Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #1

Did I blow a fuse?

My 2020 Nash 23D came "solar ready" and has a 20w panel connected to a 10A Zamp PWM solar charge controller. I purchased a 30A MPPT SCC and a 200w panel. Because space is at a premium in the pass-through storage, I want to install the new SCC in the same place as the old (inside the living space).

I disconnected the Pv + and - leads off the old SCC and checked polarity and tagged. I then disconnected the Batt + and - leads, checked polarity and voltage, and tagged.

Several days passed before I could install the new controller and now I no longer have any voltage on the battery leads. Did I blow a fuse and, if so, where would it be located? I have good voltage at the battery. I know there is an access panel through the choroplast behind the trailer tongue. Would there be a fuse in there?

Thanks for any any direction you can provide.
Splat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #2

Check on/under tongue for a small DC Circuit Breaker
Battery POS Cable goe to/from that CB before going Inside the trailer to DC panel etc

Could have tripped...small reset button on the side of box

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:33 PM   #3

I'll check this out after work tonight. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2021, 08:33 PM   #4

My 2017 Artic Fox 22G had a fuse on the positive lead near the battery for the prewired 10 amp ZAMP controller. The fuse holder was about a foot from the positive terminal and looked like this.

There were two fused leads. One went to the Zamp controller. The other went to the ZAMP connection on the driver side near the front for a portable Zamp panel with integrated controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FuseHolder.png
Views:	7
Size:	485.3 KB
ID:	327189  
Old 05-04-2021, 02:29 PM   #5

This is what I saw last night once I removed the access panel. It looks like there are 2 DC circuit breakers in the compartment. Unfortunately I didn't look for the reset button. I'll do that tonight. If there isn't a reset button on it, how do you reset it?

astrocamper, I didn't see any fuses on the + side, other than the one I installed for the battery monitor shunt.

Thank you both!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	428.6 KB
ID:	327246  
Old 05-04-2021, 02:44 PM   #6

Might be a Bussman Short Stop Trip and Hold Circuit Breaker, in which case I'll need to disconnect the battery side to reset it.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

They can be either:
Auto Reset
Manual reset via small button
Auto Reset when DC is cycled

You have THREE in there
Looks like MAIN (large Red Cables) and that one feeds 2 others via small gauge wires

Verify you have DC+ on Both Studs of ALL three
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #8

astrocamper WAS right! I had good 12+ on both studs of all 3 CB's. That left me scratching my head. As I was laying underneath the camper, thinking about what I had done to t-shoot up to that point, I saw that the + 8 AWG didn't go to the wiring space underneath but towards the + side of the battery. Neatly tucked in the space between the battery and the box were 2 20A fuses like astrocamper described.

What got me was the 2 smaller gauge green fuse pigtail wires spliced onto the 8 AWG wire. I'm surprised that they would do this. Wouldn't this be a "choke point"?

Anyway, thanks all for your help!
Old 05-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Check on/under tongue for a small DC Circuit Breaker
Battery POS Cable goe to/from that CB before going Inside the trailer to DC panel etc

Could have tripped...small reset button on the side of box

Keep this 12V breaker in mind for future reference. Learning about this cured my power issue shortly after buying my TT. A simple press of the tiny button and all my 12V came back.
Coincidentally, on my 1st spring camp a few weeks ago, the same trouble occurred. I immediately went to this breaker, but found it was OK. On a hunch, I checked the nut that connects all the cables on the stud and found that it was loose. I didn't have a wrench with me so I finger tightened it (it was blowing rain and sleet at the time) and once again my 12V power was restored.

When I got the rig home I tightened both nuts. I also found that some other nuts, the ones that hold the trailer box to the frame, were loose. I went around a tightened all of those, too. I suspect towing miles from the nearest pavement shakes these things loose, and I've learned to check fasteners more frequently.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat32 View Post
astrocamper WAS right! I had good 12+ on both studs of all 3 CB's. That left me scratching my head. As I was laying underneath the camper, thinking about what I had done to t-shoot up to that point, I saw that the + 8 AWG didn't go to the wiring space underneath but towards the + side of the battery. Neatly tucked in the space between the battery and the box were 2 20A fuses like astrocamper described.

What got me was the 2 smaller gauge green fuse pigtail wires spliced onto the 8 AWG wire. I'm surprised that they would do this. Wouldn't this be a "choke point"?

Anyway, thanks all for your help!
The length of 10 or 12 AWG wire for the fuse pigtail is so short that the voltage drop isn't a big deal. Glad you found the source of your problem.

Tags
fuse