Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
There are several features that Victron offers that Magnum doesn't (ESS, DVCC, VRM, etc), that are compelling reasons for a lot of users to spend the extra money.

You and I discussed some of these in depth on one of the FB solar forums several months ago, so I know you're aware of them.

If the additional features don't justify the costs, or footprint in your case, you are free to buy whatever fits your budget and location.
Well, we don't know what ESS, DVCC, VRM is
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #44

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Well, we don't know what ESS, DVCC, VRM is

They're things that don't make this an apples to apples comparison, as you already know from previous conversations.

For those of you who don't know:

ESS is a technology that allows you to load share and prioritize certain energy sources over others, in a nutshell. You can use it to prioritize solar and say, the top 40% of your battery bank before using shore power to support your loads. This is especially useful if you are over wintering at a FHU site that has metered electricity, and want to use electric heat.

DVCC is an advanced battery management algorithm that integrates of all your charging devices - charge controllers, inverter/chargers, etc, and your BMV so that they work together rather than act as ad-hoc devices.

VRM is a portal that collects data from GX devices and provides real-time and historic reporting of collection, utilization, and all sorts of other metrics.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #45

Magnum does load sharing. Magnum will work on 30 amp and pull what else it needs from battery. All the bluetooth stuff a lot of us will never use.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 09-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #46

Quote:
Magnum does load sharing. Magnum will work on 30 amp and pull what else it needs from battery. All the bluetooth stuff a lot of us will never use.
ESS is not basic load sharing like Magnum Load Support. That is a different - Victron calls that capability PowerAssist.

PowerAssist is just a small part of what ESS does.

None of the three features I mentioned use Bluetooth.

For anyone interested, you can see some demos of VRM at https://acceptancevrm.victronenergy.com/
Old 09-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #47

And I see no value in all this. Once I get it working, I will not be monitoring it. Got others things to do, like have fun.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #48

Quote:
And I see no value in all this. Once I get it working, I will not be monitoring it. Got others things to do, like have fun.

To each their own. The metrics here are very useful for predicting and comparing utilization, troubleshooting, etc. You don't need to use them often but will run across times where you will wish you had them.

Again, if the features aren't important to you, buy something else. Like the Xantrex XW6848 or Magnum inverters you're always pitching - but never buying.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0arp View Post
To each their own. The metrics here are very useful for predicting and comparing utilization, troubleshooting, etc. You don't need to use them often but will run across times where you will wish you had them.

Again, if the features aren't important to you, buy something else. Like the Xantrex XW6848 or Magnum inverters you're always pitching - but never buying. Until you have some real world experience with any of these, I don't see why I should place any value on what you see value in.
Seeing as your attack about me never buying I need to explain. Got all this started and virus lockdown hit. I have not worked since. So I had to put all this on hold. But I have have plenty of time to research. Victron makes some nice equipment but most people will never use in an rv. Simpler it is the best.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #50

Quote:
Seeing as your attack about me never buying I need to explain. Got all this started and virus lockdown hit. I have not worked since. So I had to put all this on hold. But I have have plenty of time to research. Victron makes some nice equipment but most people will never use in an rv. Simpler it is the best.
I was insinuating that you get on forums and claim to be an expert on all of these things when you have no practical first-hand experience with any of them, and are argumentative when people call you out on your false and/or incorrect claims.

I'm sorry that you are out of work - hopefully you find something soon.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:03 AM   #51

Alpine Owners Club
See comments in Bold below.

All of our equipment is VIctron including the Cerbo and GX Panel which allows us to monitor our system in total even when away from our coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post

Battery Bank: 12VDC LiFeP04 batteries in a 24VDC configuration. Number of batteries will depend on results of electrical usage survey.

