Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2022, 09:25 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Your comparison to a grid tie system is perfect. The batteries in an RV are the grid. Anything that feeds power to the batteries is supplementing the grid power. Whether it is used for charging or powering something is not relevant nor important. Just like a house grid tie system, if the grid goes down, the solar may be able to provide some power for your house, but I don't know anyone that uses a grid tie system this way. When the grid goes down, the power goes down either automatically or manually. This is a big safety issue because back feeding the grid with power is very dangerous for the folks that are trying to fix the grid.
The anti-islanding safety feature prevents back feeding the grid - and keeps the solar from powering the house. Else solar WOULD power the house - just as in a RV.

Would powering the house directly from solar be practical? Of course not, just as in a RV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The anti-islanding safety feature prevents back feeding the grid - and keeps the solar from powering the house. Else solar would provide power the house - just as in a RV.

Would powering the house directly from solar be practical? Of course not, just as in a RV.
Agree.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:48 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
It should be obvious that my comments about how solar and batteries work in your RV relate 100% to what is practical, typical and logical in an RV.

Could something be done that isn't "practical, typical and logical" in an RV? Of course, and I'm certainly not saying that something impractical, untypical or illogical can't be done in your RV.
Old 04-11-2022, 11:29 AM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It should be obvious that my comments about how solar and batteries work in your RV relate 100% to what is practical, typical and logical in an RV.

Could something be done that isn't "practical, typical and logical" in an RV? Of course, and I'm certainly not saying that something impractical, untypical or illogical can't be done in your RV.
Agree, folks have gotten off the track of what orginally brought up this path of discussion...

### Does SOME power from the SCC go to loads in NORMAL operation OR does ALL power ALL the time come from the batteries? ###

I contend some power may come from the SCC directly to the loads.

Amps going to the battery bank is net of loads. So, yes, i contend some power from the SCC goes directly to loads. If my SCC indicates 50a output, and my shunt based battery monitor indicates 40a going into the battery bank. There is 10a from the SCC going directly to support loads.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 04:46 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
and a WOW I did post on this thread a meaningless personal use of a simple system that yes I can plug into shore, run my genny, turn inverter on and have solar cranking in 100% sun at my 24-26A max potential and either turn on my AC or just the TV and nothing explodes or there is NO smoke and my house electrical meter is not spinning backwards..

From the OP to now grid tie in a house to batterys as a grid,,, ?????? KIS keep it simple
sibe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, generator, lithium, service, solar