Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #1

BMK Shunt

Looking for a little expertise.

I recently installed in my motorhome a Victron SmartSolar 100/50 to control my 1 X 260 W solar panel (will be installing another 260 W panel in very near future) that feeds into 4 AGM 6 volt batteries. I currently use a Magnum BMK and Magnum ME-RC remote to monitor the batteries which works OK but I’ve been thinking about installing a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, so you solar experts out there can I replace the Magnum’s shunt with the Victron’s and then wire the Magnum BMK up to the Victron shunt?

Thanks for your expertise.

Graeme Arnott
07 Country Coach Allure 430
Triboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #2

If both shunts are the same size I don't see a reason why the BMK couldn't be wired across the Victron Shunt.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #3

The manuals for both products indicate they use the same 500A/50mV shunt, so it should work either way.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the input guys, it makes the decision a little easier now.

Graeme Arnott
Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #5

Be sure the Victron sense wire set to the kelvin screws is twisted well, like the Magnum wire is. This will prevent errors.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #6

Thanks I'll keep that in mind when I do the install.

Graeme Arnott
Old 02-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
use 1 shunt for both units.
I have Magnum and Midnite. Used the same shunt but use the modules for each Controller. Measuring mV, is still measuring mV for each until. It was nice to see how closely they measured together.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the input gatorcq, good to hear that they produced similar results. I’m seeing some close battery voltage numbers as well with the Magnum and the Victron iPhone app, the results are within .05 volts. The other info from the solar panel to the controller and to the batteries is, for me, very interesting, this is my first attempt at solar and it’s quite intriguing (see iPhone screen shot)

The Victron app is apparently capable of displaying battery output (cutoff from the screen shot below) but I suspect that until I install the Victron shunt the output won’t be shown.

Although I did think about trying to wire the controller to the Magnum shunt rather than the negative side of the battery as per what the Victron controller manual states. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

And one more question, the Magnum remote is not showing any increase of DC amps when the panel is producing juice. Does anyone know if the Magnum is capable of showing this?

Other than the problems I’m having with the controller’s bluetooth range and connecting issues with my iPhone (next little problem) it’s an impressive little pairing, but I think I’d still like to have the display monitor hardwired and located in the same location as my other controls rather than dragging out a phone or tablet.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Graeme Arnott

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2596.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	191659
Old 02-14-2018, 05:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triboy View Post

And one more question, the Magnum remote is not showing any increase of DC amps when the panel is producing juice. Does anyone know if the Magnum is capable of showing this?
The Victron display will show the Volts and Amps leaving the charge controller.

The Magnum display will show the Volts and amps measured at the shunt and actually going in or out of the Battery Bank.

The difference can be...when the current is flowing toward the shunt from the charge controller, it can make a detour and head for Your Inverter or the RV’s DC loads...and not make the journey thru the shunt. So if thirty amps are leaving the charge controller...but only twenty are going into the batteries...you must be using 10 amps for other things...
Old 02-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #10

My Magnum remote wasn’t showing any input from the Victron controller so I tried changing the cable from the house battery (-) to the Magnum shunt and now I’m seeing input on the Magnum remote and so far so good with no effect to the controller..

I'd still like to put the Victron Bluetooth battery monitor in but price up here in Canada for the kit is outrageously expensive, so it will have to wait until we pass by AM Solar in Oregon in the spring.

Graeme Arnott
07 Country Coach Allure #31500
Old 02-17-2018, 06:12 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triboy View Post
My Magnum remote wasn’t showing any input from the Victron controller so I tried changing the cable from the house battery (-) to the Magnum shunt and now I’m seeing input on the Magnum remote and so far so good with no effect to the controller..

I'd still like to put the Victron Bluetooth battery monitor in but price up here in Canada for the kit is outrageously expensive, so it will have to wait until we pass by AM Solar in Oregon in the spring.

Graeme Arnott
07 Country Coach Allure #31500
Graeme,

When you reconnected the ground...was your Magnum BMK in Learning mode for a long time? If so...you might compare amps reported by the BMK meters display to those obtained using a dc clampmeter on the battery ground lead...

The network devices can be damaged if you remove the negative lead from the Inverter before disconnecting the positive lead to the Inverter... If you pulled the Inverter positive lead first...then no worries.

There is a caution in the Magnum manuals which state that the Inverter can try to find an alternative ground thru the sensitive network devices and damage them.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 PM   #12

Fortunately I didn’t run into any issues. I switched off the house battery cutoff before making any disconnects, then disconnected the negative on the house, didn't touch the inverter wire from the load side of the shunt. Disconnected the Victron from the house negative and installed it on the battery side of the shunt. Turned things back on and all was well, Magnum started showing some DC from the solar panel, which I wasn’t seeing previously. We’re currently on a 4 day trip right now and no problems while running on house batteries to our destination and now plugged into 50amp service and all things still good.

Thanks for the heads up I’ll do a little more reading next time before I play with things.

Graeme Arnott
07 Allure 430 #31500
Old 04-08-2018, 01:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I’m about to do the same thing.

I wanted to add battery temperature for SmartSolar voltage compensation.

I’m trying to make sure that if I add the Victron Shunt...piggyback my ME-BMK sense module...that both will give accurate SOC readings... and then adding the temperature sense to the BMV-712... finally adding a VE.Direct cable between the BMV-712 round display and the MPPT150/100 Charge Controller for temperature and voltage data sharing.

I wanted to add the Smart Battery Sense...but my charge controller is one that is not compatible with the VE.Smart wireless networking scheme.

If you’ve completed your addition...please share your comments. i’d Love to know how it’s working out.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #14

Apologize for the late response just returned from a vacation in East Africa, will hopefully get the BMV-712 from AMSolar within the next week.

Graeme Arnott