RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:36 AM   #1

BatteryPro, Reed, CountrFit, Vsheetz, Twinboat, Jackfish, others

Just a shout out to some (And guys, I know I could not put all of the names of the heavy helpers of Going Green section. No slight intended if I missed a heavy contributor!!) of the gang that so freely share their knowledge.

Many of you have spent a great deal of time helping us that are still in the rookie phase of all things solar, batteries (Wet/AGM/Lithium), charging, monitors, inverters, cabling, etc., etc.

Lots of time, very good safety precautions are also noted.

I want to personally thank you all, as I have learned a great deal from reading many of your postings.

Salute to all, may the 'Force' (Sun Power!) be with you,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #2

Irv2 is an interesting forum. There seem to be no big egos, just folks trying to be helpful.
Reed and Elaine

Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #3

Smitty, we are in Tucson till the 31st, Rodeo, NM Feb and Mar, will be in San Diego on 2-13 to see Keiko Matsui at Humphreys Backstage Live. Hope all is well with you and yours.

Agreed, great help from many here.
Plenty of solar capacity and plenty of sun means not paying for RV park kilowatt hours.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:20 PM   #4
Community Moderator

hi smitty, thank you for the words... we are all blessed having this common place to talk about things on rv and for people who enjoy rving. i personally have been helped by many in this site, from day one of my rv life up to now, and pretty sure for many years to come. needless to say, you are among many who contributed the most in many ways and many areas.

best wishes to all, happy trails!!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I used all of the guys during the research of my system, much thanks.
twohsieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:07 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the thanks!

This is a great forum with a huge amount of tribal knowledge so readily shared by so many.

Vince
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

Decided to take a back road from Valladolid to Izamal (Yucatan). Got the place we planned to spend 3 nights.
1. The Swiss host noticed our brand new Michellin spare tire was hanging down. Hoisted it back up and put a tie-down strap across just to be sure.
2. Elaine noticed that one of the 235 W panels was now lying atop another. We had hit a branch which tore it loose. The wiring had pulled apart but it went right back together. The panel had removed the black and grey water standpipes, the TV antenna (we never watch TV - just DVDs) and demolishd the skylight vent.O'well.

Have some huge screws, and so redrilled some holes, put the screws in to align (had to drill two new holes since the braces could only be bent back so much), and will take them out and use Gorilla Glue to make sure they stick. Then may put a tie-down strap across the front of the panel and around the front overhang of the 5th wheel. We still have 1600 miles of good to exctible Mexican roads to go before we get back to US. We are still getting full power from the 1400 W array (max of 1000 W with some light cloud cover today).

Do not travel without:
Tie-down straps (a lot)
Gorilla Tape
Gorilla Glue
cable ties
bungie cords
Reed and Elaine
Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #8

Reed - Sorry to hear you had an opportunity for on the road repairs!

If you search in this Green Forum section of the pics on our roof rack mounted solar panels. You'll see some shots of the angled piece of sheet metal we had installed on the leading and rear (backing up can snag a tree limb too!). Perhaps you can find a location on your travels to have one fabricated for you too. (Nothing fancy, and we just glued it down with 3M 5200 (may have been 9200) epoxy.) I've had one occasion where I just could not get around a tight corner with out a bit of limb dragging in the apex of a turn. Had the DW spot us as we went buy, and sure enough, the limb road slowly up an onto the panels. (NOT heavy branches, or I would have unhooked the toad and backed out. These did not even surface scratch the paints clear coat on the curved edge of the roof.)

Just thought that was a good tip to share, as these can be added to flatter roof mounted leading edges too. And inexpensive piece of sheet metal...

Best,
Smitty
Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #9

Smitty77

Thanks for the ideas. Sheet metal sounds like a simple solution. It looks as if the branch that pulled off our front right panel (235 W) just rode along the edge of the roof. Can still see leaves and branches in the second panel (checked all the panels today and they are solid). Elaine and I are sitting in the shade in Izamal and I just brought up your idea and she likes it a lot so we shall do it when we get to son Cary's place in mountains near Las Vegas, New Mexico.

The place we are staying, Hacienda Santo Domingo, is well known to the Overlanders. Checked it out on Ioverlander.com and a lot of folks headed to or from Chile/Argentina stay here. There were three German couples doing such two days ago (they were not together) and another showed up yesterday. Three of them will be leaving their rigs here for the summer. Birding is excellent and we saw what we thought was the endemic Mexican Sheartail (hummingbird found only in northern Yucatan). Saw them again today and made positive identification.

Head to Campeche tomorrow for one night and then to Isla Aguada on the Gulf of Mexico the day after - and then head for home pretty much straight shot but maybe a few days rest in San Miguel del Allende. Turning 76 this year and we need a few more break days than previous years.
Reed and Elaine

Tags
battery