Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Going Green
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installed inverter & solar, now what?

Before hitting the road as a full time RVer in our 35' A gas Winnebago I installed a 1500 watt MSW inverter, 400 watts of solar power with charge controller and Trimetric meter. I have one new outlet in the kitchen that is connected directly to the inverter. I have no other way to take advantage of my efforts. I am installing a residential refrigerator this week and would like too get power from the inverter when traveling. Is there a device that allows the inverter to be automatically selected as power source when no other power is available?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum Allen Flanagan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Apparently your inverter does not have an internal transfer switch? If it did you could install a subpanel and route the output if the inverter to it. The subpanel would have breakers for what you want powered. If the inverter had a transfer switch, when your on shore or generator it would pass the power through to the subpanel. With out shore power the inverter would power the subpanel. Or you could do at member vsheets did with his system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSheetz - Solar Setup for my RV v1.1.pdf (473.7 KB, 92 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:14 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yeah, it is just a basic Xantrex inverter that I bought on sale at camping world. I never thought I would really need it. I just put in for the heck of it, then did solar. Each does what it is supposed to do but nothing more.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could install an external transfer switch to have the inverter power the refrigerator. I found the attached PDF of a transfer switch made by Xantrex, might give them a call to see if they still make it. Here is a link to the transfer switch.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...fer-relay.aspx
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 975-0588-01-01_Rev-A(Auto Transfer Switch).pdf (217.2 KB, 40 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
You could install an external transfer switch to have the inverter power the refrigerator. I found the attached PDF of a transfer switch made by Xantrex, might give them a call to see if they still make it. Here is a link to the transfer switch.

http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...fer-relay.aspx
Thanks, I'll start searching for that/a transfer switch and schematics.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:12 AM   #6

This is how I hooked up my auto transfer switch

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for sharing your video, thought I needed whole coach wired to transfer switch. Your project changed my understanding.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 AM   #8

You say that you will be installing a residential refrigerator and plan to run it off a MSW inverter, I thought that it would require a PSW inverter.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #9

I'm glad my video helped you out.
ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Prospector View Post
You say that you will be installing a residential refrigerator and plan to run it off a MSW inverter, I thought that it would require a PSW inverter.
Most refrigerators work with MSW inverters. Tiffin uses GE refrigerators with MSW and Samsung verifies some models work with MSW.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fridge is a magic chef. They say no inverters and no RV so I am on my own. It is installed and working well on shore power. Guess I could put in a small dedicated PSW just for the fridge with a dedicated transfer switch. Learning as I go,

Old 12-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #12

FWIW For parts I would talk to an Industrial Electrician or electrical supply company. All the transfer switch really is is a relay run off 120VAC. The industrial control folks do the same thing routinely to control motors. An enclosed Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) contactor in a box is what you need. Industrial Control folks use contactors, electronics folks use relays and mechanics use solenoids. All the same thing but you sometimes need the correct term. ;-) From what I have heard around the refrigerator draws less than 200 W or ~ 1/3 HP. Probably the smallest parts they have are rated higher. If you really want to switch the neutral 3PDT contactors are routinely used to switch 3 phase so should be on the shelf. As I said, all you need is a 120 V coil and a voltage rating over 120 VAC. There is a lot of 440 and 660 3 phase around so anything designed for those services will work.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter, solar