RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #1

Anyone using the Outback Controllers?

How do they compare with Morningstar and Blue Sky? I am looking at the Outback Flexmax 60, a 24V system.

Thanks....

2005 Country Coach Allure 430

nkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Community Moderator

have seen fake ones on ebay by a seller from australlia.
heard the fan is constantly on and noisy. no hands-on experience.

CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:48 AM   #3

Commercial Member

Entegra Owners Club
All 3 are good charge controllers. The OutBack is superior because of the company that stands behind it and it is more efficient in harvesting electric from the solar panels. The FM60 is also more programmable and user friendly IMUO.
Fireflyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone using the Outback Controllers?

Suggest to consider MidNite controllers as well. I have Morningstar 60 on the PA, but considering MidNite for the Phaeton due to higher capacity availability.

I have been very satisfied with Morningstar. It has just worked and worked very well for me over the past few years. Have used their tech support a couple times, very responsive and knowledgable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

Midnite Solar Classic has the best performance but small terminals. Kid is a waste of money. Outback has poor customer service so we quit sell thoses years ago. Morningstar would be good if you did not need a computer, software and a special cable to program for correct battery charging. Blue Sky Energy 3024iL is outstanding for small systems (under 1100 Watts) and has the best battery capacity monitor (IPN Pro) on the market. Their controllers can be networked so you can grow your system using different size PV modules. We have sold and installed over 800 BSE controllers with extremely low failure rate.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

Anyone tried the Magnum Dimensions PT 100? If you have a Magnum inverter and the right remote control it looks like they have done some nice integration between the two products...

It will output 100A at 12v as well making it the highest capacity MPTT controller out there.

http://www.magnum-dimensions.com/ren...ts/controllers
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUpp View Post
Anyone tried the Magnum Dimensions PT 100? If you have a Magnum inverter and the right remote control it looks like they have done some nice integration between the two products...

It will output 100A at 12v as well making it the highest capacity MPTT controller out there.

Controllers | Magnum Dimensions
I was a beta tester of the PT-100 for use with our Lithium Ion battery systems. Integration with late model Magnum Inverters is excellent. Performance is good and we have installed about a dozen so far. I would not recommend it for a stand alone controller because there is no programming available, only DIP switch settings.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #8

Larry (Battery Pro), I'm curious about your comment about the KID charge controller. I have one in my truck camper and have been fairly pleased with it. I installed the Whiz Bang Jr., temperature sensor and the shunt and thought that the overall price was fairly reasonable, but then again I don't sell and install these things regularly.

The thing that I do like about it is that it is an all-in-one package and that I was able to make good use of a couple of older but unused Shell Solar SQ-165 modules., which just fit into the roof space that I had available.

Tom
Old 02-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baphenatem View Post
Larry (Battery Pro), I'm curious about your comment about the KID charge controller. ...

Tom
Hi Tom,

Perhaps that was poorly said by me. We don't like the Kid because the terminal block is far, FAR too small for a 30 amp controller, the unit is too heavy for many RV walls and can only be surface mounted, the tiny display is hard to view from angles, fat fingered people will have a real hard time with the buttons and there is not much room for wiring in the wire box. Then you have exposed wires running in side your RV.

It does have some good features so Im sure for some it is not a waste of money. I would like to withdraw that comment and say when compared to other charge controllers, we don't recommend it.

Larry
Old 02-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Larry,

I agree that wiring it was a bit of a challenge due to the terminal block issue, but being that I'm using 72 cell "string" modules, the wire size, #12 XHHW, is manageable. I see that they've announced a new, larger enclosure with an additional terminal block in it, which should help a bit. The buttons do take bit of getting used to, but once one gets the hang of them they're not so bad, and this is coming from the king of the fat-fingered. The display can be difficult to read without turning the backlight on, but one push of a button takes care of that. It's still not as good as others with LED or larger LCD readouts, but again it's an all-in-one unit. I hear you on the weight, the aluminum casting is, shall we say, "robust" (and I think indestructible) at the very least.

The one thing that I do wish Midnite Solar would change is the physical size of the battery temperature sensor. My installation would have been easier if the thing was made to slide through a 1/2" conduit, or at least through a 1/2" locknut.

Tom
Old 03-24-2016, 05:50 PM   #11

I have a Flexmax 60 controller that came with my rig it currently only has 4 100W panels feeding it i believe strung in series because my input voltage is usually in the upper 30's or just over 40 last time i checked in the daytime. I get 70-80Ah in a day in north dakota into a 12V AGM/LA bank ( i know not a excellent idea to mix battery types, but its already integrated into the RV systems to top off the house battery and cab battery, as well as run the DC portion of the rig.)

I only get 3-4 hours at best for peak sun and it does well even when the panels are only putting out for example 20V 1A~ collectively at the end of the day it will convert that right down to 13V 1.6A~ just about until dusk.

MudiGGer25 is offline   Reply With Quote