RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Back again

funnnyfarm here it’s been a while since I was on the forum. I put solar on my motorhome, with 2 T100 Trojan golf battery’s. I am storing the motorhome for 5 to 6 mouth. Is there a special was to store solar system? Thank you funnnyfarm
funnnyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #2

I have four 100 W solar panels on my slide in truck camper and I store it for the winter in Denver Colorado. The solar panels will be fine, at least mine have always been okay. But I would recommend removing the batteries and keeping them on a trickle charger if storing your motorhome in a cold place.

I had two Trojan golf cart batteries destroyed when my solar panels got covered with snow for a while, the batteries weren't being charged because the solar panels weren't working, phantom loads in the camper drained the batteries so after it got really cold they froze and the cases broke.

But ignore all that If you live in a warm place and you have a way of keeping the batteries watered then everything should be fine.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 11:39 PM   #3

Possibly Trojan T105's?

-If outside storage with Sun. Top off the water, add a dash of mineral oil, and let the solar handle the maintenance.
-If outside, or snow covered area of storage. Turn off the controller. If you can, pull the batteries and bring them with you and maintain via a Battery Tender or Battery Minder like device. If not possible. Then full charge them. And disconnect the Negative cable. (That is a long period of time. And Wet Cells (T-105's), will not enjoy that long of a period. AGM's will handle that period better, due to lower discharge rates, but also not like it too much.)

If it is the later, and inside. Can you possibly visit every two months and bring a generator to charge the batteries? Even it not topping off (ALWAYS PREFERRED), some charge is better the no charge.)

When brought of storage, if not maintained via solar. Bring the batteries back to full charge. Do a Load Test, and if they seem diminished. Fully charge them again, and do a Equalizing Run. (Over the years, this will reduce total life on the batteries. But, will hopefully get them back to closer to normal levels...)

And I will follow, as I may not fully understood your concern!

Best to you and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote