel

I adopted a different approach when I put solar on my RVs. I bought quality used panels for dirt cheap. You can find them on craigslist or FB Marketplace. Companies that install solar usually have a lot as well as they frequently remove panels from homes. My panels were 10 years old but tested to be working properly (easy to do). I got them from www.SanTanSolar.com. I originally wanted a 200w system (all I needed for modest boondocking) on my RV and I was going to buy new, but instead I found used 250w panels for $50 each. When I went to pick them up they were actually on sale for $35 each(!) so on the spot I decided to make my solar system 500w (2 panels for $70 total).

Yes, the new 200w 9BB panels are likely a little more efficient. Are they more efficient than 250w of used panels? If so, likely just a little. But they are WAY more expensive. In your case, you say you want 2 x 200w = 400w of solar on your roof. That would be $598 for 2 panels. If I were you, I would buy 500w (or 600w) of used panels for probably less than $150 and use all the savings to buy all your other components (and beer ).

Side note: I'm in California and there are solar panels everywhere. Looks like you are in NC. I checked your craigslist and didn't see many used panels. Perhaps it is harder to get used panels for cheap where you are. If you are traveling anywhere that it is sunny a lot (ie. Florida?) perhaps they will be abundant there and you can pick up some used panels for cheap.

Afterall....the panels will be sitting on your roof and practically NOBODY will see them, so who cares if they are shiny and new? Here are mine, pumping out way more power than I need....

Warning: Solar is addictive!

Happy Camping!
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #3

Thanks Chris,
Nice install you have.
We’ve been trying to run on a single portable panel, but it rarely farms more than 30amps/day. Not enough for more than 3 days feeding our compressor fridge. If we had 400w on the roof, we’d likely never have to run our generator again.

If my brain were functioning like a normal person’s, I would have had the clarity to buy a couple of used home panels when I was in California this year, and hauled them back home. None of your folks will ship them at a reasonable price. I’ve been told they have to ship palletized liter. That makes them more expensive for me than rv panels. And like Supreme Court justices, I like beer.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:09 PM   #4

I have 600 watts of (new) 9BB panels and I still have to run my gen some during several days of cloudy weather.
Camper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
And like Supreme Court justices, I like beer.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:02 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
Here's a link to the first 9BB 200w solar panel...$299 each!
https://www.bougerv.com/products/200...no-solar-panel

I adopted a different approach when I put solar on my RVs. I bought quality used panels for dirt cheap. You can find them on craigslist or FB Marketplace. Companies that install solar usually have a lot as well as they frequently remove panels from homes. My panels were 10 years old but tested to be working properly (easy to do). I got them from www.SanTanSolar.com. I originally wanted a 200w system (all I needed for modest boondocking) on my RV and I was going to buy new, but instead I found used 250w panels for $50 each. When I went to pick them up they were actually on sale for $35 each(!) so on the spot I decided to make my solar system 500w (2 panels for $70 total).

Yes, the new 200w 9BB panels are likely a little more efficient. Are they more efficient than 250w of used panels? If so, likely just a little. But they are WAY more expensive. In your case, you say you want 2 x 200w = 400w of solar on your roof. That would be $598 for 2 panels. If I were you, I would buy 500w (or 600w) of used panels for probably less than $150 and use all the savings to buy all your other components (and beer ).

Side note: I'm in California and there are solar panels everywhere. Looks like you are in NC. I checked your craigslist and didn't see many used panels. Perhaps it is harder to get used panels for cheap where you are. If you are traveling anywhere that it is sunny a lot (ie. Florida?) perhaps they will be abundant there and you can pick up some used panels for cheap.

Afterall....the panels will be sitting on your roof and practically NOBODY will see them, so who cares if they are shiny and new? Here are mine, pumping out way more power than I need....

Warning: Solar is addictive!

Happy Camping!
Chris
Good info.. I should have gone to the used market, I see panels all the time,, A local took a small solar farm at 2 sites out since after 10 years they get grants to re do them,, Working fine but..

I plan on grapping some 330 watt at 41V $75 each , pop 9 or t 10 on my garage and feed back into grid..or atleast off set my lights etc..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
Good info.. I should have gone to the used market, I see panels all the time,, A local took a small solar farm at 2 sites out since after 10 years they get grants to re do them,, Working fine but..

I plan on grapping some 330 watt at 41V $75 each , pop 9 or t 10 on my garage and feed back into grid..or atleast off set my lights etc..

330w at $75.....That's the way to do it!! I don't have solar on my house (...I still think that putting NEW solar THROUGH A SOLAR COMPANY (with their big markup) on a home is not worthwhile UNLESS you know you will stay there for at a minimum of 10-15 years), but I have thought about getting some used panels (12-15) and putting them on a large trellis that I have. If I do it myself (and have an electrician friend to hook it in to my power) it would be dirt cheap to do... Any of you done something like that?

Solar is addictive!
-Chris
Old 08-19-2022, 04:32 PM   #8

Just make sure your controller can handle the higher output voltages of the panels.
Old 08-20-2022, 06:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Just make sure your controller can handle the higher output voltages of the panels.
Yes even in an RV set up..

I am sourcing some units for the House system .. 12, 300 wattish panels will be my start with a grid tie unit.that can charge battery if needed..
8 amp each panel 37V , should get me around 20-22 amps at 120v. Or 10-11 amp each leg..split for 240..

20AHR for 6 hrs a day lets say 5 days a week.. I can do a full calc but.. for my brain to picture... 120 Ahr a day or 14.5KW
at 20 days a month that is 290 KW a month my use now is 600 - 1000KW.. Sept to April is 550-680.. So I can cut bill in half.. those months..
$50 a month avg.. .. STILL Gonna spend 3K min for this base system with my labor. I figure 2 weeknds..
5 year return,, urgh still its green and Maybe a tax write of,, then it is all green..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 02:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibe View Post
So I can cut bill in half.. those months..
$50 a month avg.. .. STILL Gonna spend 3K min for this base system with my labor. I figure 2 weeknds..
5 year return,, urgh still its green and Maybe a tax write of,, then it is all green..

I will need to do the math on my home...but I think my PG&E bill last month was $700 (mostly for electricity). I would hope/want my ROI break even to be less than 5 years otherwise I can't get too excited about it.

Green is good though, so maybe that will push me some.

-Chris

Tags
panel