Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #29

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1399737445.934130.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	808.8 KB
ID:	62506 to all those who helped me out with my solar dilemma. End result , 1050 watts of solar panels, Morningstar 60 controller, remote meter, and ran a 6 gauge wire from trailer to batteries, (no voltage drop at all), and all works great. Been boon docking up to 7 days and never start generator . Residential fridge, no problem , even watch tv at night up to 3 hours. Thank you all for your input, hope to meet up with some if you on my travels.
harleylip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
We put 6X100w of PV on the roof (Renogy monocrystalline panels). Five of the panels are wired in parallel to MPPT charge controller to 8X6v coach battery bank. We took the sixth 100w panel (on the end of the array) to a second/smaller MPPT. Output from the second MPPT is switched so that I can stack the charge to the coach batteries, if I need to, or direct it to the 2X12v chassis battery bank. Am really liking the flexibility of this design and the ability to keep the chassis batteries at full SOC when boondocking. \ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVControllersC.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	62509   Click image for larger version

Name:	PVArrayC.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	62510  

Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #31

Harleylip and Bumps - your solar panel arrays look great. We have a 5th wheel and the a/c, sky lights and fans really get in the way of having such orderly arrays.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #32

one thing i forgot to add was your solar panels make shade
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #33

12 volt panels are producing an output voltage of 17 volts and even allowing for line loss there is still 16 volts reaching the controller. I did some calculations for power with the panels tilted and assuming that the panels are perfectly aligned to the sun during the day and you rotate the RV as the sun moves past the possible gain is about 30%. The gain is greatest during the winter months when the sun is positioned lower and very little gain during the summer months or the further south you are located. For my house I picked an angle to maximize the annual output. For my RV I have the panels flat and they provide double what I have ever needed. The house batteries are always back at 100% by noon.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #34

Yep, we have had 5 to 6" of snow shade on the solar panels for 2 1/2 days so far and the solar panels are not doing so well LOL. Snow is melting and will scrape the snow off when I get the pickup back (12' telescoping ladder is in the back)

The batteries are down by 400 amp-hours (at 12 V nominal or about 4.8 kW-hours). Yesterday was Mother's Day and Elaine and daughter-in-law made waffles on two different waffle makers for over an hour on the batteries (it is warmer in the 5th wheel than a house with cooking and catalytic propane heater going). We are trialing the system to see how voltage drop compares to watt-hours used. We are at 52.3 V and the system needs to be turned off or recharged at 49.6V. LFP has a fairly linear drop until about 15% charge is reached. This is why one should never drop below 20% charge without observation.

Having a 22 month old grandson next to one is delightful; however, one finds that touchpad is disabled or wi-fi is turned off and wonder why.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 PM   #35

Sun came out and scraped the snow off the six panels and we were charging at 1430 W (sun was just about overhead) with batteries charging at 25 amps (52V) or about 105 amps at 12V equivalent. Never had such a high rate of charge but had never let it go down to -4800 W-hours (-400 amp-hours at 12 V). Fully charged in 4 hours.

Do need sun for solar.
Reed and Elaine
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #36

WOW ! Really love my solar . In central Utah now and it's cold at night and early morning (32). On solar, with heater running , tv and satellite receiver on 5 hours last night, 2 hours this am, used toaster, coffee maker. It is now 8:54 am and batteries are at full charge already . GO BIG OR GO HOME is what I was told by a few of you readers. I am glad I listened! You guys are great. Went as long as 8 days so far with never starting generator . For those thinking of solar , GO BIG !!!
harleylip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My feeble brain says you need to cram as many 6v batteries in your rig as humanly possible......and than cram a few more in.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 Scooter....
I have very limited space where batteries are now...13x19.5x12 under entry steps but would like to go solar.. Where do you all put "battery banks"? Storage space on my w22 chassis is limited...are you all converting storage space to battery space?
Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jim.....there is a storage compartment close to the entry door that has a slide-out trey and four 6v batteries. We don't have any solar panels on the roof. We used to have an Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper with two 120v panels on the roof and we converted some storage to four 6v batteries. Worked pretty good.

I guess if one wanted to use more storage compartments for more 6v batteries.....
Old 05-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #40

Snotty - in post #15, you mention:
1. Installing limb guards. Could you post a description of these and perhaps photographs. We are always catching branches.

2. You mounted your panels 4" to ameliorate shading from ac and sky lights. I like
The idea. Were there problems with this installation?

Our original TT came with space for two standard 12 v batteries. Son installed four glass mats, inverter etc in the baggage compartment. Moved to a larger 5th wheel and he placed these in "crawl space" behind baggage compartment. The LFP, inverter, controller etc are now in the forward generator compartment since we decided against a large generator. There are a number of dead spaces in most RVs that can be used
Reed and Elsine
Old 06-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #41

Rexhall Owners Group
Made mine portable with stands made from PVC pipe. Park in the shade, solar panels in the sun using a 25 foot power cable. Works great. Panels are protected inside the MH when not in use.

Martin
Old 07-25-2014, 10:19 AM   #42

I have 2 100 watt panels and only get 12.8 volts where did I go wrong
davdamon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar