RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #1

Golf cart and solar

I'm surprised there isn't a solar section or even an electrical section.

So solar panels can produce 12v to more than 48 volts and the solar charge/regulator lowers the voltage down to 12, 24, 36, or 48 volts and some people do 120v and even 600 volts.

I'm looking at the morning star and the latest version says it takes it down to 36 volts. I'm looking at that bc our golf cart is 36 volts and would be a great battery bank. The issue is the solar controller charges the golfcart, then I need a way to get it from the golf carts 36v down to the RV 12v to the second battery bank in the RV.

We are going full boondock solar w 10 panels and a total of 12 batteries which may need to change to 14 if we set up two 48v arrays instead of 36v. I have followed to diagrams for other setups that work well. I plan to have a battery selector switch to turn of any draw from the RV to the golf cart, then have heavy duty Anderson winch disconnect plugs for the cart to the RV. And cart to solar controller. With a houshold main disconnect box from the solar to the controller. I may have to trade in for a 48v golf cart and just get a 48v inverter. We rarely use the golf cart, maybe twice a month and it seems like a perfect battery pack.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 07:15 AM   #2

dc to dc converter

Google 'dc to dc converter 48v to 12v" without quotes

These are made to do exactly what you're asking for

tblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblocker View Post
Google 'dc to dc converter 48v to 12v" without quotes

These are made to do exactly what you're asking for
They don't have good amperage and blow easily. I tried to find one for my golfcart winch and all roads lead to a separate 12v battery. They won't run a 12v inverter.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

I am having trouble understanding what you want to do.
What I think you are saying:

I want my Solar equipped RV to charge the 36 volt batteries on my golf cart.

Ok...put a solar battery charge monitor on your golf cart batteries (they are 6 volts each?) and then wire the RV solar output to the cart Battery charger.

Or, Invert the RV solar to 110 volt and plug in a golf cart charger and charge the batteries.
Old 03-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #5

KISS - keep it simple.

If you have an inverter your rig - just charge up the golf cart off the 120v from the inverter. That way all the panels are setup the to power the rig and if you only charge 2x a month you can do it your house batteries are full and the sun is shining. It would have some electrical losses but not many.

Good luck
Rocketman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman3 View Post
KISS - keep it simple.

If you have an inverter your rig - just charge up the golf cart off the 120v from the inverter. That way all the panels are setup the to power the rig and if you only charge 2x a month you can do it your house batteries are full and the sun is shining. It would have some electrical losses but not many.

Good luck
Yeah but why waste having all those batteries not working for me to run an inverter. My other choice is to get a dozen batteries plus have my golfcart.

I think the easiest is have a 48 volt system with golf cart as a battery pack and a 12v system with a few batteries in the RV. I always wanted to set up a dual bank and inverter for back up options like the guy in the link below. So on the 2nd array have a 12v system for all my 12v stuff and an inverter. Then if I ever need a cheap inverter asap I can get a 12v one while the 48v is down and both are broke. The 48v can run half of my 50 amp, and the 12v system can run the other half. I just couldn't combine the 48 and 12v battery banks as one at any time.

I like this guys setup
https://youtu.be/fHsrB29dxGs

Because you have the shutoffs to work on the system battery switches to connect systems if one side is down, etc
Old 03-05-2020, 05:25 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converting voltages and charge control can get complicated and expensive to move any serious amount of Ah around different storage banks. Just to put the idea out there, if you were to configure the golf cart pack for 12V it could serve as an "extension" to the house batteries, even serving high current loads with adequate cabling. Now the converter/inverter and solar controller you already have in the RV is used for everything. I have no idea how involved it would be to access and re-jumper the pack in the cart and of course it would need to be reconfigured back to 36V to use it, but just suggesting what might be a less complicated and expensive possibility to use this storage.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

I have to admit I know little about solar but I do have a camping buddy who knows quite a bit. He has beaucoup solar on his coach and he also has a solar powered golf cart he pulls on a trailer along with his 4WD Suzuki Gran Vitara.
He replaced the roof of the cart with a large solar panel. I think it's a 250 watt panel and 48 volts but I warned you of my limited knowledge in the area. He is a retired rig welder and said he can do some welding with it.
If you're interested I can ask him the details.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #9

This is somewhat similar to my thread that talks about "cojoining" the RV solar to a Home's power system
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f56/rv-s...ck-477242.html

The issues involve lower voltage but high amperage connections between the RV and the "other" (golf cart or house). And matching battery volts between the two battery systems.

Taking things one click at a time:
As the batteries will certainly be different capacity, age, location, temperature, and charge state, then let's assume to charge them from solar requires a dedicated (to the golf cart) solar charger. Each battery in the bank should be monitored and the system balanced like any other solar charged bank.

Then, there needs to be interconnects between the RV solar array and the golf cart BCC charger / batteries. Inbetween is a type of switch to choose which bank the solar is connected to (RV pack or golf cart pack). Then there are reasonably heavy though flexible cables and quick connections to the Cart (that's the easy part). The switch can be manual or a "smart relay" or a "monitored smart relay" to switch which battery pack is being charged.

If the voltage of RV and golf cart battery packs are same, then the golf cart batteries can be wired (via the "switch) to the RV batteries in parallel to increase RV use capacity (when the golf cart is "docked"). This has to be done so the charging circuit isn't affected (haven't thought that one out yet...maybe a diode based system...).

If the battery packs aren't same voltage (likely), then it would be even more difficult to reconfigure batteries so they are same....

Anyway, the above would be a PITA to implement.
My thought on RV to house sharing is to do this at the 110volt level. I am partnered with a solar company who says they have the hardware to do so. They call it an "inverter", but it does more than just invert. It also blends capacity from one source or the other depending on rules ie: use solar when it's available, and if not enough, then blend in utility grid power for the current needs.
That's the only practical way I can think this would work. And yes, there will be some conversion losses along the way.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:43 AM   #10

DC to DC converter

I've a friend here in Quartzsite that has about 6000 watts of solar on his motor home and cargo trailer. He charges lithium battery banks that he himself has built from scratch. His battery voltages are high. He uses inverters that are powered at the higher DC voltages and obtains 12 volt from dc to dc converters.

12 volt inverters aren't the only inverters on the market.

And there are advantages to powering inverters from higher voltage battery banks. Note that doubling the voltage halves the current. A 48 volt inverter would draw 1/4 the current of a 12 volt. And it's easier and maybe safer to deal with the lower currents. Another benefit, conductor sizes are determined by currents.

For math lovers...

for DC
volts times amps equals watts

for AC you have to also consider power factor, but we disregard this for DC.

Just a little food for thought.
tblocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:10 AM   #11

This will be way easier if your golf cart and big battery bank in the RV are the same voltage. Then you just need a dual battery charger with the golf cart as a second “battery”.

Similar to this guy that uses his tow vehicle as a charger

https://www.adventurousway.com/blog/...charger-review

I’m fairly sure Victron has a 36V inverter/charger but I’ve slept since then.

Good luck

Tags
solar