Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #1

How to use my new solar system to charge my engine battery also?

I just got finished installing 675 Watts on the roof of my RV.
Now I no longer have to have a cord running across my front porch in order for my battery's to stay charged.
Now that I am relying on just my solar to maintain my battery's it has dawned on me that only the house battery's are being charged not the engine battery.

In the past I had a separate trickle charger that ran to my engine battery so while on shore power my 3 stage smart converter took care of the house battery's, and the trickle charger took care of the engine battery.

I know I can turn on my 1000 watt Xantrex inverter and it would in turn power the trickle charger.

But is there another way?

I have the morning star MPPT 60 for my charge controller and the Bogart 2030-RV monitor.
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A Bird or similar device that interconnects the house and chassis batteries for just such a charging need is the way many people go.

A few solar controllers gave outputs for a second battery set. For example, configure 90% of the solar harvest directed to the house batteries and 10% to the chassis batteries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Google battery combiners, yandina, cirix. Blue sea all good with little current draw
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #4

Thank u twinboat,, I did some looking they start around $50.00 I see.
I was just wondering what other people do, like do they leave there inverter on for over 30 to 60 days so it can power the trickle charger that will maintain the engine starting battery.
While RV is parked in drive way between RV trips.
letting the solar panels do the job of keeping both battery's up.
Or is there any reason that I would be better off plunging up to shore power and let my inverter do the work and just shut down the solar system?
Old 11-29-2014, 10:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have my solar controller set for 90/10 as mentioned above. I also have a factory installed Trik-L-Start.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:32 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trik-L-Start...it is made to do exactly what the OP wants.
Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ktoutoor, what about mounting a small 20-100 watt panel just to trickle charge your chassis battery? If it is small enough you don,t need a controller.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
YC1

Definitely do not try the inverter route. Bad weather could lead to dead house batteries.
The trik-l-start device is what I used on a couple of rv's. The Yandina makes a good product as well. A simple jumper will suffice too.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Two Systems Installed Side-By-Side

While on the roof installing the coach PV, I installed an extra 100watt panel for the chassis batteries. Ran the wires down to a small charge controller alongside, and in the same chase as, the PV wiring for the coach battery charge controller. The nine panels appear as one array on the roof, but PV#4 (in the center of the array) is dedicated to charging the chassis batteries.

\ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0282C.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	80253   Click image for larger version

Name:	OnePlaceChargeControllersC.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	80254  

Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #10

Thats a good ideal.
Very clean looking install
Old 01-18-2015, 09:50 PM   #11

This is just the thread I was looking for. I have to eliminate the cord to the RV, because i fear I will drive off with it attached. Almost did it today.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
While on the roof installing the coach PV, I installed an extra 100watt panel for the chassis batteries. Ran the wires down to a small charge controller alongside, and in the same chase as, the PV wiring for the coach battery charge controller. The nine panels appear as one array on the roof, but PV#4 (in the center of the array) is dedicated to charging the chassis batteries.

\ken
Thats an expensive way to do it and wastes much of the PV power. The Trik-L-Start is only about $45 and will charge from any source with or without the sun shining. Then all that extra PV power can be utilized by the house battery system and loads.

And, for others reading this, Blue Sky Energy IPN charge controllers have an auxiliary battery charger built in so no need for extra PV solar or a Trik-L-Start.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
This is just the thread I was looking for. I have to eliminate the cord to the RV, because i fear I will drive off with it attached. Almost did it today.
Write the words "Power Cord" on a clothespin and put it on your steering wheel or somewhere you can't miss before driving away. I leave my key in the ignition and clip my notice pins there so I can't start the engine without the reminder(s).
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
Write the words "Power Cord" on a clothespin and put it on your steering wheel or somewhere you can't miss before driving away. I leave my key in the ignition and clip my notice pins there so I can't start the engine without the reminder(s).
Good idea, On saturday, I did drive off with the extension cord attached to the RV. Friends were visiting from out of town, and we all piled into the RV, to go to the Louisville RV show. In my excitement to see them, and actually do a trip in the RV, I forgot to unplug it, and now i know the extension cord almost reaches to the end of the driveway, as it was laying there, when returned.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, solar