Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #1

Cummins batteries

I can get Cummins batteries wholesale from my son who works there. Anyone ever use them?
BCI Group Size:4D
Battery Volts:12V
Cranking Amps1250
Cold Cranking Amps:1000
Reserve Capacity in Minutes:300
Free Replacement Warranty:

Dimensions (in.): L x W x H
20 3/4 x 8 3/4 x 9 7/8
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

A lot of cold cranking amps is a ‘good thing’ and 1000 is right up there with the best!
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the price is right, buy them. Only a couple few battery makers.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:26 AM   #4

Great for starting the Diesel engine, not so great for “ house “ batteries.
Tdansby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #5

I've no experience with Cummins batteries. I did have X's 1 8D Starter Battery from CAT. It was Maintenance Free, and every few months I'd pretend to put water in it... (Really was almost completely maintenance free, with very little signs of occasionally outgassing.) 1500CCA was plenty to spin our Cummins ISL into life... I had about three times in the batteries 5 1/2 years of usage, where I had either made a mistake, and or had other equipment failures, and really ran that batter down low. So low, I had to use an independent old school 'non smart' battery charger to get it up high enough voltage for the coaches MS2812 to kick into supporting it again. One specific time, it was down so low for over 10 days, before I discovered I'd made a mistake!

I mention this, because this CAT battery did survive these times of abuse rather well, I have no doubt that I shortened it's life by these circumstances. I elected to replace it at the same time I added some other electric components in the battery bay, and closed off the battery bay from the bottom to protect the electronics from road dust and moisture tossed up from the rear wheels. (Went with a Lifeline 8D starter battery, along with my X's 4 L16's Lifelines for the House duty.) My BIL took the CAT 8d at about 5 1/2 years of life, and placed it in his boat for 12V supply, now at age 7 1/2 - still powers his bait tank, bilge, other electric gear off of this non true Deep Cycle starter battery. Yep, light duty for sure, but shows how well the manufacture (Whomever CAT subs this out to...) built this Starter Battery. If outgassing is not an issue, I can fully recommend the CAT 8D Starter battery to anyone in search of a unit!)

And I always enjoyed the CAT battery, starting my Cummins engine!

So OP, if Cummins has the same standards on purchasing of equipment with it's name on it - the 4D batteries they sell should hopefully be of like quality... If the price is right, hard not to like a deal!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

The price is $185 on their site.
tundranurse1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, cummins