Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Federal Tax Credit for Solar install on a Class A or other?

So I had Solar installed on our new house then end of last year when we moved in an received our 30% Federal Tax Credit and as I've been reading for sometime bout installing Solar on Class A's, C's, 5rers etc... and it got me thinking did all you that either had it installed or bought the solar systems and install them yourselves take this credit? I know this year it drops to 26% then 22% then is schedule to expire if not renewed by the Federal Govt.. Using your rig basically qualifies as a 2nd home as long as it has a bathroom so even the loan qualifies for deduction if your income meets the new guidelines. Sorry I digress, but back to the question does everyone take this when they've installed it? I think it does but before I embark on this endeavor I figured I'd ask the forum. If it does then instead of me installing it which would stress my DW out b/c I'd be on the roof a lot, I'd take that savings and have someone install it then.
Thanks all for responding. it will be interesting to hear from folks.
dmctlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2020, 11:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I took the Federal 30% tax credit for the Option's cost and the upgrades I made to the system on my 1040. It was two years ago, but I had no problems and kept my receipts. The factory Option on my unit was for 1-100w panel and a solar charge controller. Then I added two new panels to make the system a full 300w.

It was only about $1100 for the whole system, but hey a tax CREDIT is always much better than a tax deduction and got the credit for $330.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:57 PM   #3

As a tax accountant, I have no problem taking my solar system credit on my taxes.
Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #4

Yes I took it. I recall there are some requirements to take the tax credit on an RV.
Check with a tax professional to confirm your own specific situation is my advice.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

I took it in 2017 and install myself. I claimed the cost I paid for the panels, charge controller, and hardware.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've taken the credit on fixed residence and RV. Not a problem.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I was told you have to be able to itemize to take the deduction.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:37 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nope. It's a credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
I was told you have to be able to itemize to take the deduction.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's been a couple of filings ago that I took the credit.

The logic, as I understand it, is that you're allowed the tax credit for your primary residence AND a second home. IF your RV qualifies as a "second home" (and many do), then you're allowed the tax credit for that, as well.

The form for the tax credit does require an address for the second home. I used the street address of the storage facility.

I haven't received any push back from the IRS. Hopefully, that's all good.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-25-2020, 07:32 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
It's been a couple of filings ago that I took the credit.

The logic, as I understand it, is that you're allowed the tax credit for your primary residence AND a second home. IF your RV qualifies as a "second home" (and many do), then you're allowed the tax credit for that, as well.

The form for the tax credit does require an address for the second home. I used the street address of the storage facility.

I haven't received any push back from the IRS. Hopefully, that's all good.

Take care,
Stu
Well thats interesting, now that I recall my house solar did require a street address and since its is stored at my house on my RV pad I'm thinking if I put the same address down for the credit the IRS will refuse it. Has anyone did their house and subsequently their RV or visa versa? I'd be very interested if anyone has done that. Time to look closer at that form and call my CPA to see that answer? Any input would be much appreciated thanks
Old 08-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
Well thats interesting, now that I recall my house solar did require a street address and since its is stored at my house on my RV pad I'm thinking if I put the same address down for the credit the IRS will refuse it.
If it's any comfort to you, there are dozens (likely well more than 100 RV's stored at the facility that I use). It's likely that there's at least one other owner who used the same strategy (use the storage facility street address) making it possible that the IRS could see several tax credits claimed for the same street address.

My thought process was that if the IRS ever questioned me about it, I have what seems to me to be a reasonable explanation. The solar equipment is installed on my coach. I have documentation of the cost of the equipment and installation. The tax credit can be applied on a second home. The coach qualifies as a second home. No fraud.

Not a problem worth spending too much time worrying about.

Take care,
Stu
Old 08-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've not had a problem with same address.
Quote:
Well thats interesting, now that I recall my house solar did require a street address and since its is stored at my house on my RV pad I'm thinking if I put the same address down for the credit the IRS will refuse it. Has anyone did their house and subsequently their RV or visa versa? I'd be very interested if anyone has done that. Time to look closer at that form and call my CPA to see that answer? Any input would be much appreciated thanks
Old 08-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I've not had a problem with same address.
Well thanks everyone I think I'll get some quotes but first need to figure out what size I need to put up there. I'm not planning any boondocking right now but next year another couple and I will be taking off cross country and boondocking may just happen so I'm looking for suggestions on Watt size and even systems and cost.... as I'm writing this response I thought of another question and that's if upgrading to lithium batteries can be including in the rebate...I'm guessing not but I've been raised that only stupid questions are those that aren't asked... Thanks again.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Well thanks everyone I think I'll get some quotes but first need to figure out what size I need to put up there. I'm not planning any boondocking right now but next year another couple and I will be taking off cross country and boondocking may just happen so I'm looking for suggestions on Watt size and even systems and cost.... as I'm writing this response I thought of another question and that's if upgrading to lithium batteries can be including in the rebate...I'm guessing not but I've been raised that only stupid questions are those that aren't asked... Thanks again.

I've researched this a bit. If you design a system that uses solar panels, controllers, BMS, Lithium batteries, charge controller/inverter and other components, all as integral parts of the design, I would feel totally comfortable claiming the entire cost under the rebate.

The question I CAN'T find an answer to, is if I design and purchase all the equipment, but don't complete the install until NEXT year, whether I can claim the rebate on THIS years taxes . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, install, solar