Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Fantastic New Solar System Doesn't Need Direct Sunlight!

So, I walked out of the house a little while ago to discover that our neighbor was getting a solar system installed on the house. I thought, Good for them!! Then I noticed that the installers were working on what I thought was the wrong side of the house. When I came home, I checked a compass, then Google Maps, and sure enough they appear to be installing a fairly large array on the North-Northeast facing roof! What the heck?!?

Apparently, Solarcity has found a new hyper efficient solar panel that doesn't need direct sunlight! What a breakthrough!!!

I'm totally puzzled, I am not a solar expert, but I do understand that direct sunlight is a major key to a good installation. Our neighbor has a great Southeast exposure on the roof, no trees in the way. Maybe they will continue installing the rest of the array on the other side. I don't know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't early morning the best time for solar with cooler temps=higher voltage and more electricity? Or has Solar city gone off their engineering rocker.

Tom
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Solar City likely has a plan. I expect you will see additional panels appear on the southerly facing roof. Or perhaps the owner does not want them there for esthetic reasons and will compensate with additional panels.

I have 28 panels on my roof. Just 3 degrees off due south facing. Works great.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #3

That should have been the panels are facing North-NorthWEST, oops. Plus, Forgot to add that there are 75 foot redwood trees right next to the west side of the house. Plenty shade for the house, but for solar?

Both sides are perpendicular to the road, so can be seen equally from the front of the house.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

It would my guess that some installer is not quite certain of the concept.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #5

It is similar to the discussion where you say you have solar on your 5th wheel and they ask "on the roof?" and you want to answer "no, under the floor and it does not work very well!", but I don't

I guess they could be referring to movable panels that you unpack and place next to your rig.

Reed and Elaine
Old 11-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
And the rest of the story????

LEN
Old 11-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #7

Ok, so they completed the install last week, Solar City put another array on the opposite facing roof, so facing South-Southeast, which makes far more sense. But it appears to be at least 5 panels smaller than the array facing NNW. There is an equal amount of roof area on both, about the same number of roof penetrations, but only covering about half the available roof area on both. Still a mystery to me
Old 11-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why don't you go ask your neighbor about his installation and report back?
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Home solar systems are designed to accommodate the installation site. The panels can be placed pretty much on any side of a roof (except inside!) with additional panels installed to compensate for less than optimal site characteristics.

We have 8 kW worth of panels on an east facing roof slope. Works great - electric bills are $0.00 plus we get small checks from the local electric utility every month.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
South facing is not necessarily a hard rule. For example, coastal areas that commonly have morning overcast condition that clear towards mid day can benefit from westerly facing panels.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #11

Western facing and eastern facing can be quite effective as vesheetz noted above but northern facing really should not be effective in the northern hemisphere.
Reed and Elaine
Old 12-01-2014, 09:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennb100 View Post

We have 8 kW worth of panels on an east facing roof slope. Works great - electric bills are $0.00 plus we get small checks from the local electric utility every month.
Have you checked out replacement cost for the grid-tie-in inverter yet? Life span of the unit is about 5-6 years and the cost might be born by you alone if you want to maintain your grid tie-in.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Our inverter (Sunpower) has a 10 year warranty - so the manufacturer expects it to last at least this long
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOR View Post
Have you checked out replacement cost for the grid-tie-in inverter yet? Life span of the unit is about 5-6 years and the cost might be born by you alone if you want to maintain your grid tie-in.
First I have seen this short a lifespan commented. can you share the source? Usually stated grid tie inverter lifetime I have encountered is 15-20 years.

Tags
fan, solar