Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2022, 11:05 PM   #15

I forgot to mention I and others were able to open our inverters and find replaceable fuses. Even if sticker says no owner serviceable parts inside. Mine was ATC fuse soldered. It took me longer to spot it hidden behind parts and wires than to remote to outside. Others were old glass car fuses .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
The new dual 50 amp pass through inverters just go between ats and and the feed wires to CB panel. If you lucky The CB wires will easily reach where you can mount it. The old CB and wiring to old inverter you can run to new outlet if you wanted to, or abandon.
Don't forget control panel cost , probably sealtight & fittings wire from ATS to inv. and larger 12v cables. Victron offers a few variations of controllers and cool add-ons.
You can find very good vids for Magnum and Victron the tie in will be basically the same. Follow the link on the popular Victron vid you find for pictagrams.
This is how I have my MultiplusII connected, but that is not how all of them are connected. Some RVs have 2 in and 2 out that feed 2 separate sub panels, so the new 2 in/2out inverters can be used with the existing wiring. My suspicions are that is how the OPs coach is wired
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:54 PM   #17

OK so I was confused on the wiring. I've got (1) AC-IN and (2) AC-OUTs. What does that mean and can I use an inverter with only 1 output?

As far as I can tell it goes from shore power through the ATS, then into my CB and then out to the inverter.
Old 02-17-2022, 03:22 PM   #18

After looking at the Multiplus 3000 manual you have a single phase in and a single phase out, i.e. Line, Neutral and ground and only a single output with the same 3 wires.

With a MultiplusII you would have a split phase input, L1,L2, neutral and ground going in, and the same outputs going to 2 outputs, output 1 and output 2. The output2 is designed for things you don't want the Inverter to run off, so is only powered when you have an AC input (shore or generator) active.

I have no idea what the 2 outputs from your current inverter do, you may want to see if you can find the manual hard copy or online to understand.

If you want to power power both of your AC wires with the Multiplus output you will need to feed the inverter output into some kind of 3:1 electrical junction.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #19

Haven't receive the victron, yet so I'm describing how the current inverter/charger is wired. Have had zero luck finding a correct manual for a Trace Engineering 1512 Legend Series I.

I do see a couple of Xantrex Freedom 2000s recently listed on eBay for a LOT cheaper so if I can go that route I'd love to do it!
Old 02-17-2022, 04:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
I forgot to mention I and others were able to open our inverters and find replaceable fuses. Even if sticker says no owner serviceable parts inside. Mine was ATC fuse soldered. It took me longer to spot it hidden behind parts and wires than to remote to outside. Others were old glass car fuses .
It's been below zero for a few days but I do intend to pull it and see if anything I can do. Oddly enough the charger was working today but not sure how much (if any) power it was outputting. My BMS indicated only 2A coming in.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fffrank View Post
Haven't receive the victron, yet so I'm describing how the current inverter/charger is wired. Have had zero luck finding a correct manual for a Trace Engineering 1512 Legend Series I.

I do see a couple of Xantrex Freedom 2000s recently listed on eBay for a LOT cheaper so if I can go that route I'd love to do it!

What you could do is disconnect those outputs separately and notice what looses power, both in inverter mode and on shore power.
Old 03-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #22

I'm at a bit of a loss here. I bought a used Xantrex XC2000 from eBay. Seller said it had been in a wreck but was a new unit and only had a few scratches on it. It shows up and it's a little more worse for wear than described (and had a mfg date of 2010) but who am I to judge.

Spent a few hours wiring it and mounting it -- flip it on and guess what? One of the fans is broken and rattling around like crazy. Puts it right into error mode.

Pull the fan out and epoxy it back together. There's not one available domestically and China is a few weeks out for shipping. Still, no big deal. Get the fan back in and now the error code comes and goes but the unit only recognizes 7.6v on the battery side. And refuses to charge (it's supposed to be able to revive a dead battery but isn't even detecting it's connected.)

Alright so this sucks -- Now I'm convinced my original charger must still be good and my real issue is with batteries. Sure enough, they're low on water and this might explain why solar hadn't been keeping up over the winter..... right?

Top them up with water and still 7.6v on the inverter screen and this is where I learned a lesson (of some kind.) Use the multi-meter first. Sure enough -- batteries are reading 12.7 and stand-alone charger cranks them up to a real charging stage after a few minutes. Inverter still only displaying 7.6v.

Is it really conceivable that I bought a bad inverter?! Or is there some explanation for this?
Old 03-31-2022, 03:06 PM   #23

Quote:

Is it really conceivable that I bought a bad inverter?! Or is there some explanation for this?
I have to laugh. Earlier in the thread you claimed you learned to do it right the first time and had ordered a Victron Multiplus, yet you purchased a 12 year old inverter that you are having problems with and may be useless.

You checked the voltage at the batteries. You should also check the voltage of the 12v leads at the inverter. If those read over 12v then obviously your inverter voltage display is wrong. If it reads close to what the inverter is displaying then you need to figure out where that voltage is being lost.

If the inverter was not as advertised you should have returned it instead of trying to repair it, but I'm guessing it's now way too late to return it.
Old 03-31-2022, 06:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
I have to laugh.
I apologize, I for some reason thought your post was recent. Given how long since your post my post is unlikely to be helpful. I couldn't figure out how to modify or delete it.

Hopefully you got everything figured out.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
Hopefully you got everything figured out.
It's been a wild ride. First inverter was dead/broken. Seller sent a replacement. This one worked but I realized it was an X2000 and not an XC2000.

The difference? The X does not have a charger included so will not work at all. So I bought a different used XC2000 and guess what? Arrived broken.

So I'm waiting for a brand new one to be delivered now.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:00 AM   #26

Quote:
It's been a wild ride. First inverter was dead/broken. Seller sent a replacement. This one worked but I realized it was an X2000 and not an XC2000.

The difference? The X does not have a charger included so will not work at all. So I bought a different used XC2000 and guess what? Arrived broken.

So I'm waiting for a brand new one to be delivered now.
Ouch, that all sounds very frustrating.

Tags
charger, inverter