Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

How are you attaching you solar panels?

I heard that 3m has produced some very sticky tape like material that some are using instead of screws. Are any of you using this material for attaching your solar panels?
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #2

I drilled 3/8 inch holes and used 1/4 inch butterfly bolts--4to a panel. Caulked the area well. No problems yet.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
I heard that 3m has produced some very sticky tape like material that some are using instead of screws. Are any of you using this material for attaching your solar panels?
That's 3M VHB tape, once it's set it's like a weld. AMSolar has been using it to attach panels for a while. On fiberglass roofs it's all that's needed. According to AMSolar they've never lost a panel attached with only VHB tape.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup, VHB tape. If fiberglass roof. Else stainless screws, as included with most mounting brackets.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #5

Ok so what you guys are hearing that 3m stuff works well. No holes. Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Ok so what you guys are hearing that 3m stuff works well. No holes. Thanks for the replies.

I purchased the brackets from AM Solar. They come with VHB tape, and stainless screws...both. You'll need dicor, so you can further protect the bond from the elements.

I've driven about 1500 miles, so far. No problems yet. I read some about the VHB tape...and prepped the surface a bit differently than the videos. I used alcohol, but rubbed the area with a Maroon colored scotchbrite pad, then alcohol again wiping all residue off with a cotton rag. I purchased some 3M Primer ampules from Amazon...and primed the fiberglass surface before attaching the brackets. I don't think it will be easy to take them off..,it will all depend on how well the tape was applied at AM Solar to the bracket.

If you are wary...you can double up on brackets...thus doubling the holding power. I did this on the leading edge pair of brackets...that would take the oncoming wind, or branches directly.

Besides not having holes drilled for each bracket...AM Solar also offer a pair of brackets that allow you to tilt the panels if you wish.

Kinda expensive for what they are...but I'll tell you, it sure saved me a lot of time with mounting. Pretty easy to work with, actually.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #7

We had standard aluminum brackets drilled into roof of Roadtrek. They cracked from
Fatigue in trip through Labrador and Newfoundland. Replaced with same and 315 W panel came off in 60 mph cross winds in Isthmus of Tehuantapec. Strapped panel to rear of vehicle. Bought 1.5" extruded aluminum channel in Playa del Carmen, Yucatán and fabricated mounts with younger son who had flown down with family to join on beach. Held on with multiple screws and sufficient silicon glue.
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I purchased the brackets from AM Solar. They come with VHB tape, and stainless screws...both. You'll need dicor, so you can further protect the bond from the elements.

I've driven about 1500 miles, so far. No problems yet. I read some about the VHB tape...and prepped the surface a bit differently than the videos. I used alcohol, but rubbed the area with a Maroon colored scotchbrite pad, then alcohol again wiping all residue off with a cotton rag. I purchased some 3M Primer ampules from Amazon...and primed the fiberglass surface before attaching the brackets. I don't think it will be easy to take them off..,it will all depend on how well the tape was applied at AM Solar to the bracket.

If you are wary...you can double up on brackets...thus doubling the holding power. I did this on the leading edge pair of brackets...that would take the oncoming wind, or branches directly.

Besides not having holes drilled for each bracket...AM Solar also offer a pair of brackets that allow you to tilt the panels if you wish.

Kinda expensive for what they are...but I'll tell you, it sure saved me a lot of time with mounting. Pretty easy to work with, actually.
Are you saying that even if you dont drill holes that dicor is still needed?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Community Moderator

i somehow don't feel confident enough with the adhesive though many are using it... i made all brackets with right angle aluminum, using #12 x 1.5" ss screws, 2 for each bracket, 4 brackets for each panel. with a lot of dicor.

4 years have past, no sign of failure. last summer at or coast, 60 mph wind side way rocked my coach panels were still firm.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #10

For those using screws to attach the panels to the roof, are you screwing into underlying structure or just the roof sheeting itself?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
For those using screws to attach the panels to the roof, are you screwing into underlying structure or just the roof sheeting itself?

I think that most folks are just screwing down into the sheathing. It would be extremely difficult to get lined up with the structural members underneath.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Are you saying that even if you dont drill holes that dicor is still needed?
Yes...it's just to make sure the 3m tape doesn't spend a lot of time in a puddle of water. Supposed to protect the integrity of the tape.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
With proper prep the VHB will hold...
My only concern with drilling/screwing into the roof is what are you going to hit with that screw ?

Wiring, ac ducting, ????
Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
With proper prep the VHB will hold...
My only concern with drilling/screwing into the roof is what are you going to hit with that screw ?

Wiring, ac ducting, ????
it could happen but very rare.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel, solar panels