This is what we did, currently have 10.6 Kw, may go to 13.3Kw

HVAC: Taking a very serious look at a two-zone 18-24K BTU minisplit with a small Indoor unit in the bedroom and a larger Indoor unit in the center of the coach facing forward. That still leaves the bathroom (the floor plan is a side hallway with a completely closed bathroom; not a walk-through bath). The Outdoor unit would go in one of the basement bays; possibly the one where the current gas furnaces live. There are 120VAC mini-splits, but they have smaller BTU's and that would require two complete installations for the coach. The larger Outdoor units require 240VAC.

Finding locations for the Indoor Units is a bit of a challenge. Since I am removing/redesigning/replacing most of the cabinetry, etc. anyway, I can redesign as needed. The installation manuals for some of the Indoor Units are helpful. Online youtube installation videos seem to be helpful as well. (What did we ever do before the Internet? )

I recommend you take a look at the LG dual zone system with the "Wall Art" units. We plan to use these and this will allow us to do so with no cabinet modifications. We'll use the 9K unit in the Bedroom and a 12K unit in the main living area.

240VAC: This is needed for the above mini-split. Victron apparently makes an inverter/charger model so that two of them can be connected to supply 240VAC.

This is how we have our system set-up. I wired the units into the main panel and powered all circuits, moved the circuits from the inverter subpanel into main panel and replaced it with a small 240V subpanel and ran wiring to future location of Outdoor mini-split unit in the basement

The existing generator will provide 120VAC to the two inverter/chargers.

Shore Power will provide 120VAC to the two inverter/chargers.

Yup....this is exactly how this works, either provides 140A (@24V) charging plus whatever our solar puts out

Victron apparently makes a unit that will convert 24VDC to 12VDC so I can power all of the 12VDC house items: water pump, lighting, etc.

We have (2) 24-12/70A orion converters that power the 12V bus and are able to handle all 12V loads including the leveling system that is rated at 125A

I am considering NOT connecting the main engine alternator output to the House system. In fact, I think I want to completely separate the Chassis and House systems at all times. The only time I may need to connect them is if the Chassis batteries die and I need to start the main engine. Others have said a temporary connection with Jumper Cables will do the trick until Emergency Repairs can be completed.

We added (2) 24-12/15A DC-DC smart chargers that run from our oversized 240A alternator and these are providing ~40A in real world application, this along with our 1600W of solar allows one rooftop AC unit to run while we are driving and most importantly still send approx 10-15A to the house batteries, with good sun

Solar will provide some high voltage power to one or more MPPT controllers to charge the batteries. Not sure where they are connected yet, but will learn that once I start the electrical schematics.

We have a 150/100 MPPT and since converting to 24V it rarely puts out more than 50 - 55A so the long term plan is to up the Solar to around 3K, which will be doable wen I remove the rooftop AC units

Please feel free to PM me if you want more info

2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
See comments in Bold below.

All of our equipment is VIctron including the Cerbo and GX Panel which allows us to monitor our system in total even when away from our coach
Don't see how one can use the wall mount units. Most rvs don't have a wall one can even hang a picture on. You must but most don't.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #53

Quote:
don't see how one can use the wall mount units. Most rvs don't have a wall one can even hang a picture on. You must but most don't.
Click image for larger version

Name:	47B2114B-EDCF-48CB-A21A-C2F88A58BBEA.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	301779Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	301780

Every rig is different, but we had no problem finding locations for our two indoor units. At least with larger fivers, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Class A rigs like paul65k's might be more difficult. Fujitsu, I believe, makes some floor mounted units that look interesting for such applications.

Edit - like https://www.fujitsugeneral.com/us/pr...ies/index.html
Old 09-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Don't see how one can use the wall mount units. Most rvs don't have a wall one can even hang a picture on. You must but most don't.
2 ways,
  1. In my case I had wall space in the hallway next to the equipment closet
  2. I plan to move it to the location of the original Xantrex control panel which is no longer in use
Old 09-21-2020, 12:29 PM   #55

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
We'll be using these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dual Zone LG.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	301785  
Old 09-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #56

I have mini splits. But a 24X24 would not fit anywhere in mine. The standard wall mount did. Bedroom had to put a cassette.

Tags
diesel, electric