Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2022, 08:10 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
When I ran my 2/0 cables, I used Flexable PVC conduit and ran under the coach. They have a variety of clamps to fasten the conduit to the coach. In my case because of the size of wire I ran two conduits, one for positive and one for negative.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2022, 05:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
You shouldn't depend on tour lifepo4 batteries being full to limit the current, since you don't want to burn up your alternator when you end up with low batteries.

Instead what you can do is run your batteries to almost empty and measure how much current is going out with your maximum load you expect. Then start your motor and measure the current into the batteries. If the sum of those 2 numbers is greater then about1/3 of your alternator capacity then an LBIM, or a DC to DC charger is strongly recommended as well as disabling your merge relay.

It may be too late but having your batteries in the same bay as your inverter isn't ideal, since lifepo4 batteries don't like running too hot, and your inverter can heat up an electric bay. Since you already installed them it's unlikely you want to move them
Maybe monitor the temperature and if they tend to run too hot then consider adding some kind of ventilation, or move the batteries.
Yes, they are already in the bay with the inverter. It is a huge open bay though. Hopefully the heat will dissipate. In any case, I will keep an eye on it.

The lithium batteries are so new to me that I didn't really realize the amount of amps they take, even when they are nearly charged up. The large amp draw in this situation does not last long, but I am sure it is more than my alternator will produce.

I will opt for the relay disconnect first. Then see it I need to install the other charger. The solar may take care of it.
Thanks for the input.
WVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
When I ran my 2/0 cables, I used Flexable PVC conduit and ran under the coach. They have a variety of clamps to fasten the conduit to the coach. In my case because of the size of wire I ran two conduits, one for positive and one for negative.
This is an idea I had not considered. I'll keep it in mind just in case I need to change something!
Thanks,
Old 10-11-2022, 12:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPete View Post

I will opt for the relay disconnect first. Then see it I need to install the other charger. The solar may take care of it.
Thanks for the input.
By relay disconnect I assume you are saying you will disable your merge relay until you measure your worst case alternator draw, and then figure out what to do next based on what you find. Good plan.

If it turns out your current draw is too high an LBIM or DC to DC charger is nice,that way even with a residential refrigerator you will arrive at your stopping spot with full batteries, assuming you are not running an air conditioner off your inverter ( most don't, but I sometimes do this)
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:24 PM   #19

At Walmart you can get a indoor/outdoor temperature monitor for about $10. I mounted the sending unit in my electrical compartment and can watch the monitor in the RV. Cheap way to keep an eye on Inverter temp.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
At Walmart you can get a indoor/outdoor temperature monitor for about $10. I mounted the sending unit in my electrical compartment and can watch the monitor in the RV. Cheap way to keep an eye on Inverter temp.
I have done this in the past but the battery monitor and the inverter both use a temperature sense, so I just look at the temperature reading on one of those units.

Tags
battery, cat, location, motor, motorhome